Why 49er fans hate Pete Carroll

hedgehawk

Reaction score
49er fans would love Carroll if he was their coach, just as we would love Harbaugh if he was ours. We'd call Pete a cheat and they would call Harbaugh a whiny douche.

Shadyhawk182

Reaction score
At least a cheat implies doing something so good that something has to be up. There is no redeemable qualities of a whiney douche.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
hedgehawk":1tlztn5m said:
49er fans would love Carroll if he was their coach, just as we would love Harbaugh if he was ours. We'd call Pete a cheat and they would call Harbaugh a whiny douche.
True...though I've never hated Pete even when he was at USC. And a cheat? I wouldnt call him that because a player got caught with his hands in the cookie jar

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
I never bought the cheat stuff when he was at USC. I was not a fan of the hire, but I was wrong. If you know anything about the man he is impossible to hate. Just a great person all around.

mretrade

Reaction score
I don't hate him. He has done a lot better than I thought he would and I like the chew gum the way he chews it.

H4WKSF4N

Reaction score
hedgehawk":3q72h9ob said:

No... I would be embarrassed to have Harbaugh as hawks coach. I appreciate a coach's enthusiasm to a certain point but the constant whining has to be embarrassing for anyone around or related to Harbaugh.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Honest question looking for an honest answer:

I'm assuming most Hawks fans are also Huskies fans, and I know with Carroll's success with the Hawks all has been forgiven, but did you guys honestly not hate Carroll when he was @ USC?

I ask because I think for most 9ers fans (many of whom are Cal and Stanford fans), they already hated Carroll before he even came to the Hawks.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
hedgehawk":1prkzere said:

I would NOT love Harbaugh if he was ours. Not at all. If he got us to the SB I'd be happy for the success, but I would lament that we had a grown man throwing tantrums as our leader.

I was patient with our two 7-9 seasons under Pete because the intangibles, the vibe, the positivity was palpable after those two anemic Mora-tainted seasons. Despite the record, many of us felt the Seahawks were a competent QB away from being a really good football team. We got a great QB and became a great team, confirming the hope that Pete & Co. inspired in us. That's the power of Always ComPETE and Win Forever.

Two subpar seasons under a crybaby coach would have been miserable.

John_Redcorn

Reaction score
H4WKSF4N":1wcrq7gb said:
hedgehawk":1wcrq7gb said:

No... I would be embarrassed to have Harbaugh as hawks coach. I appreciate a coach's enthusiasm to a certain point but the constant whining has to be embarrassing for anyone around or related to Harbaugh.
Yea... His winning record and consecutive division wins are embarassing. Who cares about if a guy can coach you just prefee someone with a likeable face and nice personality.

Who cares if he may be the best developer of qbs in the game - i dont like his FACE.

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
I lived in the Bay Area for 6 years, I'm now back in WA, but I have a lot of friends that are niner fans. Most of them are embarrassed by Harbaugh's insane tantrums and the way he acts in the media. They also love the success the team is having and think he is a good coach. I agree with both sentiments, he's a good coach but he acts like a loon. They are not mutually exclusive.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
John_Redcorn":1saksld5 said:
H4WKSF4N":1saksld5 said:
hedgehawk":1saksld5 said:

Yea... His winning record and consecutive division wins are embarassing. Who cares about if a guy can coach you just prefee someone with a likeable face and nice personality.

Who cares if he may be the best developer of qbs in the game - i dont like his FACE.
You guys seem to not be able to separate his coaching ability and his personality. Like the poster above said, they're not mutually exclusive. You can love him as a coach but not like the guy's personality and antics.

NorthwestSportsFan

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1yi9x2rf said:
Honest question looking for an honest answer:

I'm assuming most Hawks fans are also Huskies fans, and I know with Carroll's success with the Hawks all has been forgiven, but did you guys honestly not hate Carroll when he was @ USC?

I ask because I think for most 9ers fans (many of whom are Cal and Stanford fans), they already hated Carroll before he even came to the Hawks.

For me, I respectfully disliked Carroll when he was at USC. It was more about him being the head coach of a rival than anything about him personally, though. He seemed like the kind of coach that I would want to play for. It was more about the frustration of losing to him and seeing the Huskies at their worst. Now that he's in Seattle I respect him and his coaching philosophy. I was skeptical, but I've been pleasantly surprised.

When Harbaugh was at Stanford I loathed the guy. I could tell immediately that he would be successful, but I didn't like the way he went about coaching. His hard-nosed, old-school coaching style may work for some, but there's no way I would have played for someone like that. I don't like the guy for personality reasons. When he went the the 9ers, he brought his personality with him. So I still loathe him.

An interesting comparison is Chip Kelly. I didn't like him one bit when he was at Oregon, but I definitely respected his football mind. I'd say my views of Kelly are somewhere between Carroll and Harbaugh. While he's not nearly the prick that Harbaugh is, there's still something about Kelly that rubs me the wrong way. But, it's not to the point that I hate the guy. Now that he's away from a hated rival, I can now watch Kelly with a bit more appreciation for his system.

All three bring something unique to the table. But, based solely on personality I would pick Carroll every day.

John_Redcorn

Reaction score
-The Glove-":38vwm2e0 said:
John_Redcorn":38vwm2e0 said:
H4WKSF4N":38vwm2e0 said:
hedgehawk":38vwm2e0 said:

You guys seem to not be able to separate his coaching ability and his personality. Like the poster above said, they're not mutually exclusive. You can love him as a coach but not like the guy's personality and antics.
I just dont see why the other matters. I only care about results and lets say the 49ers win -- how many of you would be consoled by saying "well shucks, at least petes a nice guy, look at him handle the presser so well after a hard loss to that douchey douche"

I have my own life and people I actually know and deal with personally - as long as Harbs keeps giving.me the sundays hes given me, I couldnt care less about his antics or personality etc - and why would I?

And since u guys care... Kaep does have a stupid ass personal style in a lot of 49ers fans view. Harb is understandbly viewed as a jerk to a lot of us... It just doesnt matter.

kearly

Reaction score
I enjoyed that. The Seahawks perspective portion focused on history and facts, and the 49ers perspective section focused on jokes (some of which were actually pretty funny) and cheap shots. Perfect.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
John_Redcorn":36o42ptk said:
I just dont see why the other matters. I only care about results and lets say the 49ers win

If that were truly all you cared about, then the rules would also be irrelevant; winning could come at any cost. True fans love teams when they win, but not ONLY because, when, or if they win. They love the character of a team, the personalities involved, and the rapport that does indeed developed with a winning team.

You lose something from the fan experience if you can't stand a certain aspect of the team or game. Seeing your coach on the sideline acting like a 2-year old when things don't go his way is a stain on on otherwise strong and respected team.

Pete isn't an embarrassment. Jim is.

It matters, and you know it. 8)

HawksFTW

Reaction score
H4WKSF4N":ghm1p6op said:
hedgehawk":ghm1p6op said:

Yep. Mora was crucified around here for his antics, and isnt/wasnt a 10th of the spoiled shit that Harbaugh acts like on and off the field.