Will Russell ditch the leg brace?

Seymour

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":mq7bcfg6 said:
Mojambo":mq7bcfg6 said:
He definitely looks less explosive running the read option. I have no idea if that's due to the brace, the injury or the line being unable to execute.

The brace isn't all that heavy, but it's the mobility it restricts..........hurts Russell's mobility and ability to turn on a dime like he's so great at.

Having said this, I do think he's still hurt more than they're letting on.

Unquestionably IMO. It showed up even more on a grass field. Looked like he was running in sand at times.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2ux0y47q said:
Sgt. Largent":2ux0y47q said:
If he can, he needs to.

But I have a nagging suspicion Russell's knee has a tear or something more serious than they're letting on, and we'll find that out after the season's over.

#1 injury was week 1, and #2 injury was week 3? Even playing Russell should have almost completely healed and not still look barely 60-70% of his usual explosive 4.5 speed.
I think it's as he said ..The brace was on longer for safety.I hope thats why he looked slower and getting rid of it brings us the explosive RW that would be huge ..

Russell didn't say he's ditching the brace, he said he MAY ditch the brace. So who knows what that really means, or what the odds are...........other than trying to make the Lions think he's close to 100%, which we know he's not.

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3e87k52j said:
That one he barely missed Kearse on was a sure TD, but yeah, he looked pretty good on that play.

That would be an oxymoron considering the receiver.

mrt144

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2lz5y0fk said:
Speaking of his injuries...

I think his pectoral injury earlier this season was worse than we thought, and it really affected his accuracy. Something happened, it had to be that.

I bet we find out after the season that was the case. Like a few seasons ago with his shoulder injury they kept on the down low.

It seems like its a case of a lack of follow through on the motion that's causing some of those balls to sail high.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
RW passed for 350 yds, 3 TDs, 0 INTs against a decent Cards D. He is in a good groove.

The key to bigger offense will be if he can freeze any one defender to create a numbers mismatch with his threat on RO keepers to spring Rawls or AC. I think he can and will, brace or not.

Erin has been hot with his Jordy connection but there is NO OTHER QB in the NFC playoffs that you'd take over Russell and his targets in a game up for the taking in the 4th quarter. He is mentally, faithfully and physically hard as a rock.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":30rd9ch2 said:
Jerhawk":30rd9ch2 said:
But according to people on here, he has put on weight

He has put on weight.
[urltargetblank]http://sports.mynorthwest.com/106129/brock-huard-russell-wilsons-apparent-weight-gain-is-a-good-thing/[/urltargetblank]

Yeah, and it's fine that he's bulked up. People on here acting like he's just eating donuts. The leg brace has been slowing him down more than adding some muscle

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Good point Seymour, I thought that exact same thing as I was typing it. 50/50 chance he even catches it :mrgreen:

RussB

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":2hsjl3nn said:
Honest Q: What playoff QB besides Dak looks faster than RW?
To be honest even stafford looks faster than him. Wilson is like a snail now whenever he tries to outrun defenders, he used to be like a gazelle.

253hawk

Reaction score
IndyHawk":78tkm3a8 said:
Sgt. Largent":78tkm3a8 said:
If he can, he needs to.

But I have a nagging suspicion Russell's knee has a tear or something more serious than they're letting on, and we'll find that out after the season's over.

#1 injury was week 1, and #2 injury was week 3? Even playing Russell should have almost completely healed and not still look barely 60-70% of his usual explosive 4.5 speed.
I think it's as he said ..The brace was on longer for safety.I hope thats why he looked slower and getting rid of it brings us the explosive RW that would be huge ..

Plus he's been keeping the ball on read-option plays the past few games. I don't think he'd be doing or even lining up in that formation that if his knee didn't feel fine. The brace may be more of a psychological thing than a physical one at this point; a lot of QBs that come back from knee injuries are really yippy in the pocket, fearing that they're going to get rolled up on or hit low when they aren't looking.

Optimus25

Reaction score
Jerhawk":15fgbdez said:
seahawkfreak":15fgbdez said:
Jerhawk":15fgbdez said:

He has put on weight.
[urltargetblank]http://sports.mynorthwest.com/106129/brock-huard-russell-wilsons-apparent-weight-gain-is-a-good-thing/[/urltargetblank]

Yeah, and it's fine that he's bulked up. People on here acting like he's just eating donuts. The leg brace has been slowing him down more than adding some muscle

I don't get this at all. It was clearly a mistake and if you need evidence look anywhere. Go ahead. Give me one area where him intentionally bulking up has paid off. I'll get the party started...

He's obviously become far more injury prone.

His accuracy seems off.

He looked far slower this year pre brace if you wanna use the brace excuse.

It was a miscalculation in an attempt to turn him into more of a pocket machine, and it back fired miserably. Spades a spade.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
It's great if he does get rid of the brace and is truly healing from his many injuries this year but I don't think we'll ever see that 4.5, ultra-elusiveness quickness again.

He's taken a lot of vicious hits and count me as one who also feels he bulked up too much the last 2 years and isn't as loose and limber as previously. More mass can indeed take away some speed. Here's hoping he's a little quicker on Sat though.

chris98251

Reaction score
All you need to do is look at Collins who bulked up and looked like a slug, he lost the weight and regained his quick and speed, many of these guys are at frame max weight anyway, sometimes the effort to be tougher and more resilient back fires and can cause injuries as well.

Beren

Reaction score
I wouldn't expect him to alert opponents to any injuries he's still carrying, but you can tell from his scrambling he still isn't 100%. I think he was actually closer to 100% a month ago, and he's suffered a setback.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Optimus25":1l2skfd2 said:
Jerhawk":1l2skfd2 said:
seahawkfreak":1l2skfd2 said:
Jerhawk":1l2skfd2 said:

He has put on weight.

I don't get this at all. It was clearly a mistake and if you need evidence look anywhere. Go ahead. Give me one area where him intentionally bulking up has paid off. I'll get the party started...

He's obviously become far more injury prone.

His accuracy seems off.

He looked far slower this year pre brace if you wanna use the brace excuse.

It was a miscalculation in an attempt to turn him into more of a pocket machine, and it back fired miserably. Spades a spade.

Solid points. It definitely hasn't worked out this season, but his ankle and leg injuries were kind of fluke plays imo. His increased muscle didn't really have anything to do with the awkward sacks he was taking. Suh stepped on his ankle on the first one, the 49er dragged him down in an awkward position.

Who knows, maybe adding muscle allowed him to get chased down on those two injuries. As far as the poor accuracy, his speculated pectoral injury could've played a factor into that.

His mindset of being able to absorb more hits, which he knew were coming behind this o line, wasn't a bad idea on paper. But I agree it definitely hasn't worked out this season unfortunately

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Mojambo":3hdfyh9e said:
He definitely looks less explosive running the read option. I have no idea if that's due to the brace, the injury or the line being unable to execute.

All of the above.

seahawks08

Reaction score
The defense in NFL has caught up with read option. I dont think it is his limit to speed. The NFL now know how to play the read option better than 3 years ago, unless you evolve to the next level, read option doesn't work as how it worked before is what I think.