Why 49er fans hate Pete Carroll

Marvin49

Reaction score
FrankTheTank21":332sakkf said:
LOL if this board is a microcosm of the city, Seattle must be the most pious place west of Mecca.

I've been a diehard sports fan for over 20 years, and I can only think of a handful of coaches I've hated beyond superficial sports reasons (e.g. Dave Bliss, the former Baylor basketball coach he tried to sully the reputation of a deceased player by painting him as a drug dealer so as to avoid sanctions).

I keep seeing Jim Mora's name brought up. Would people on here have been calling for his firing if he was winning 12 games a year? What if Pete Carroll was stuck on 7 or 8-win seasons? At the end of the day it's about wins and losses.

I couldn't care less about Harbaugh's sideline antics. He wins. By the way his sideline behavior isn't unusual. Coaches are hotheads. There are countless examples of this at every level of football for time immemorial. So long as Harbaugh doesn't pull a Woody Hayes, I'm good. Heck, Mike Nolan and Mike Singletary were good guys. They couldn't win.

I would have trouble rooting for someone like Ben Roethlisberger, Jerramy Stevens, Leonard Little, etc... But a surly coach who yells a lot? Couldn't care less.

BTW I hate Pete Carroll for superficial reasons. The "rah-rah" attitude comes off cheesy to me. Full disclosure: I'm a Bruin. :D

Ha!

Popeyejones

Reaction score
FrankTheTank21":32c0b59x said:
I couldn't care less about Harbaugh's sideline antics. He wins. By the way his sideline behavior isn't unusual. Coaches are hotheads. There are countless examples of this at every level of football for time immemorial. So long as Harbaugh doesn't pull a Woody Hayes, I'm good. Heck, Mike Nolan and Mike Singletary were good guys. They couldn't win.

Yeah, TBH, in terms of 49ers coaches embarassing 49ers fans, Singletary pantsing himself and mooning the team during a half time speech is way, way worse than all of the ridiculous things Harbaugh has said and done combined.

Harbaugh's biggest sin IMO is talking up his players too much and defending his players too much in the media, not trying to make his players peer into the inside of his @sshole as a motivational technique.

FrankTheTank21

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1tdgssrg said:
FrankTheTank21":1tdgssrg said:

Yeah, TBH, in terms of 49ers coaches embarassing 49ers fans, Singletary pantsing himself and mooning the team during a half time speech is way, way worse than all of the ridiculous things Harbaugh has said and done combined.

Harbaugh's biggest sin IMO is talking up his players too much and defending his players too much in the media, not trying to make his players peer into the inside of his @sshole as a motivational technique.

LOL yeah dropping trou was embarrassing.

You have to build up currency before you can do ridiculous things like that.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Marvin49":21hxwogw said:
Popeyejones":21hxwogw said:
Marvin49":21hxwogw said:
Well, for the record I don't hate Carroll. I liked him when he was the 49ers DC and was sad to see him go.

I do think that what happened at USC is a little fishy, but I don't have any problems with the man.

Oh yeah, just for clarification, I don't even remotely hate Carroll either. I think he's smug and the USC exit smelled to high heaven, but I don't even really dislike him, and think he has done a really good job up in Seattle. That said though, I think overall Hawks fans hate Harbaugh and Kaepernick (or krapperdink, or whatever :) ) much, much, much more than 9ers fans dislike Carroll and Wilson (who I actually like a lot). It's definitely a quite big and quite mutual rivalry, but it does seem to be a little bit more personal for Hawks fans than for 9ers fans overall, IMO.

(cue the people chiming in saying it's just because Harbaugh and Kaepernick really are spawns of the devil ;) )

TOTALLY agree on that.

To me it seems Niner fans kinda have fun with it but there is legitimate HATE for the 49ers. Dunno why.

Lol...check out the Niners forums. They hate us just as much if not more. Seems to be a lot of anger out there

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
FrankTheTank21":19mku97i said:
At the end of the day it's about wins and losses.

That's true. But throughout the day I'd rather root for an enthusiastic & positive person than a condescending & crybaby person. :)

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1r09wv1c said:

Yes, we love this gif. And yes, we can see why opponent's fans would not.

The difference:

This is a coach mugging it up for his own players on the sideline. It's a laugh. It's not meant as a serious "I'm just that cool" statement. He's a 60-year-old guy goofing around with his 20-something-year-old players.

He is not, and never is:
Talking down to reporters
Dismissively slapping a coach's hand after a game
Glaring menacingly at a little girl at a baseball game
Throwing his clipboard, headset, etc.
Screaming at and trying to intimidate officials
Collapsing into physical contortions like a spoiled brat

Pete's goal is to do everything better than it's been done before. That is indeed a lofty goal. If it comes off as smug, so be it, but the guy walks the walk (ha!) and puts in the work for all his successes. Again, if that makes him smug in opponents' fans eyes, fine. But that gif above isn't him showing up an opponent, looking for the camera, or pulling an attitude and putting it in anyone's face. He's lightheartedly getting a laugh from his players. If that inspires hate or anger, that's not really on Pete.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Harbaugh tells guys like Clay Matthews to bring knuckles and punches Jim Kelly because he feels Kelly questioned his manhood.

Pete Carroll goes with one guy late at night into some of the most gang-infested neighborhoods in LA just to talk to guys and give them hope, and helps many of them get part-time jobs.

Both are terrific coaches who stand up for their players.

I'll take Pete. Thanks.

thebanjodude

Reaction score
Considering the topic matter...this conversation has remained remarkably civil and interesting :) Kudos Niners fans

Latest posts