Why is O Line such a problem

seahawks08

Reaction score
I mean, I know we all end up in one biggest reason, our O Line is seriously a problem, but I would like to know why this and why now. I mean Russel Okung was hurt before too, I remember people said his feet is made of glass of something and we also said cut Breno last year when he was getting all those bad penalties. So what changed? We had backups play earlier too, the next man up mantra?

I would like a consolidated thread just to discuss OLine which seems the most consistent answer to our issues

Is it

1. We invested so much in the D Line with pass rushers, we almost forgot about the O Line?
2. Tom Cable as a coach. He is responsible for picking the right people, coaching them up and installing the schemes. Is he not coaching or does he not have the right people?
3. Our draft ignored O Line or were we too high up that we were only taking the best we can keep rather than position based drafting?
4. TE and RB blocking, are they not able to help
5. Is our OLine too slow that we can't match up to quickness and speed?
6. Did Pete think with a scrambling QB, Oline does not have to be that good?
7. Offensive play calling?
8. RW regressing sophmore slump kind of thing?
9. Higher expectations from fans since we are winning?
10. OLine needs 12man support to get fired up

BamKam

Reaction score
I have no idea why people wanted to cut Breno, he is actually a pretty decent Offensive Tackle. Sure he had some stupid penalties but most of those came from trying to protect his QB or someone else on the team, the team needs an enforcer on offense like that.

The simple answer is having both tackles injured (any NFL team would be hurting under these circumstances, maybe not this bad but it would be crippling) and Bevell not giving RW enough help on plays. I don't care if it limits our passing attack, we are rush first team anyways. RW will find ways to make a plays if you give him time.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
We lost our two starting tackles. That's all there is to it. How would our DB situation look if Kam/Earl or BB/Sherm got hurt at the same time? How would our run D look if Mebane/Bryant were out? Very few position groups can sustain the loss of two significant starters.

The last time Okung missed multiple games, our O-line was a wreck. Breno was always over-criticized for his early penalty issues -- he's a solid option at RT.

Cartire

Reaction score
This question would be just as dumb if it was asked two years ago when CW played.

"Why is our QB play so bad?"

The answers are obvious and really don't need anymore explanation then the 100's of other threads have already discussed.

We're using a rookie and out of position backups at our tackles. We're not giving extra protection. And we have faced some good pass rushes. That's it. Time is really our only fix at this point.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
We are pretty much stuck with what we have right now. I think the first thing to fix is the bonehead penalties

Coming to mind is the one on Sweezy when lynch broke a great big run. I can understand it if he is trying to protect Wilson from taking a big hit but in a run? Dumb

The Dirty Truth

Reaction score
Happypuppy":2fk04xd0 said:
We are pretty much stuck with what we have right now. I think the first thing to fix is the bonehead penalties

Coming to mind is the one on Sweezy when lynch broke a great big run. I can understand it if he is trying to protect Wilson from taking a big hit but in a run? Dumb

It was a holding penalty for crying out loud. You could call holding on every play. That play and penalty had zero effect on the game. We have 2 starting tackles out. Bottom line. And Bevell doesn't seem to understand that and does nothing to help the tackles out.

tom sawyer

Reaction score
It's...

11. the line is not eating their ration of skittles®

Largent80

Reaction score
The Dirty Truth":1f392l2s said:
We have 2 starting tackles out. Bottom line. And Bevell doesn't seem to understand that and does nothing to help the tackles out.

I am struggling to find a reason why the OC is NOT adjusting anything. He is trying to be cute. In the process he pissed off one of the best yard getting RB's in football.

Get it together Bevell, or get outta here.

USChawk

Reaction score
I am struggling to find a reason why the OC is NOT adjusting anything. He is trying to be cute. In the process he pissed off one of the best yard getting RB's in football.

This.

The Rams big weakness is stopping the run. Marshawn should of had 30 carries in that game.

imnKOgnito

Reaction score
I understand both starting tackles are out, but how do they not have one competent back up tackle. McQuistan's a journeyman guard trying to play the hardest position on the offensive line. Bailey's a tackle and at least looked semi-competent in pre-season. Could he really be any worse than McQ?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
imnKOgnito":gikjiygw said:
I understand both starting tackles are out, but how do they not have one competent back up tackle. McQuistan's a journeyman guard trying to play the hardest position on the offensive line. Bailey's a tackle and at least looked semi-competent in pre-season. Could he really be any worse than McQ?

I think Bailey is probably better from a talent standpoint, but there is an issue of communication and understanding adjustments. Having two rookies as your bookends is a big gamble. This was especially true when Unger and Miller were out.

As far as having competent back-ups, there aren't a lot of them in the league. There is a huge talent disparity between starting Pro-bowl tackle and depth tackle on any team. More so than probably any other position (besides QB). Omiyale held his own in the Dallas game, but we can't really say whether or not he would have done well over an 8-10 game stretch. He also didn't have to compensate for poor pass-blocking from a rookie RT and Sweezy.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Cartire":36au9run said:
Time is really our only fix at this point.

It certainly doesn't have to be. *Cough, have our TEs chip block and let's go to a quick & short passing game like every other team in the NFL does when their O-line is getting raped on every down throughout an entire game, cough hack*

(That was a long cough.)

OP
OP
S

seahawks08

Reaction score
Cartire":3v6aexro said:
This question would be just as dumb if it was asked two years ago when CW played.

"Why is our QB play so bad?"

The answers are obvious and really don't need anymore explanation then the 100's of other threads have already discussed.

We're using a rookie and out of position backups at our tackles. We're not giving extra protection. And we have faced some good pass rushes. That's it. Time is really our only fix at this point.

I am not sure its time, it is more of adapting to our teams strengths and weakness. There is no guarantee, there could be someone else injured in the line when Russel Okung and Breno are back. We need to adapt accordingly.

Latest posts