Wish Earl was more like Kam.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
hawknation2018":2la8an5z said:
edogg23":2la8an5z said:
Popeyejones":2la8an5z said:
The CBA allows teams to not honor the contracts they sign. Let that sink in.

In exchange for that the CBA allows players to hold out WHILE accruing financial penalty, but only up to 8 weeks into the season at which point it becomes irrational for them to not report in 100% of cases.

When players hold out they are doing so in accordance with the rules that have been negotiated with the owners. They’re not breaking their contracts or violating their contracts — they’re doing something in accordance with the rules of their contracts.

As for who is getting the better deal here, it is obvious: one side doesn’t have to honor contracts at all, and the other side is allowed to take on 8 weeks of financial penalty before being forced to honor their contracts.

If you want the players to be forced to always honor their contracts, make teams always honor their contracts. It’s that simple. Unless that’s what you want you don’t actually have a problem with this, as it’s the teams, not the players, who are getting away with robbery in the current system.
Not true at all. If this was true why are the Seahawks paying Kam this year and half his salary next year. NFL teams have to honor the guaranteed portions of salaries. Players know what they are signing up for. It’s their fault for agreeing to the terms in the first place.

Exactly. It's incorrect to say that the "CBA allows teams to not honor the contracts they sign." Individual players and teams agree to specific terms that must be honored. If the team and player wanted to, they could agree to a contract that was fully guaranteed, as the Vikings did with Kirk Cousins. Saying one side doesn't have to honor contracts, at all, is just utter BS.
And just to pile on the whole thing, ET's contract made him the highest paid safety in the NFL at the time. He got his "respect" in the form of the dollars he wanted. You don't get to hold out to be the top paid every time someone else makes more. You ride out your top-paid salary and when it comes to the end hopefully you have played well enough to get another one.

Also, if ET plays at his normal level, the Seahawks will honour every cent of his contract. He's not in danger of being cut.

These are grown men. Most of them have degrees from major universities. They have agents who can clarify any point in the contract they want clarified. They sign the contracts knowing what they are getting into. If they don't then they *should have* known. Each player is a milti-million-dollar business of which the player is the CEO, so he should know his stuff or put someone else in charge.

As far as "fair" goes, how many of us have contracts with our current employer that guarantee ANY money whatsoever? Who here who is working for someone else can't have his contract (employment) terminated? I live in a country with very liberal employment laws and have worked for my employer for 14 years and even I can be let go without much fanfare. Welcome to the real world.

toffee

Reaction score
KiwiHawk":3e2x3asw said:
hawknation2018":3e2x3asw said:
edogg23":3e2x3asw said:
Popeyejones":3e2x3asw said:
The CBA allows teams to not honor the contracts they sign. Let that sink in.

In exchange for that the CBA allows players to hold out WHILE accruing financial penalty, but only up to 8 weeks into the season at which point it becomes irrational for them to not report in 100% of cases.

When players hold out they are doing so in accordance with the rules that have been negotiated with the owners. They’re not breaking their contracts or violating their contracts — they’re doing something in accordance with the rules of their contracts.

As for who is getting the better deal here, it is obvious: one side doesn’t have to honor contracts at all, and the other side is allowed to take on 8 weeks of financial penalty before being forced to honor their contracts.

If you want the players to be forced to always honor their contracts, make teams always honor their contracts. It’s that simple. Unless that’s what you want you don’t actually have a problem with this, as it’s the teams, not the players, who are getting away with robbery in the current system.
Not true at all. If this was true why are the Seahawks paying Kam this year and half his salary next year. NFL teams have to honor the guaranteed portions of salaries. Players know what they are signing up for. It’s their fault for agreeing to the terms in the first place.

Exactly. It's incorrect to say that the "CBA allows teams to not honor the contracts they sign." Individual players and teams agree to specific terms that must be honored. If the team and player wanted to, they could agree to a contract that was fully guaranteed, as the Vikings did with Kirk Cousins. Saying one side doesn't have to honor contracts, at all, is just utter BS.
And just to pile on the whole thing, ET's contract made him the highest paid safety in the NFL at the time. He got his "respect" in the form of the dollars he wanted. You don't get to hold out to be the top paid every time someone else makes more. You ride out your top-paid salary and when it comes to the end hopefully you have played well enough to get another one.

Also, if ET plays at his normal level, the Seahawks will honour every cent of his contract. He's not in danger of being cut.

These are grown men. Most of them have degrees from major universities. They have agents who can clarify any point in the contract they want clarified. They sign the contracts knowing what they are getting into. If they don't then they *should have* known. Each player is a milti-million-dollar business of which the player is the CEO, so he should know his stuff or put someone else in charge.

As far as "fair" goes, how many of us have contracts with our current employer that guarantee ANY money whatsoever? Who here who is working for someone else can't have his contract (employment) terminated? I live in a country with very liberal employment laws and have worked for my employer for 14 years and even I can be let go without much fanfare. Welcome to the real world.

Therefore I will LOVE to have tea with Earl's agent, heck i will buy him triple shots of whatever he fancies, so long he talks. The way Earl devalues his brand got to drive his agent up the wall.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
SpokaneHawks":3och917o said:
Quit on your team because you have to, not because your spending habits force you to.

Hit the showers, rookie.

Steve2222

Reaction score
I still think it’s funny NFL fans side with the owners and think the players are being greedy trying to get every cent they can. Only professional league with no fully guaranted contracts and it’s far and away the most dangerous sport. The NFL salary cap is a joke compared to that of the NBAs. Like..., NFL players are getting robbed compared to their MLB and NBA counterparts.

I don’t fault any player trying to get as much possible money as they can. NFL careers are short.

toffee

Reaction score
PPF is hating on our HOF Earl, ranking him a WTF #6 FS in the league just when Earl is seeking a long term contract that reflects his best FS in the league status. #6 is truly ridiculous, behind Andrew Sendejo, Glover Quin, Kevin Byard, Devin McCourty and Adrian Amos, no way Jose.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2755 ... on#slide13

AVL

Reaction score
Earl crazy good, but crazy.

I don't know if Kam had any of his fines forgiven in his holdout, but I would like to think Earl keeps the fines to a minimum for his "lifestyle's" sake.

edogg23

Reaction score
Steve2222":2dbbwbmc said:
I still think it’s funny NFL fans side with the owners and think the players are being greedy trying to get every cent they can. Only professional league with no fully guaranted contracts and it’s far and away the most dangerous sport. The NFL salary cap is a joke compared to that of the NBAs. Like..., NFL players are getting robbed compared to their MLB and NBA counterparts.

I don’t fault any player trying to get as much possible money as they can. NFL careers are short.
It’s because we are smart and realize how balanced the league is. A few bad contracts is all it takes to ruin any chances of making the Super Bowl. Rooting for players to break the bank is basically equal to rooting for your team to lose.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
edogg23":l55o0bi4 said:
Steve2222":l55o0bi4 said:

It’s because we are smart and realize how balanced the league is. A few bad contracts is all it takes to ruin any chances of making the Super Bowl. Rooting for players to break the bank is basically equal to rooting for your team to lose.

Worse than that, it is rooting for your fantasy team over your preferred team. Let that sink in a moment.

toffee

Reaction score
edogg23":2c8xssxe said:
Steve2222":2c8xssxe said:

Got to confess that I didn’t think of this angle, so our HOF Earl destroyed his own brand and value just to help he Hawks? That is far out dude!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

olyfan63

Reaction score
There is nothing PC/JS and the Seahawks need to do except let Earl play out his final contract year. If he has gas in the tank, maybe franchise him for another year.

Earl will give maximum effort and ball out this year to be in position after the end of the season. The team holds the cards, not Earl. They can sign and trade, etc. It's silly to give Earl's drama queen posing so much attention. But, I suppose drama queen sells.

There is no decision to make. Earl shows up and plays, or he doesn't. There is no trade on offer that makes any sense. Earl has less value to any other team, and has badly damaged his brand by his foolish antics. IMO the team is not going to give in and set a bad precedent.

adeltaY

Reaction score
toffee":k2wtwq10 said:
PPF is hating on our HOF Earl, ranking him a WTF #6 FS in the league just when Earl is seeking a long term contract that reflects his best FS in the league status. #6 is truly ridiculous, behind Andrew Sendejo, Glover Quin, Kevin Byard, Devin McCourty and Adrian Amos, no way Jose.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2755 ... on#slide13

PFF has trouble grading FS play, especially for a center fielder like Earl because a huge part of his impact is the plays he prevents from happening, not just the plays he makes.