Wide Receivers

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
Draft Averages, per: http://mockdraftable.com/position/11/ (Lots of drafted player info on this site.)
----CB:----
Height=5'-11.2", Weight=192.45, Arm length=31.51", hands=9.17",
10-Yd=1.53, 20-Yd=2.57, 40-Yd=4.49, etc, etc,
NOTE: CB draft averages a few years back was closer to 5'-10", ( and, WR's have got bigger too)
----WR:----
Height=6'-0.88", Weight=200.96, Arm length 32.04", hands=9.34"
10-Yd=1.55, 20-YD=2.59, 40-Yd=4.51, etc, etc.

IMO-The Seahawks should draft (at least) 2 WR's in the upcoming draft with PRich out (probably) and Lockette replaced (hopefully). One should be a WR and punt returner (Tyler Lockett, Rd-3?) and the other at least above average (6-1) in height. WR can be played well by slightly shorter guys as long as they have other qualities (speed, quickness, hands, jumping ability, separation ability, etc.) to make up for the lack of average height. Maybe the problem herein lies with the definition of "tall WR"? Obviously, CB's are getting taller to keep up with the really tall WR's we've
seen drafted in the last few years.
:thfight7:

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
The problem with our WRs is that they are all playing in a spot above their talent level.

Baldwin is not a #1. He just isn't. He was really good in the slot and would be fine as our #2 WR, but not a #1.

Kearse to me just isnt good enough to be #2, at least not on a team that expects to win the Super Bowl. He should be a situational WR on a top notch team.

The fact that a guy like Bryan Walters actually saw the field as a WR in multiple games just shows you how bad the situation is.

The Hawks don't need to get a stud WR necessarily, but they need to find a legit #1 so everyone can get pushed down the depth chart. It's like me buying a new TV recently; the family room got the new tv, the bedroom upgraded by getting the old family room tv, and the guest room upgraded by getting the old bedroom TV.

The Hawks can essentially upgrade every WR spot just by getting a #1 WR.

Schadie001

Reaction score
One play away from winning a 2nd SB without the Unicorn #1 WR. Funny how so many in this forum and the media seen to forget this. I think Lockette was the wrong guy for that play, we run Baldwin there and we win. We don't need a #1 WR because just like Harvin they will do nothing but complain in this offense. We just don't pass enough and we don't need to. There are bigger fish to fry than at WR.

Tical21

Reaction score
I am so tired of being told that we miss Sidney Rice. In three years, the guy caught less than 100 balls. Less than 100 balls. His very best year, he caught 50. A whopping 3 passes per game. He never reached 110 yards in a game. Not once. Pussified himself out of how many games and practices before giving up. He did absolutely nothing for us but rob us of huge money and he's treated like the missing link around here. He should go hangout with Adrian Beltre and Richie Sexson.

peppersjap

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":31a16sx4 said:
Cyrus12":31a16sx4 said:
can't run every play...gotta have some dependability down field and some sure hands...we don't have that.

Kearse and Baldwin are dependable downfield. You just don't see that often because the Hawks run the ball more.

I just don't think the receivers position is a big need that other people think.
Did you watch Kearse and Baldwin in the Super Bowl? Yes Kearse made a circus catch that was as much luck as anything but outside of that you basically got nothing from either one. Wilson had more time in the pocket in that game than I've seen all year but they got no separation and when Baldwin finally makes a catch he shows himself as a complete jack ass. Lockette had his best game of the year but made a horrible play on the ball that cost us the game and I think all the people who are on the Mathews bandwagon need to ask themselves why he had no career catches before that game. He was on our practice squad all year. I've heard a lot of sports reporters who didn't even know who he was before that game.
I'm not as pessimistic as I sound, like I said Lockette had his best game of the year and Mathews did show some reason for hope but we are very guilty of sticking up for our pedestrian WR's when the media is actually speaking the truth.
Our offense is built around Marshawn but you cannot give him the ball every play, we need a true threat down the field. I think Richardson was on his way to being that but bad things happened to us late in the year.

Hawks46

Reaction score
firebee said it best. Can't really say it any better than that.

We need at least an average passing offense to keep balance. The teams that can stack the box, then man us up on the outside are the ones that end up beating us. We don't need a 6'5" guy. We need just ONE Wr that can beat man coverage. Then defenses have to roll a safety that way and we can get a TE or another WR open at that point.

The problem is that we don't have guys that consistently win one on one matchups with even league average CBs. Wilson can't look one way and expect anyone to be open on a consistent basis. That has to be hard for a QB

netskier

Reaction score
Matthews caught his first four NFL catches for 109 yards by getting VERTICAL separation over the top of some normally heighted defensive backs. Horizontal separation is only necessary if you can not get vertical separation. Browner bumped him at the LOS, and then defended him, thus demonstrating can not yet handle Browner. Why should we assume that Matthews can not be taught how to handle Browner? Worst case, Matthews can already OCCUPY Browner, thereby forcing the Boston third db to defend our next receiver.

Very few other teams have dbs who can defend the six five Matthews. I doubt that Revis could either. I doubt that Sherman can reliably, if at all. He could mm not in camp, as only Mathew's nervous drops stopped him then.

Let Revis try do defend Richardson going deep, and fail to keep up.

Occupy Browner with Matthews.

Let Butler try to defend Norwood.

Give Norwood practice reps ahead of Kearse and Ball-shitter.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
netskier":nre7vo0q said:

Norward has to figure out special teams first. I hope he doesn't wash out, but he's doing nothing to inspire hope right now.

OP
OP
D

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":3innq55b said:
netskier":3innq55b said:

Norward has to figure out special teams first. I hope he doesn't wash out, but he's doing nothing to inspire hope right now.

He's a rookie. How can you expect him to do great things his rookie year? I mean come on man, give him time.

tdlabrie

Reaction score
I think what we need are plays that utilize quick, short passes. Face it, every team that has beaten us or piled up the yards, including the Pats in the SB, has done it with short, quick passes. Does that mean we need better receivers? Probably. And yes, we need a better OL but not for the long pass. But more than that, we need better plays. I agree with firebee that we should never have an empty backfield, what's the point in letting the defense know what we're going to do?

So do we not run these quick slants because Miller was on injured reserve? Or is that a conscientious decision by Bevell?

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
firebee":kb3hfyb6 said:
We could use a homerun threat at receiver that can adjust to the ball well downfield and has semi-reliable hands, but the biggest problem with our passing game is the passing plays we run. People need to face facts... If we didn't have a QB that could scramble and improvise, we'd have - bar none - the worst passing game in the league. We have an amazing QB that's able to bail out bad plays with improv. Eventually... I'd like to see what Wilson could do when we have someone calling passing plays that are actually designed to get receivers open and exploit coverages. I tried to let a few days go and look at Bevell's plays from an overall perspective without looking at the last play of the Super Bowl, but the more I looked at the plays we've ran this year, the more I think we need to move on from Bevell. He's gotten away from the offensive system this team was built for. He might be really good at getting a QB to do the right things and make the right decisions, but he doesn't do anything to help the passing game with his play design or his playcalling. Look at our games this year. Almost half of the passing plays that turned out well, turned out well because Wilson scrambled, extended the play and a receiver went sandlot... deviating from the play that was called.

Couldnt have put this part better myself....Couldnt stand people saying, but look at this offense it does enough, Bevel isnt that bad...well ya....except Lynch and Wilson bail Bevel out constantly. If we had almost any other QB back under center our passing offense probably is one of the worst in the league. It seems like a passing offense is boom or bust...its either a longer downfield play or its nothing at all. I would love to see a passing game like the pats where we just dink and dunk and let our D rest. I think that style of offense fits what we are trying to do better than hoping and praying we come up with explosive plays on offense to get points

run and shoot

Reaction score
For all the people clamoring for a big time receiver, name one since free agency that won a Super Bowl. Fitzgerald, Green, Johnson so on and so forth they all are still chasing that elusive ring our pedestrians have. While I would like to see some separation I don't see where there is a case to be made to acquire a superstar.

OP
OP
D

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
Why is it said that Wilson and Lynch always bail out Bevell? If that's true, wouldn't that make Bevell a good coordinator because he is calling the right plays?

Hyak

Reaction score
Honestly, if they could get a WR that is similar to Tate, they likely would be fine. Bottom line is that they need a guy with good hands and the ability to catch contestable balls consistently. The Hawks basically played this year with a #2 or #3 WR as their #1 (Baldwin) Kearse is really a 3rd or 4th WR, etc.

In the matchup vs NE, Revis basically took DB out of the game aside from the one TD catch where the ref was used for a pick. Basically he was a glorified decoy in the SB. If you have a legit lead receiver, Baldwin could have been the guy in the slot instead of Lockette.

It's such a shame Richardson was hurt as he really did come on in the 2nd half of the season. Norwood also flashed and could be poised to jump up in year 2. Matthews to me could go either way. Maybe he builds on the SB and becomes a factor but I could also see him disappearing. Remember Lockette had a huge game vs Arizona in 2011 and never has really built on that.

Hyak

Reaction score
Draft wise, one of the receivers that really intrigues me is Devin Smith of Ohio State. He seems like a Seahawk kind of player.

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
JTB":2zj6njp6 said:
Draft wise, one of the receivers that really intrigues me is Devin Smith of Ohio State. He seems like a Seahawk kind of player.

Devin Smith is a definite field stretcher.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
jake206":3q95gbmg said:
I have to disagree. More and more teams are going to employ physical CB with size against the Hawks. Need to combat that with size not speed or guile. WR group is one of the weakest links on our team. Just getting a #1 type receiver w/ size would relieve pressure on the others. Don't believe me ask...Golden Tate.

you mean, more and more teams would like to employ physical CBs.

Though I don't think against the Hawks a big CB is necessary.
We don't really have a huge receiver that necessitates it..

That said, against other large receivers, yes, but the thing is, you just can't decided to use big DB's they are few and hard to find.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
We've been successful with what we have, but there's no way we get any worse by adding a guy with a 12' catch radius. If we can do it without breaking the bank, why on Earth wouldn't we?

I see a big WR as the piece that turns some of those last-minute nail-biting wins into more comfortable leads going into the 4th quarter.

sc85sis

Reaction score
We need to improve the short to medium passing game. Seems we go for the deep ball a lot, and that's a feast or famine proposition. We need guys who can get separation more consistently. We need guys who don't drop the ball, which has been a problem lately.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
sc85sis":3pn2t040 said:
We need to improve the short to medium passing game. Seems we go for the deep ball a lot, and that's a feast or famine proposition. We need guys who can get separation more consistently. We need guys who don't drop the ball, which has been a problem lately.

I don't think we will ever be able to do that with Wilson.

The zip he has to put on the balls, makes passes low and too easily for Linemen to knock down. I think this is the limitation for shorter qb's.

not saying we can't always do that, but I think not is more the norm.