Hi, I'm the Dvl Dug

OP
OP
Dvl Dug

Dvl Dug

Reaction score
DD I hope you like it here it's very different then Seahawk Blue but you articulate well even if you disagree with me so I'm fine with that and we need more people like that here.
Thanks, and it's very kind of you to say that, MizzouHawkGal.

In a lot of ways, it's sort of like getting two people into an office that both have what I call, A-lot-of-give-a-damn. It's a trait that is, admired, desired, and needed, but eventually those two are going to disagree about something at some point.

Once upon a time, I could have been considered not very easy to get along with. I'm in my mid 50's now, kind of set for life for the most part, and sort of taking a step back from it all. Looking back...

Growing up with four little sisters, two of them half sisters, two of them step sisters, yet never living with more than one of them at any one time. My avoiding trouble, meant keeping those little sisters of mine out of trouble.

I'm really not sure that the Seahawks Management shares my same values today, in fact I am rather certain that they do not, as they are babying these players. They are more like adoption parents than an older brother.

Never know what you are going to get in response here, eh?
(fair enough - I'll shut up now)

OP
OP
Dvl Dug

Dvl Dug

Reaction score
Oh good gawd, can I please be excused from being advertised as the new guy yet?

Last edited:

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
If you can ignore the noise we have some seriously knowledgeable guys that know football here.

Oh good gawd, can I please be excused from being advertised as the new guy?
I'm not liking this at all.
You are officially OG in my opinion. But it doesn't really matter because it's mostly dog eat dog here so if I can defend myself you sure can and will fit right in.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Fun fact.... right after the first Iraq war I was all over the Middle East and Western Europe updating our RDF and NATO munitions bunkers. So if a nuke war happens you can probably blame me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dvl Dug

Dvl Dug

Reaction score
Fun fact.... right after the first Iraq war I was all over the Middle East and Western Europe updating our RDF and NATO munitions bunkers. So if a nuke war happens you can probably blame me.
No, not gonna blame you.

Last edited:

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Mathy question for you Ad Hawk- Maybe you have an answer...
(Others feel free to chyme in)

NFL teams always look at average yards per carry. Yet, I think more in terms of the arithmetic mean being the more common factor that advances the 1st down chains, especially when it comes to yards per carry. Examples to follow...

RB1 - Runs 20 times in a game, but averages 2 yards on 19 carries (38 yards). Then he explodes for a 62 yard run that gives him a total of 100 yards and a 5 yard average on the day. Result, 1 first down. This is my example of, Average.

RB2 - Runs 20 times in a game, but all his runs are for between 4 to 6 yards. Most of those runs being closer to exactly 5 yards, and he gains 100 yards during the game. Result, 10 first downs. This is my example of, Arithmetic Mean.

Question being, I've never seen any online statistical site that tracks & compares Arithmetic Mean, versus average, have you?

"Average" in its most common usage and "arithmetic mean" are the same thing: add up the individual numbers and divide by how many there were. Both of the hypothetical RB games you cited had average rushes of five yards, that is, the arithmetic means of both running backs' rush yards gained per carry was 5 yards/carry.

There are two common and easy-to-understand tools from descriptive statistics that you could use to differentiate the two. One is the standard deviation (or equivalently, the closely related variance) and the other is the median.

The standard deviation is a rough measure of how far the individual points are from the arithmetic mean. RB1's yardage would have a larger standard deviation than RB2's. If you want the technical details, it's not hard at all to calculate a standard deviation. You calculate the arithmetic mean (average), and then you subtract that from each data point, square each result, and then add up all those squares and divide by the number of data points. That gives you the variance. The standard deviation is the square root of the variance.

The median is simply the middle value in an ordered list of numbers. To find a median, you have to take the list and put it in order first (either from smallest to largest or from largest to smallest). Then if the number of numbers in the list is odd, you just take the middle one and that's the median. If the number of numbers in the list is even, then you take the arithmetic mean of the two in the middle.

Example
Let's say I'm looking at this list of numbers: 8, 5, 11, 2, 16, 27, 1, 7, 8, 6
There are ten numbers in the list.
The arithmetic mean of the numbers in the list is (8+5+11+2+16+27+1+7+8+6)/10 = 91/10 = 9.1

The sum of the squared distances from the mean is (8-9.1)² + (5-9.1)² + (11-9.1)² + (2-9.1)² (16-9.1)² + (27-9.1)² + (1-9.1)² + (7-9.1)²+ (8-9.1)² + (6-9.1)², which turns out to be about 520.9.
The variance of the numbers in the list is then about 520.9/10 = 52.09
The standard deviation of the numbers in the list is then the square root of 52.09, or about 7.2

To find the median, I have to put the list in order first. I'll go from smallest to largest, but the opposite would work too. Either way, the middle's the middle.
The ordered list is 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 8, 8, 11, 16, 27. It has ten numbers, and 10 is an even number, so I need to take the arithmetic mean of the fifth and sixth numbers in the list (the two in the middle). Those numbers are 7 and 8. The arithmetic mean of those two is (7+8)/2 = 7.5. So the median of the list is 7.5

Let's pretend that last number in the original list (a 6) isn't there. Then the list is 8, 5, 11, 2, 16, 27, 1, 7, 8.
There are then nine numbers in the list.
The list in order is 1, 2, 5, 7, 8, 8, 11, 16, 27.
The element in the middle is the fifth (there are four before it and four after it). That happens to be 8 in this case, so the median is 8.

A great example to understand why the median is useful is to consider three people: a homeless guy on the street, Bill Gates, and me. On average, we're multibillionaires, because if you add up our fortunes and divide by three, you'll get the arithmetic mean of our collected wealth, which is tens of billions of dollars. The median fortune is mine.
Now consider the population of the country. In the same way that Gates's fortune skewed the average, a few wealthy people can make things look better than they really are if you consider mean wealth or mean income. A way to get a better idea of how things are for the people in the middle (and as a better description of how the population is doing) is to look at median wealth or median income.

In your example, RB1's median rush would be lower than RB2's.

OP
OP
Dvl Dug

Dvl Dug

Reaction score
Fun fact.... right after the first Iraq war I was all over the Middle East and Western Europe updating our RDF and NATO munitions bunkers. So if a nuke war happens you can probably blame

"Average" in its most common usage and "arithmetic mean" are the same thing: add up the individual numbers and divide by how many there were. Both of the hypothetical RB games you cited had average rushes of five yards, that is, the arithmetic means of both running backs' rush yards gained per carry was 5 yards/carry.

There are two common and easy-to-understand tools from descriptive statistics that you could use to differentiate the two. One is the standard deviation (or equivalently, the closely related variance) and the other is the median.

The standard deviation is a rough measure of how far the individual points are from the arithmetic mean. RB1's yardage would have a larger standard deviation than RB2's. If you want the technical details, it's not hard at all to calculate a standard deviation. You calculate the arithmetic mean (average), and then you subtract that from each data point, square each result, and then add up all those squares and divide by the number of data points. That gives you the variance. The standard deviation is the square root of the variance.

The median is simply the middle value in an ordered list of numbers. To find a median, you have to take the list and put it in order first (either from smallest to largest or from largest to smallest). Then if the number of numbers in the list is odd, you just take the middle one and that's the median. If the number of numbers in the list is even, then you take the arithmetic mean of the two in the middle.

Example
Let's say I'm looking at this list of numbers: 8, 5, 11, 2, 16, 27, 1, 7, 8, 6
There are ten numbers in the list.
The arithmetic mean of the numbers in the list is (8+5+11+2+16+27+1+7+8+6)/10 = 91/10 = 9.1

The sum of the squared distances from the mean is (8-9.1)² + (5-9.1)² + (11-9.1)² + (2-9.1)² (16-9.1)² + (27-9.1)² + (1-9.1)² + (7-9.1)²+ (8-9.1)² + (6-9.1)², which turns out to be about 520.9.
The variance of the numbers in the list is then about 520.9/10 = 52.09
The standard deviation of the numbers in the list is then the square root of 52.09, or about 7.2

To find the median, I have to put the list in order first. I'll go from smallest to largest, but the opposite would work too. Either way, the middle's the middle.
The ordered list is 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 8, 8, 11, 16, 27. It has ten numbers, and 10 is an even number, so I need to take the arithmetic mean of the fifth and sixth numbers in the list (the two in the middle). Those numbers are 7 and 8. The arithmetic mean of those two is (7+8)/2 = 7.5. So the median of the list is 7.5

Let's pretend that last number in the original list (a 6) isn't there. Then the list is 8, 5, 11, 2, 16, 27, 1, 7, 8.
There are then nine numbers in the list.
The list in order is 1, 2, 5, 7, 8, 8, 11, 16, 27.
The element in the middle is the fifth (there are four before it and four after it). That happens to be 8 in this case, so the median is 8.

A great example to understand why the median is useful is to consider three people: a homeless guy on the street, Bill Gates, and me. On average, we're multibillionaires, because if you add up our fortunes and divide by three, you'll get the arithmetic mean of our collected wealth, which is tens of billions of dollars. The median fortune is mine.
Now consider the population of the country. In the same way that Gates's fortune skewed the average, a few wealthy people can make things look better than they really are if you consider mean wealth or mean income. A way to get a better idea of how things are for the people in the middle (and as a better description of how the population is doing) is to look at median wealth or median income.

In your example, RB1's median rush would be lower than RB2's.
Lagartixa,

Yes, I had meant median earlier. Used to be, that I used all those terms on a daily basis, but it's been so many years now.
Great post! Thanks for the friendly reminder. 🏈

OP
OP
Dvl Dug

Dvl Dug

Reaction score
Seems like everybody is surprised by the Hawk's WIN over the Lyon's in week two.
I'm just surprised the Hawk's didn't run up the middle more than they did.

Hawk's have a special offensive line this year, with good depth too!
Detroit Lyons just witnessed the same...

Loved both the eight & nine blocker formations to start the game. Keep doing it!

Last edited:

Aussie Seahawk

Reaction score
Late reply from me, but I have always lived in South Australia, ever since I arrived here from England as a toddler (I'm 63).

I barrack [=US root, etc] for the Seattle Seahawks because when I first became interested in American Football, in 1985, I chose Seattle, simply because of a poster I had seen before; the "obvious" view from Queen Anne Hill, looking towards Rainier... of course with the Space Needle in centre focus. I didn't even know if Seattle had a team in the NFL back then!

Spent three weeks near Seattle (Poulsbo) in Oct 1996, and went to two games at the Kingdome. A definitive visit for me.

OP
OP
Dvl Dug

Dvl Dug

Reaction score
Late reply from me, but I have always lived in South Australia, ever since I arrived here from England as a toddler (I'm 63).

I barrack [=US root, etc] for the Seattle Seahawks because when I first became interested in American Football, in 1985, I chose Seattle, simply because of a poster I had seen before; the "obvious" view from Queen Anne Hill, looking towards Rainier... of course with the Space Needle in centre focus. I didn't even know if Seattle had a team in the NFL back then!

Spent three weeks near Seattle (Poulsbo) in Oct 1996, and went to two games at the Kingdome. A definitive visit for me.
Aussie Seahawk - Thanks for your reply, and that's a cute story! My wife and I are located southeast of Seattle, so we have Mt Rainier in view most days, depending on the Rain... part.

Once upon a time (1991), my flotilla was headed to Australia, before going on to the Persian Gulf. We ended up missing our proposed visitation there when Mt. Pinatubo erupted in the Philippines. We ended up evacuating thousands of people from Subic Bay, on up to the island of Cebu. I'm sure visiting Perth or Sydney would have been more fun.

Isn't it interesting how we pick our favorite sports teams? Me, I just liked their original helmets, those with the Native American looking bird on it.

Is it appropriate for me to say, "God Rest The Queen"?

Aussie Seahawk

Reaction score
Also, I knew Seattle had a relatively cool and wet climate, and it was midsummer here, stinking hot and horribly dry. I also (sort-of) follow West Ham United in the English (soccer) Premier League, because of a character called Alf Garnett, in an old Brit sitcom called "Till Death Us Do Part" - he was a West Ham fan. The character was a bigoted, opinionated, racist fool, but the show actually lampooned these things; however, it was controversial back in the 70s! The actor himself (Warren Mitchell) was in real life the complete opposite of the character.

I'm sorry you didn't make it to Sydney or Perth; you would have LOVED it, and be made to feel very welcome. However, of course your humanitarian aid was absolutely critical. What was your ship?

My father was a strike/ASW pilot in the Royal Navy's Fleet Air Arm. He always said the food on American ships was vastly superior to the Brit food, but of course horrified US Naval ships were dry! He told me, many years ago, of crew on some Navy ship (not his) which supposedly "stopped" (not sure how!) right on top of the Mariana Trench, on a "holiday" - and some went swimming. Illogically, I would have found THAT utterly terrifying!

And yes indeed, thank you about The Queen.

Last edited: