Zach Miller Returns

MVP53

Reaction score
theascension":w6uxq6c4 said:
I know most retired NFL players say don't take a paycut but with Miller he's a family man now and I'm sure has invested his millions. He easily has enough to retire comfortably on and put his kids in school for the future.

This just speaks volumes of how great the organization and fans are, it must be pretty attractive to stick with Seattle for Miller if he takes a 2 year 50% paycut.

He didn't take a pay cut cause he's a swell guy.

He could either take a pay cut & stay here, or take a pay cut & go elsewhere. So it goes in the world of non guaranteed contracts.

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
Thanks Zach. Fans can try to spin it, but this is a team friendly move by him.

As far as carrying four TEs into camp, we saw what happened last year. One got injured and we were left scrambling. There is zero downside to bringing all four in and letting the numbers shake out. We don't even know what McCoy is going to look like coming off the achilles. He was never the fastest to begin with.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
MVP53":3l3n3lig said:
theascension":3l3n3lig said:
I know most retired NFL players say don't take a paycut but with Miller he's a family man now and I'm sure has invested his millions. He easily has enough to retire comfortably on and put his kids in school for the future.

This just speaks volumes of how great the organization and fans are, it must be pretty attractive to stick with Seattle for Miller if he takes a 2 year 50% paycut.

He didn't take a pay cut cause he's a swell guy.

He could either take a pay cut & stay here, or take a pay cut & go elsewhere. So it goes in the world of non guaranteed contracts.

I try to be objective about these things and that's a fair point, but you also have to consider that Miller is young and will likely get another NFL contract. He could've easily taken that $3-4m from a team that would actually pass him the ball and theoretically increase his value for later deals.

He was paid handsomely to be here early on so it all sort of evens itself out, but he's certainly had to make sacrifices playing in this system.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
gargantual":sno8hite said:
I appreciate the savings that will allow other moves, as well as wiggle room towards extending Sherm and ET, but a bummer Miller is taking a paycut.

I get it his stats are down because of how much he blocks but Miller is still grossly overpaid, the fact he made 9 million last season and was our second highest paid player is pretty ridiculous.

I am sure he wanted to stay a Hawk but I am sure he resigned because he realized he wasn't going to make much money elsewhere. Brandon Pettigrew has a similar profile (above average blocker, good hands, not the fastest guy) is a couple years younger) and only got 4 million per.

CornerHawk

Reaction score
OffseasonChampions":1srmqrc0 said:
But everyone around here was saying he would be cut, I heard it on the interwebs so it must be true!

He would have been if he didn't take a 50% pay cut.

nanomoz

Reaction score
This is terrific news. Lots of fans devalue his contribution since he's not putting up lots of stats. It'd be glorious if the Hawks could keep 3 tight ends healthy and use a jumbo personnel groupings along with the play action repertoire.

rideaducati

Reaction score
OffseasonChampions":1e048y1b said:
But everyone around here was saying he would be cut, I heard it on the interwebs so it must be true!

Had he not restructured his contract, he would have been cut.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Glad hes staying a bit longer, I appreciate his blocking and when he (finally) can catch a pass.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Miller is a beast and a gentleman for taking a pay cut for the good of the team. I thought all along they would keep this vital cog in the offense.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Lady Talon":ma13tfs6 said:
Glad hes staying a bit longer, I appreciate his blocking and when he (finally) can catch a pass.

Two years is more than a "bit," IMO. If you were paying attention, Miller did share the co-lead for TD receptions in 2013 with five.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
gargantual":w4wipw1o said:
I appreciate the savings that will allow other moves, as well as wiggle room towards extending Sherm and ET, but a bummer Miller is taking a paycut. He's the very definition of team player, quietly accepting lower catching stats to make up for deficiencies on the O line.

Thanks Zach.

Bummer?

The guy made 10-11 million last year (missed 2 games). The guy is doing alright.

lukerguy

Reaction score
Awesome. I was sort of hoping we may do this for Clem. He would see that that market was soft around 4 MM and keep him for less.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
hawknation2014":3ev50v6k said:
Lady Talon":3ev50v6k said:

Two years is more than a "bit," IMO. If you were paying attention, Miller did share the co-lead for TD receptions in 2013 with five.

2 came vs Jacksonville but okay.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
hawknation2014":3keuej9h said:
Miller is a beast and a gentleman for taking a pay cut for the good of the team. I thought all along they would keep this vital cog in the offense.

It's unlikely he altruistically did this to help the team. I would say this is more a reflection that he knows his market worth right now.

Lady Talon

Reaction score
hawknation2014":2g804qrv said:
Lady Talon":2g804qrv said:

I was paying attn at the end of 2012 as well, when he was a valuable offensive weapon in nearly every game despite battling a foot injury. Despite his 5 TDs, he was an awesome light OT this year. Rather see the 2012 version in 2014, if it's ok with you.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Thank you Zach Miller!

Now they get to keep that skillset and bring McCoy back in along with Luke Willson, who can become more of an answer as a receiver.

Latest posts