With issues on defense we need to turn the Offense loose!

ExBassGuide

Reaction score
With the new 6 game suspension and a possible lack of pass rush and a improving backs and safeties.

It is time to turn the offense on! We need to score more points than the other teams and Russ and receivers could do this.
We could dial the offense back as we get people back and other improve. We still need to run the ball but the pass can really rack up points so we can stay in games!

What do you think?

Roger

rcaido

Reaction score
Reed is a big loss but im sure Pete will have a nice replacement until he gets back.

I say same game plan, just let Wilson loose starting 4th quarter & not just 2minutes left. This is of course even if Reed didn't get suspended.

McGruff

Reaction score
I think the best solution to compensating for a bad defense is a ball control offense. Control the clock, keep the defense off the field and fresh.

Which IMO is why we run the ball.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
McGruff":32z4wxrj said:
I think the best solution to compensating for a bad defense is a ball control offense. Control the clock, keep the defense off the field and fresh.

:2thumbs: Winner..

OP
OP
ExBassGuide

ExBassGuide

Reaction score
McGruff":ks7oyd80 said:

That would work great if we scored most of the time we had the ball. But we have not done that too well. The defense has holes, not big holes but the biggest is years. You got to think that teams will be able to move the ball on the defense as it is now.

So controlling the clock and NOT scoring will not help us.
I like the thought but not sure it is the answer.

Russ has had his best off season to date with lots of new weapons.
Passing can also open up the run game and even better with a true deep threat!
The run game will be helped by 3/14 +16 :) With the deep threat our running game should have lots of room to run!

We just lost for about 1/3 of the season a 10 sack D lineman. Do you think we can get a replacement at that level?

The answer could be just make sure you score every time you have the ball and get turnovers.

chris98251

Reaction score
ExBassGuide":35ig5d7w said:
With the new 6 game suspension and a possible lack of pass rush and a improving backs and safeties.

It is time to turn the offense on! We need to score more points than the other teams and Russ and receivers could do this.
We could dial the offense back as we get people back and other improve. We still need to run the ball but the pass can really rack up points so we can stay in games!

What do you think?

Roger

Dream on, Pete does not want a run and shoot offense, he does not want a spread offense, he does not want the Chip Kelly Hurry up offense.

He will find a Vet to fill the spot, he always does.

We have not even officially started camp for the whole team and panic in the streets is commencing.

OP
OP
ExBassGuide

ExBassGuide

Reaction score
McGruff":104eathh said:

So we ran the ball in the past like 2013-15 because our defense was bad? NO

But our defense is not bad but not great yet. So we need to be More efficient with the ball! By scoring almost every time we get the ball by using what ever means we need to WIN. At this point our running game is a bit suspect. By using the deep ball threat this will open on the opponents defense to the running game and short passing game. All we have to do is score more points that the opponent to win the games. But we have seen plenty of non scoring drives because of the running game. I'm not saying we should not run and use the clock up some. I see scoring EVER TIME will win more games. And tossing some deep balls will back up the defense! The key is scoring every time! We do not even know who our starting running back will be! Or how good he really is yet.

I am not say we should not be a running team. But if the run stalls we should go deep once in a while to open up the run more! Why just give up on downs and punt just to have the other team score. That is a 14 point swing. We have a good new tool lets see it work wonders in the run game. The team that hold the ball for the longest time is not the winner it's the team that scores more points.

McGruff

Reaction score
Running the ball and good defense go together in Pete's mind. And it works. It's all symbiotic.

The only thing that will change that is abject failure to execute the plan. (see 2015)

OP
OP
ExBassGuide

ExBassGuide

Reaction score
Guys we have always tossed the long ball! This not a big change!

Mad Dog

Reaction score
We will do what we always do. Play small ball on defense make opponents run the length of the field in a billion plays to score. Then we will run the football to loosen up the defense and by the 4th we will start bringing the hammer of big runs and big passes to win the game.

That's been the formula for almost a decade. No matter the personnel. It just works best when Russ is the QB and the LOB is your defense.

At least we have Russ. This Hawks defense better have some chips because they aren't long on talent. Probably the worst group since 2010.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I highly doubt they blow up the entire offense by changing their philosophy based on the 6 game loss of one DT!

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
What teams score every time they get the ball? If we could do that, I'd imagine we would. It's not like any coach hopes they only score two or three times each game.

Pete's approach is more conservative yes, but it also cuts down on turnovers, especially early in the game when he's trying to figure out how the opposing defense will play against him.

xray

Reaction score
McGruff":sk9or6gl said:
Running the ball and good defense go together in Pete's mind. And it works. It's all symbiotic.

The only thing that will change that is abject failure to execute the plan. (see 2015)
Wilson had the best 8 game stretch in his career last half of 2015...also that was Baldwin's best year ever ...the Hawks had to take the leash off of Wilson...and he blew the doors off...and you think that was bad thing ?

OP
OP
ExBassGuide

ExBassGuide

Reaction score
xray":3bq7o1m8 said:
McGruff":3bq7o1m8 said:

Wilson had the best 8 game stretch in his career last half of 2015...also that was Baldwin's best year ever ...the Hawks had to take the leash off of Wilson...and he blew the doors off...and you think that was bad thing ?

:2thumbs:

McGruff

Reaction score
xray":3etys83q said:
McGruff":3etys83q said:

Did I say it was a bad thing?

sutz

Reaction score
Let me guess, you have Wilson on your Fantasy Football Team.

:34853_doh:

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
The counter-argument to the 8-game record-breaking stretch is the first two games last year here we DID go all-in on passing. Wilson went 19-for-33 and 22-for-36, respectively, threw 3 of his season's 7 picks, took 12 sacks, and fumbled 4 times.

It wasn't pretty.

Tical21

Reaction score
How in the world can anyone have watched the Seahawks from 2012-2018 and still be of the opinion that the answer is to open up the offense? The Seahawks, the team we actually root for and watch all the games of, is the actual poster child for the importance of the running game. We can't keep doing this.

xray

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":1770l0tc said:
The counter-argument to the 8-game record-breaking stretch is the first two games last year here we DID go all-in on passing. Wilson went 19-for-33 and 22-for-36, respectively, threw 3 of his season's 7 picks, took 12 sacks, and fumbled 4 times.

It wasn't pretty.

Then last year must be really ugly. 51 sacks for 355 yards lost ....worst in Wilson'e career . That's what run first and often got him...I'll bet you he wants more offensive options. Many will be disappointed this season when the Hawks won't lead the league in rushing . They will open up the offensive play book more and they will show y'all why they drafted the way they did . :0190l: