Would You Trade Russell Wilson For Three 1st Round Picks?

DrDix

Reaction score
Man NFL fans over value draft picks way too much. Do you trade Connor McDavid for 3 first round draft picks? In no universe do you even consider it.

Now obviously RW3 isn't the NFL equivalent to McDavid, nor are draft pick expectations the same for NHL and NFL, but the point is, no, you don't make an incredibly stupid move. Even considering trading our best player is moronic.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Just how many 1st round picks has Cleveland burned in trying to find a franchise QB?

We have one. He's shorter than the ideal and inclined to holding onto the ball well after he should but he has moments towards the ends of game when he is magic. The team has failed to protect him in the pocket and I’d not be surprised he isn’t quietly PO’d about it. He could easily be as good as Rodgers with some protection ( I honestly believe that to be true).

To the question posed: Answer, no way. We have our franchise QB they are impossibly hard to find and you don’t trade them away.

uncle fester

Reaction score
THE TABS":1cg5h5fe said:
We went 35 years without a franchise quarterback, and I have no interest in waiting 35 more for another one.

^^^Thread could probably have ended here^^^

In the spirit of the conversation though, I genuinely used to love watching Dave Krieg, even though I was never convinced if he’d show up in a game. I also used to think 9-7 was a brilliant record for a season and those teams that won 12 - 15 games a year were made of mystical woo and other such solid foundations.

Until Favre came along, Dave Krieg held the all-time NFL record for fumbles.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
The question is more this...

Do the Seahawks want to adopt a system in which they continually re-draft the Qb (and other star players) once they get to be too much money.

Alot to be said about that philosophy in either direction.

Seymour

Reaction score
vigilantgrrl":2ad5dlbo said:
Hell Yes! Wish we did it this past year!

Yikes!! A girl with a gun and a resentment wants Russ gone? :twisted: :3-1:

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
This answer depends on a few things in order of importance:

#1 - How much credibility do you put on the rumors that Wilson doesn't plan to renew his contract with Seattle?

This is a guy that has sprung for the spotlight at every opportunity. You don't think that New York or LA would give him much more visibility than Seattle? There is a very good chance that whether we keep Wilson or not is not a choice we get to make. If you see this risk as high, then might feel making the trade is the best risk you can take.

#2 - How confident are you that these draft picks can turn into something to rebuild the team?

The FO has had a problem making impactful picks. They have gotten players that can produce but the stars and studs. My call would be to call Scot, give him a boatload of money and then get whomever else was on that original staff that you can - to work together to see if you can swing for the fences again. But some of that was the combination of FO and assistant coaches working together to unearth diamonds. Some of those coaches are on other teams now, so catching that lightning in a bottle likely won't work. That said, our first SB happened because of a few #1 picks that became Walter Jones but it took a while.

#3 - How long are we keeping Pete?

If Pete continues to stay for long, then we might as well get rid of Wilson. Pete has shown he cannot change or takes too long to. Continuing to give him Wilson allows him every excuse not to change. We will not be an elite team with Wilson & Pete but missing the great defense. I don't believe that Pete can pop together an amazing defense like some do - he very much relies on having great players. But I would at least like to see what Wilson with an offensive minded coach that could scheme to his strengths would look like. That would be worth keeping Wilson for.

#4 - Finally, what is the measure of success?

Is to be a perennially good team that is a threat in the playoffs? Then you have to keep Wilson and build a team and coaching staff around him that gives him the best chance.

To go to the SB and win another? You have to trade Wilson and rebuild. High-cost QBs make it near impossible to compete with the SB templates out there. Even so, you have maybe a 20% chance and a few years of building to see if it works for you. And you have to have the FO and staff. Pete won't last that long, so how would you do it?

Seymour

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":35z45dij said:
This answer depends on a few things in order of importance:

#1 - How much credibility do you put on the rumors that Wilson doesn't plan to renew his contract with Seattle?

This is a guy that has sprung for the spotlight at every opportunity. You don't think that New York or LA would give him much more visibility than Seattle? There is a very good chance that whether we keep Wilson or not is not a choice we get to make. If you see this risk as high, then might feel making the trade is the best risk you can take.

Woo woo woo right there!! Where are you getting this report that Wilson has indicated that? The report is no talks which there would not be any with 2 years left anyway.

Where is this report that Wilson doesn't plan to sign here????????????????

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
There were quite a few articles about it.

The rumor was that with Cousins breaking the FA #s wide open the next big FA to completely shift the numbers was going to be Wilson.

They mentioned word from Wilson's camp was that he was confident in himself enough to go the last year of the contract and not worry about potential injury damaging his potential as a FA. I don't know who in Wilson's camp they quoted or how valid a source it was. But I know it is a risk factor and given there were multiple articles on it, I assume there are some legs there - though obviously, time could change that? Now is that his agent angling for leverage on the big contract? Because it feels like a bigger contract would be letting him out to the FA route.

We COULD keep him against his will for a few years, but there are risks associated with that as well.

Seymour

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2kadham5 said:
There were quite a few articles about it.

The rumor was that with Cousins breaking the FA #s wide open the next big FA to completely shift the numbers was going to be Wilson.

They mentioned word from Wilson's camp was that he was confident in himself enough to go the last year of the contract and not worry about potential injury damaging his potential as a FA. I don't know who in Wilson's camp they quoted or how valid a source it was. But I know it is a risk factor and given there were multiple articles on it, I assume there are some legs there - though obviously, time could change that? Now is that his agent angling for leverage on the big contract? Because it feels like a bigger contract would be letting him out to the FA route.

We COULD keep him against his will for a few years, but there are risks associated with that as well.

That would be HUGE news if this was Wilson camp driven. I keep pretty up on team / Russ stuff and have read nothing like that. All I've read is no talks, and the team hasn't started any, not Wilson may not want to.

Anyone that can confirm that there is even a rumor this is Wilson driven could they please show their source??

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Only if the FO knew RW wanted an A-Aron esque contract that would make the team spiral even more downward (because RW can't carry this team). That being said mainly no, because I don't trust the FO's recent ability to draft.

mrt144

Reaction score
ZagHawk":1p8hs8px said:
Only if the FO knew RW wanted an A-Aron esque contract that would make the team spiral even more downward (because RW can't carry this team). That being said mainly no, because I don't trust the FO's recent ability to draft.

Isn't that the hilarity of it all?

RW can't carry the Hawks in its current state and yet the collateral from a trade is the exact reason he seemingly is the only point of light that can carry the team and must carry the team.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
ZagHawk":129i1ofw said:

It is what he will want, if he and his agent haven't already expressed that to our FO.

Why would he want anything less?

We could buy another year by franchising Russell, but any longer than that and it gets pretty gnarly on the cap.

The other question is DO WE TRUST this FO to use those picks to rebuild a SB roster? Not so sure anymore.

Jville

Reaction score
I wouldn't want three extra 1st round picks. :177692: No how no way. Trading down from 3 Prima dona picks is such a chore and there is no guarantee of finding a trade partner.

Besides, picking up humbled Prima dona's on down the road of maturity is a preferred alternative plus we have virtually an unlimited supply of 8th round picks anyway.

So no. I have no interest in extra 1st round picks. :p

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
If the articles are not readily available, then maybe they were one-offs. You have to remember that anyone could pop up a blog. I probably should have remembered where it came from. I have a lot of feeds that give me Seahawk new/updates so it was just 2 of the many that came out right after the Cousins signing. How much 'there is there'? Couldn't tell you.

I do know there are plenty of articles out there that indicate Wilson expects the team to tag him. Field Gulls and CBS both did articles on this.

Now is this because he isn't going to sign a long-term deal? Or is this because he expects the tag and then it was spin to put the tags in a positive light?

What I know is that the articles pointed out that he intended to play out the tags and then become a FA once the team could no longer tag him. And it was anticipated to be a big contract (Rodgers had not gotten his then but they figured it would be bigger than Rodgers because he would be a FA).

I will look and see if I can find it in my browser history when I get some time to burn, but it was some time ago when the articles came out. The fact very few others saw it means it must not have been a big push. Which would be better news if you want to keep him.

I was starting to think that maybe the 'leaks' about Wilson could have been the FO trying separate his brand and the Seahawks brand in the even they needed to make a decision on him. But that might be a bridge too far. I do notice a lot more fingers being pointed at Wilson now that the defense is no longer going to be the focal point of the teams effectiveness.

jdruaint

Reaction score
If any team would give you 3 1st round picks you would absolutely do it at this point.

We have all seen what this team looks like with "Wilson" as the main focus vs him with a Elite D and Elite RB as the focus and him as a game manager.

Russ can not carry this team as it is now and this team has steadily went down hill as they switched from what it was to what it is now "Russell's" team.

How do you think the team can and will get better once we have to pay him 30 plus million when he can not even do it now???

We will end up with a top 5-10 pick this year, add in a another top 10 pick and with 2 years of 2 1st rounders and that is a lot for a NEW couching staff to rebuild on.

xray

Reaction score
Yes but only if Carroll didn't make the picks.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I don’t believe any team in their right mind would offer three first round picks for Russell Wilson. That’s not a knock on Wilson. But if it was offered, yes I would take it.