Wouldn't expect a blow-out this weekend.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Just my opinion/theory...

I realize Jacksonville is just not very good. No offense to the organization or their fans (Seahawks fans have no rational reason to dislike the Jaguars, we have no real history to speak of that I know of) but this should be an easy win. I realize 'any given sunday' and 'parity' and yadda yadda but there's just no way we lose at home to a team in their position of admitted rebuilding. I hope no Jacksonville fans visiting our forum read this and think it comes off as trash-talk or pity. Their team is simply at step 1 of a rebuild. That's just how it goes sometimes.

However I also wouldn't look for this to be a slaughter, either. If your'e looking for our offense to look amazing, this won't be the game. Please don't come here after a mediocre statistical day and act like the sky is falling.

1.) Injuries - there's no reason to go all-out here. Our game plan should be conservative. I see a LOT of runs in our future. This could mean several 3-and-outs as we try to just minimize the amount of plays. Expect a lot of Turbin. Possibly an extra helping of Michael. Don't expect prolific passing plays where we're sending our guys over the middle or anything.

2.) Still missing key players at positions that set up big plays. Pass rushers are missing. Okung will be out. The kinds of players that keep the framework of the offense and defense intact won't be on the field, adding even more reason to play a conservative game.

3.) Nothing to prove - I don't believe in the "emotional let down" factor very much. The idea that professional athletes are emotionally depleted after a big game like the one on sunday and therefore won't be fully into their next opponent just seems silly to me. But this team is going to be very confident going into a game against an opponent whom would likely admit they are outmatched. There will not be a lack of motivation, but there may be a lack of urgency to create the kinds of chaos we are used to seeing. Our defense is nasty. They talk a lot and try to get in the heads of their opponents. I don't see them doing that to a team that they know they have outmatched.

4.) Gus Bradley - I don't see us abusing a team that he's trying to rebuild just to prove anything to anyone.

The point spread on the game is 20 points. There's a lot of talk about how we should destroy these guys. I think there might be a little disappointment from fans here if we don't come out and put up another 58-0 type game. Don't set yourself up to be let down. I think this game will be ultra-conservative with an emphasis on winding down the clock. We'll probably settle for many field goals. Don't feak out of that's the case. We have a tough couple of early road games to prepare for.

My prediction:

Seahawks 22 Jacksonville 6

HawkFan72

Reaction score
We better not play vanilla. The Jags are going to be throwing everything they've got at us in an attempt to beat us. What a statement if they were the first team to win in Seattle since 2011!

Think that won't make headlines?

The Seahawks are idiots if they don't take this game seriously. Rest the players if it's a blowout like Buffalo.

Otherwise, you play your best and use it as a chance to get some things right that haven't gone right so far.

BAllenHawk

Reaction score
I agree 100% on the conservative part, because Jacksonville's only shot is to create turnovers. I still think Seattle takes it's shots though. It's just who they are.

They will stick with what got them to 2-0, which is lights out defense, and running the rock.

Erebus

Reaction score
The reason I believe it will be a blowout is the same reason we blew out Arizona last year. The defense is going to come up with several turnovers, some of which might directly turn into TDs from the defense, others will set up the offense with a short field. The offense itself doesn't have to go all out to put up a lot of points.

OP
OP
Hawknballs

Hawknballs

Reaction score
HawkFan72":2aam9adw said:
We better not play vanilla. The Jags are going to be throwing everything they've got at us in an attempt to beat us. What a statement if they were the first team to win in Seattle since 2011!

The Seahawks are idiots if they don't take this game seriously. Rest the players if it's a blowout like Buffalo.

Otherwise, you play your best and use it as a chance to get some things right that haven't gone right so far.

I don't think there was any implication that we wouldn't take the game seriously. But a team without a QB or weapons throwing everything they've got against the leagues' best defense is only going to go bad for them.

seanoob

Reaction score
Not sure why the hawks would hold back. It doesn't seem like great playing comes from a spigot that you can turn on and off. Hope they smash the Jags as expected.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Erebus":2orc5cxq said:
The reason I believe it will be a blowout is the same reason we blew out Arizona last year. The defense is going to come up with several turnovers, some of which might directly turn into TDs from the defense, others will set up the offense with a short field. The offense itself doesn't have to go all out to put up a lot of points.

This was my first thought, too.

It'd be silly for the offense to rest rather than continue to fine tune and get better. And don't you think the defense would love to shut out the Jaguars like the Chiefs did? (Safety in that game, which likely won't happen against us.)

themunn

Reaction score
games like this are opportunities for players to pad their stats so that their end-of-season results look better

OP
OP
Hawknballs

Hawknballs

Reaction score
All those scenarios could happen. It could be 70-0. I would just rather not see people here freak out about it if that's not the case.

CANHawk

Reaction score
I think it's going to be like Arizona, where they were clearly trying to not run up the score, but Arizona couldn't get out of their own damn way. It's not like our guys are going to take a knee on the 5 yard line when they have a clear path to the endzone.

I don't see 50 points, but +30 is not out of the realm of possibility...

Laloosh

Reaction score
I just hope it's a big enough lead at the half that we can sit Wilson and a few others; let the backups get some PT.

sutz

Reaction score
I guess it depends on what you call a blowout. :229031_shrug:

With the gambling establishment trolling for somebody-anybody-to lay money on the Jags, it seems that even the experts are on the bandwagon this week. And yes, double digit spreads in the NFL is pure trolling to get action on one side of the ledger. Nobody with any brains is putting cash on Jax, regardless of the line.

LawlessHawk

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised that if we jump out to an early comfortable lead that Pete pulls off the gas pedal a bit with the offense and runs clock to get out of this game as unscathed as possible.

But short of pulling the starting D off the field can we really rein those guys in?? They could run up the score all on their own...

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Hawknballs":3rwwpeo5 said:
HawkFan72":3rwwpeo5 said:

I don't think there was any implication that we wouldn't take the game seriously. But a team without a QB or weapons throwing everything they've got against the leagues' best defense is only going to go bad for them.

I understand that, but I have just seen the Seahawks lose too many times to inferior teams. Teams with backup QBs and no running game, and no WRs. Because they didn't take them seriously and got burned by a couple trick plays.

The Seahawks offense is not rolling right now. Gus Bradley is going to have his D fired up to play. Think he doesn't want to win this game more than any other game this year? Jason Babin hates the Seahawks for releasing him and would love to have a field day against whoever lines up at LT. I could easily see them being able to hold our offense down since we've been struggling so much. Throw in a few trick plays and you have a low-scoring trap game.

Later in the year they would have no chance, but in Week 3 anything could happen.

I have full confidence the Seahawks will win. I just think that if they don't take it seriously they are asking for trouble. Just like I don't think they took the first Rams game seriously last year and they lost on trickery.

BocciHawk

Reaction score
I somewhat agree with the OP. I think we'll get ahead by 11 points or so and then coast a bit. I do think we'll see a lot of Turbin and may see Michael active.

Conversely I also think that the organization may look at this game as an opportunity to get Russell firing on all cylinders in the passing game. It would not surprise me at all to see a lot of five to ten yard passing plays, timing plays, all over the field, to every receiver. I'd love to see 20 completions to eight or nine different players for 200 yards.

freezefail

Reaction score
After the beatdown to the niners (my team), i expect you guys to annihilate JAX. The spread is 19.5 right now, at least cover the bet for me :) I will be disappointed otherwise :34853_doh:
ON TOP OF THAT....I have you guys as my defense/ST in my money fantasy league...

Latest posts