Who to root for!

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Most of us here are fairly educated football fans and in any given NFL game we usually know which result helps our team the most; however there are friends and family and co-workers who love the hawks but aren't the most savvy when it comes to the general NFL landscape.

So, every week I usually go through the games that include all the NFC teams that highlight which result of a particular matchup helps out the Seahawks playoff chances and seeding more and shoot out a quick email. That way when they are watching games on sunday they can formulate a rooting interest based on that if they so desire. I figured I would copy-paste it here in case anyone else was interested.

So, here is my week 4 list.

========================================================

49ers @ Rams

Both teams are 1-2 and both teams looked fairly uncompetitive in their previous games. On one hand it would make the most sense to pick the niners because we already own a win over them, on the other we saw last year how good they can be when they get rollin.

IMO at worst, we split with the rams. We also play our road game vs. the rams on a Monday night, following a Thursday night game with the cardinals meaning we will have a long week to prepare for the game. It will also be in prime time, not a 10 AM start like our game at ST. Louis was last year. Conversely the rams will be coming off a road trip to Carolina. Their run game is almost non-existant, as they pass the ball nearly 3 times as often as they run it. If things stay relatively similar by the time that game rolls around I would pick our secondary to beat the rams in prime time. They simply haven’t shown the kind of improvement I expected them to. I'm more confident in this right now than I am our ability to win at Candlestick later in the season when the niners might have their heads back in the game and be making a playoff push.

So, it makes more sense (to me) to deliver another blow to the 49ers season here. Kick them while they are down and if their recent struggles are just a fluke, put them in as big a hole as possible while we can.

Giants @ Chiefs

A simple afc vs. nfc pick even though the Giants don't look like much of a contender.

Cardinals @ Buccaneers

An obvious pick against a division opponent, made much easier by the fact that the Buccs are winless and not likely to be a threat to our seeding at this point.

Steelers @ Vikings

Another simple afc vs. nfc pick. Although I hate the steelers and the vikes don’t look like much of the threat so I wouldn’t mind seeing minn. beat them up on a personal level, logic calls for a Steelers victory.

Bears @ Lions

Two NFC Teams that look pretty good so far and could be challengers for our seeding. Bears have more wins so we want them to not get another one this week. The lions being possible contenders keeps this from being a “big” game this week because at this point in the schedule either result doesn’t affect things much (yet).

Eagles @ Broncos

I don’t see the eagles making this much of a game as their D will probably be shredded. Not to mention the fact that chip kelly’s gimmick fast-paced offense may work great when you have a 200 person roster full of 18 year olds, not so much with 53 late 20’s/early 30’s millionaires who have to then run it in the thin air of denver.

Cowboys @ Chargers
Never miss an opportunity to root against the Cowboys!

Redskins @ Raiders
What's sad is that the Redskins look so bad that this will probably be the exact result.

Patriots @ Falcons

Atlanta is 1-2; last year it took them till December to lose 2 games. But they are still dangerous.

SEAHAWKS-CENTRIC GAME OF THE WEEK:

DOLPHINS @ SAINTS

So far the Bears and the Saints look like the biggest threat to the Seahawks; however until we know more about the Lions and the Bears it’s hard to know how the result of their game will affect Seattle. The Saints losing to the Dolphins then becomes the matchup to watch of the week. It hands an unbeaten NFC team a loss, without also giving another NFC team a win. I realize that in the end when it comes to tiebreakers, games against AFC teams matter less but for now we need separation more than we need to start worrying about tie breakers.

Hawker

Reaction score
May it be from the old division rivalry, I can't root for Denver. Or, looking at it another way; anything that makes Peyton's road to the Superbowl less likely in the AFC is good in my book, so, the only game I disagree with you on is the Eagles/Broncos game. Having said that, we all know the Eagles are in for a mile-high whoopin'.

OP
OP
Hawknballs

Hawknballs

Reaction score
the picks are just based on the logical route for the Seahawks to make the playoffs and with the highest seed possible, not based on who I personally want to win in every match up.

Hamhawk

Reaction score
:13:
Hawker":1bh2cnbk said:
May it be from the old division rivalry, I can't root for Denver. Or, looking at it another way; anything that makes Peyton's road to the Superbowl less likely in the AFC is good in my book, so, the only game I disagree with you on is the Eagles/Broncos game. Having said that, we all know the Eagles are in for a mile-high whoopin'.
yes , it's next to impossible for me to want the Donkies to win,...

hidn

Reaction score
3 games into the season and we have a 2 game lead on the division. That's awesome!

If the Niners win and Cards lose, we have a 2 and 1/2 game lead on the division.

If the Rams win, it's still only a 2 game lead.

Root for the Niners.

Seahawkscrazy

Reaction score
hidn":17ve8j9v said:
3 games into the season and we have a 2 game lead on the division. That's awesome!

If the Niners win and Cards lose, we have a 2 and 1/2 game lead on the division.

Root for the Niners.

Can't I just root for them to suck less?

Timberhawk

Reaction score
I love these Posts! It's always fun to think about whom to root for to make the Hawks road to the SB easier. Home field all the way! To that point you have to root for the Rams this week. Yeah, maybe a Ninners win is 2.5 for now, but really the Whiners are the only team that has a shot to really contend this year so bury them as much as possible now.

Who would have ever thought I would have been rooting for the Stealers two weeks in a row? Alas that is what is happening, but if they let me down two weeks in a row too at least I still have that. Love to see the Stealers stinking it up big time! Agree with all your calls this week. Thanks for the post and Go Hawks!!

hawks4thewin

Reaction score
All of our routing is sound..
I am however pulling for Miami.. for 2 reasons.
1) The saints are 3 and 0 also and we don't need the nfc champion ship game to go through there.
2) my 10 year old daughter likes the uniforms hahaha
GO dolphins

bellyfat

Reaction score
We actually want the Redskins to win over the Raiders. Why? We kick their ass in the playoffs anyways and right now they're 0-3 and they owe the Rams a first round pick.

Just lose baby!

Goodwin Seahawk

Reaction score
I'd rather stick a dull-leaded pencil in both my eyes than root for the cry-baby skorty-niners. Go Rams!

I too am looking forward to the Dolphins/Saints game although I doubt it gets aired in the PNW.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Goodwin Seahawk":p3f5mh39 said:
I too am looking forward to the Dolphins/Saints game although I doubt it gets aired in the PNW.

It's the MNF game.

OP
OP
Hawknballs

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Goodwin Seahawk":3gb11hzx said:
I'd rather stick a dull-leaded pencil in both my eyes than root for the cry-baby skorty-niners. Go Rams!

its Monday night football.

FearTheBeak

Reaction score
hidn":13gt4cg7 said:

Root for the Niners.

NEVER...EVER...EVER...EVER...EVER...EVER!!!!

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
hidn":19mnxmdw said:

Root for the Niners.

Do you think the Rams are better than the Niners? If so then root for the Niners.

Im rooting for the Rams, they suck and the Niners are the only threat to the NFC West.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
hidn":133vk4id said:

Root for the Niners.

Tie breaker and half games are different.

OP
OP
Hawknballs

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I also backed up my 49ers pick by explaining how I am more confident that we can win on the road on a Monday night in St. Louis than I am about going to SF late in the season. That could be skewed by the fact that I was there in person to witness the horrible game we played in SF last year. The thought of it makes me ill. Going into the season most power rankings had SF in the mix with Seattle and Denver for the top 3 spots. Bury them while they are in turmoil and check them off the list as soon as we can.

OP
OP
Hawknballs

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Why move this here? It's specifically SEAHAWKS related.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Can't root for stealers... not gonna do it. Vikings pose no threat to the Seahawks.

Don't we want the NFC to do well so when the Seahawks win the Super Bowl we don't have to hear about their cake schedule being the reason?

kearly

Reaction score
I can't figure out if I want to root for, or against the Broncos this season. I think they have a very real shot at 16-0 with that offense and that schedule. If they go 16-0 and meet Seattle in the big game with the first 19-0 season at stake, maybe that puts extra pressure on Denver. The lack of adversity in such a season would be a plus in the SB for Seattle as well. But at the same time, if that happens, it overshadows what Seattle will do this season and make Denver the talk of the league, even though they are a far less talented team that happens to be carried by an all-universe passing offense.