Why do more and more young QBs do so well so early?

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
We all remember when conventional wisdom was that a young QB needed to sit behind a veteran and hold a clipboard for two or three years before they were ready to play in the NFL. Now, not only does that not make financial sense because you've got your QB at such a low price for their first three to five years, it also doesn't make sense in practice. It seems as though we have more guys than ever just coming into the league and tearing it up at that position. Blaine Gabbert is an outlier at this point.

Now, is this partially because there is more pro-style offense being played in high school and college, giving the QBs an idea of how to run an actual NFL offense years before they get there, or is it more because college offense is being injected into the pro game at a high rate over the past handful of years, helping young QBs make the transition more easily? Or is it a mix of these two things, or is it something else?

What do you guys think?

pehawk

Reaction score
Ha...great mind thing (remember you called me seahawks.net Robert Swift). I just posted something similar in Eagles thread.

I just think its HS's now running pro-style offenses. Any 10yo with a broadband connection can verse themselves in pro-football passing schemes. It's not a secret held by game tape and limited access anymore.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I have to think that the rules changes and the corresponding tweaks to offensive schemes have also helped. Rookies no longer have to learn how to throw a receiver open. The spread option is also a major factor in that it allows the QB and his WR to zone in an area of the field rather than a route tree. (That's obviously a simplification, but I think it works into the solution somehow.)

rdskns4eva

Reaction score
Because College is a passing league. 20 years ago, teams were running Wishbone at College and QB's didnt get to throw nearly as much as they do now (with a few exceptions).

Now, dudes at Miami of Ohio are throwing the ball 75 times a game.

Also, QB in high school pass a alot as well

1. QB can actually pass the ball in games instead of handing the ball out 35 times a game
2. Spread Option - lots of quick passes
3. Kids in high school understand basic conepts better, like cover 2,3 etc so when they get to college, they know what they are doing
4. Playing agaisnt NFL level defensive schemes in College
5. Talent

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I heard Carroll mention recently that QBs are throwing more at every level of the game now, even high school and youth football. These kids are probably coming in with at least twice the throwing reps QBs were coming in with 20 years ago. The technology used for learning the game is also a lot better now than it's ever been. I doubt it's really any one thing. I also think it might be possible that last year was just a really special draft class. An outlier. I definitely think QBs are coming in bettered prepared, but we're not going to see Wilsons, RG3s and Lucks show up every year.

CPHawk

Reaction score
It has to help that QBs are no longer worried about actually taking a hit. I mean if someone gives the Qb a mean mug he gets hit for a 15 yarder.

pehawk

Reaction score
CPHawk":2gysajbe said:
It has to help that QBs are no longer worried about actually taking a hit. I mean if someone gives the Qb a mean mug he gets hit for a 15 yarder.

That's pretty good, my feathered friend.

CPHawk

Reaction score
F Geno just got a bear hug, and was rewarded with an extra 15 yds. Guys like LT and Lott would be losing more money than they make per game in today's game.

Latest posts