Wish Earl was more like Kam.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
:roll:

Did you not "support" Big Walt when he skipped camp 3 straight seasons? And please enlighten us, how do you KNOW that Earl doesn't want to be here? Did he tell you that? Players holding out sucks, but it's flat out part of football. Suck it up.

OP
OP
S

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":23a65jrm said:
:roll:

Did you not "support" Big Walt when he skipped camp 3 straight seasons? And please enlighten us, how do you KNOW that Earl doesn't want to be here? Did he tell you that? Players holding out sucks, but it's flat out part of football. Suck it up.
He can hold out all he wants. Did you read anything I posted? And did you not see or hear him tell Jason Garrett " come get me"? It was on TV for God sakes, if that isnt announcing you want oit of Seattle then nothing is!

sdog1981

Reaction score
The new Souixhawk has arrived and he feels that players should pledge their undying loyalty to one team. You do know the NFL has had free agency since 1993?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2lu4uyeo said:
The CBA allows teams to not honor the contracts they sign. Let that sink in.

In exchange for that the CBA allows players to hold out WHILE accruing financial penalty, but only up to 8 weeks into the season at which point it becomes irrational for them to not report in 100% of cases.

When players hold out they are doing so in accordance with the rules that have been negotiated with the owners. They’re not breaking their contracts or violating their contracts — they’re doing something in accordance with the rules of their contracts.

As for who is getting the better deal here, it is obvious: one side doesn’t have to honor contracts at all, and the other side is allowed to take on 8 weeks of financial penalty before being forced to honor their contracts.

If you want the players to be forced to always honor their contracts, make teams always honor their contracts. It’s that simple. Unless that’s what you want you don’t actually have a problem with this, as it’s the teams, not the players, who are getting away with robbery in the current system.

I agree. Great post Popeye.

Hotchy

Reaction score
Totally agree with what popeyejones posted.
I have no issue with any player not honoring a contract when teams are allowed to not honor contracts. I believe contracts should all be guaranteed. Both sides come to a signed agreement, so the terms need to be honored. I also think a player, unless agreed to, should be safe from being traded.
But alas, sports is so far from reality
And unfortunately, it's always the players that end up looking like the bad guys. Because fans dont give a shit about the player. They just want to see the best team on the field.
And Kam probably knew his NFL time was going to expire soon, so he was trying his best to make the most he could b4 he couldn't make any more. And I think after Earl's big injury, the same has been on his mind.

Seymour

Reaction score
SpokaneHawks":24a0ke32 said:
Wow, I guess my topic has offended "Earl's Army"! Please take off the Earl shades and allow me to better explain the point I was trying to make. First of all, yes, Kam did hold out, he wanted to be paid better. Did it hurt the team? Absolutley. Was he wrong in doing so? I believe he was. IMO, the reason this is different than the Earl situation is that I don't recall Kam publicly (in front of a camera) running up to one of our enemies coaches and begging him to "come get me"! Earl has pretty much told the organization and every single one of us fans that he no longer wants to be a Seahawk!!! To me, it seems weird to take sides with a "trader", but, go ahead, keep thinking the guy is our only hope and keep wishing him to stay and stand up for him all you want. That's your choice, but he clearly isnt doing the same for you. In Earl's mind, it's clear to me, he feels now that his boys are gone that the window has closed and he only wants to stay if he's paid. That's me first, not team first. I can no longer cheer for him because I support the team, not the players.

Well I'm going to go a bit easier on you because part of your rebuttal is valid IMO. I'll give you a B for effort but a C- for persuasiveness because Kam and great contract example is an uphill sale to most 12's.

edogg23

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1rv5yhmw said:

In exchange for that the CBA allows players to hold out WHILE accruing financial penalty, but only up to 8 weeks into the season at which point it becomes irrational for them to not report in 100% of cases.

When players hold out they are doing so in accordance with the rules that have been negotiated with the owners. They’re not breaking their contracts or violating their contracts — they’re doing something in accordance with the rules of their contracts.

As for who is getting the better deal here, it is obvious: one side doesn’t have to honor contracts at all, and the other side is allowed to take on 8 weeks of financial penalty before being forced to honor their contracts.

If you want the players to be forced to always honor their contracts, make teams always honor their contracts. It’s that simple. Unless that’s what you want you don’t actually have a problem with this, as it’s the teams, not the players, who are getting away with robbery in the current system.
Not true at all. If this was true why are the Seahawks paying Kam this year and half his salary next year. NFL teams have to honor the guaranteed portions of salaries. Players know what they are signing up for. It’s their fault for agreeing to the terms in the first place.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
I dont remember Kam going up to a coach on live TV and asking for them to come get him. Holding out is nothing new but Kam is and was all class....Earl not so much in my books anymore. Make the trade!

hawknation2018

Reaction score
edogg23":2kzmn0w6 said:
Popeyejones":2kzmn0w6 said:

Not true at all. If this was true why are the Seahawks paying Kam this year and half his salary next year. NFL teams have to honor the guaranteed portions of salaries. Players know what they are signing up for. It’s their fault for agreeing to the terms in the first place.

Exactly. It's incorrect to say that the "CBA allows teams to not honor the contracts they sign." Individual players and teams agree to specific terms that must be honored. If the team and player wanted to, they could agree to a contract that was fully guaranteed, as the Vikings did with Kirk Cousins. Saying one side doesn't have to honor contracts, at all, is just utter BS.

kobebryant

Reaction score
SpokaneHawks":330jp7q0 said:
Wow, I guess my topic has offended "Earl's Army"! Please take off the Earl shades and allow me to better explain the point I was trying to make. First of all, yes, Kam did hold out, he wanted to be paid better. Did it hurt the team? Absolutley. Was he wrong in doing so? I believe he was. IMO, the reason this is different than the Earl situation is that I don't recall Kam publicly (in front of a camera) running up to one of our enemies coaches and begging him to "come get me"! Earl has pretty much told the organization and every single one of us fans that he no longer wants to be a Seahawk!!! To me, it seems weird to take sides with a "trader", but, go ahead, keep thinking the guy is our only hope and keep wishing him to stay and stand up for him all you want. That's your choice, but he clearly isnt doing the same for you. In Earl's mind, it's clear to me, he feels now that his boys are gone that the window has closed and he only wants to stay if he's paid. That's me first, not team first. I can no longer cheer for him because I support the team, not the players.

That isn't how quotation marks work.

I do always appreciate a good "trader" take though.

kf3339

Reaction score
ET has a right to hold out.

The Hawks have a right to trade, cut him or do nothing if they choose.

Fans have a right to bitch and moan all they want on either side of the issue.

What else is new?

toffee

Reaction score
Off topic a bit here.

Based on Kam and Earl's instagram postings, they seems to be very different in how they would like to be seen:

Kam:
French food eating, people watching in Paris
[instagram]BkPZkFyju3c[/instagram]
High fashion, concert hall:
[instagram]BkxmpzsDU4s[/instagram]
Yoga-ing
[instagram]BkB-NKFjhxG[/instagram]
Multiple pics of him dressing up:
[instagram]BjPd7PVjabG[/instagram]

Earl has very different preferences:
Different fashion:
[instagram]Bkq8jlWjMe1[/instagram]
Street tough wannabe?
[instagram]BkoeQwjl5NV[/instagram]

Again, this is off topic, not passing any judgement one over the other as I don't know them in real life. Just thought that these two were protraiting different branding.

Seymour

Reaction score
I've seen Earl post video of himself being absolutely pie eyed wasted singing some stupid nonsense song about who knows what. Yes, I'd say they are WAY different alright, and Earl comes off as a pretty toxic character to me. This is what they choose to do on their own time which is fine, but it's a character indication for certain.

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":263s563n said:
The more important question is: who is going to make up the "Earl's Army" t-shirts?

I nominate Sergeant Slaughter!!

GhtIjM0V 400x400

toffee

Reaction score
Seymour":2cf86y8u said:
I've seen Earl post video of himself being absolutely pie eyed wasted singing some stupid nonsense song about who knows what. Yes, I'd say they are WAY different alright, and Earl comes off as a pretty toxic character to me. This is what they choose to do on their own time which is fine, but it's a character indication for certain.

Let's just say for this opera going old fart, I might have a more fun time hanging out with Kam than Earl, not that they want to hang out with me of course. On field, if Kam was the one that calls the play/changes/adjustments and instill the fear into opposing WR/TE/RB, his impact could be as critical if not more than Earl.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Seymour":m69epcwi said:

Utter nonsense

toffee

Reaction score
toffee":31oj12af said:
Off topic a bit here.

Based on Kam and Earl's instagram postings, they seems to be very different in how they would like to be seen:

Kam:
French food eating, people watching in Paris
[instagram]BkPZkFyju3c[/instagram]
High fashion, concert hall:
[instagram]BkxmpzsDU4s[/instagram]
Yoga-ing
[instagram]BkB-NKFjhxG[/instagram]
Multiple pics of him dressing up:
[instagram]BjPd7PVjabG[/instagram]

Earl has very different preferences:
Different fashion:
[instagram]Bkq8jlWjMe1[/instagram]
Street tough wannabe?
[instagram]BkoeQwjl5NV[/instagram]

Again, this is off topic, not passing any judgement one over the other as I don't know them in real life. Just thought that these two were protraiting different branding.

Just for fun, this is what Russ wants to project:

Royal Ascot, the snubbest of all snubs, and yes there's a dress code for men.
[instagram]BkTlsOXBwFz[/instagram]
Dim Sum in Shanghai:
[instagram]BkxTNqVgXS5[/instagram]
Hanging out with Pete:
[instagram]BkIK9vtBIiz[/instagram]
Kids:
[instagram]BksTCD5AHGj[/instagram]
White tie with Seattle Synphony
[instagram]BiqJdhjB3Ai[/instagram]

haha I can see how some dawgs in the locker room had problem with Russ

IndyHawk

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":l8x99rdy said:
The more important question is: who is going to make up the "Earl's Army" t-shirts?
I believe the OP has the rights to the shirt and probaly should have them made up.
Half the board would probaly buy them.
It does sound like it's from "Arnie's Army"(Arnold Palmer) so dunno about possible conflict
with that.