Who is your surprise player that will be cut?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I wish, but he has a guaranteed salary of $6M for this year so we'd have to absorb a $9M dead money hit with no cap savings this year. And then another $3M dead money hit in 2023 but this time with a $6.5M cap savings.

My only reservation is related to his having offseason knee surgery this year and whether that injury was responsible for his mediocre play last year.

Frankly, I'd really would like to see Damien Lewis return to RG.
Jackson if traded would provide the team with a $6 mil cap saving, leaving $3 mil in dead money.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Jackson if traded would provide the team with a $6 mil cap saving, leaving $3 mil in dead money.
Agreed, and another $3M next year as well.

But... what team is going to trade for Jackson? I don't see it. He's coming off of surgery and he was mediocre last year.

We can hope but I wouldn't hold my breath.

flv2

Reaction score
Eskridge is my Suprise cut. I think he will be odd man out in the WR room.
That would be a surprise. Eskridge's salary is guaranteed for 2022 so cutting him saves nothing and replacing him would cost money.

flv2

Reaction score
The $3M dead money cap hits for 2022 and 2023 will stay as they are regardless of whether Jackson is kept, cut, or traded. Trading him is an option but cutting him only makes sense if his play has fallen off a cliff and the Seahawks have 10 OL who are better than him.

Fade

Reaction score
How much free cap once these players are cut?

Chris Carson: $4.6M in savings.
Jason Meyers: $4M in savings.
LJ Collier: $986k in savings.
Ugo Amadi: $2.54M in savings.
Kyle Fuller: $1M in savings.

It takes the Seahawks from $17M in space to $30M in space.

Wasting cap space on guys who have no future on the team is detrimental. None of these players will be on the team next year. They should be looking to rollover as much cap space as possible for future seasons. Cut or trade them if you can.

EDIT: Found another one…

Marquis Blair: $1.345M in savings.

Which would put them at nearly $32M in space.

Last edited:

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Damien Lewis. I just don’t think he’s a fit for the OL style Waldron and Dickinson like. Remember Solari was the coach when they drafted Lewis. He’s a mauler type and less athletic. Solari’s philosophy and type of players differs from Waldron/Dickinson preferences. His draft profile compared him to Gabe Jackson. If Gabe isn’t a fit, Lewis may not be either.

Lewis isn’t making significant $$ therefore most likely they keep him until his contract is up.

Last edited:

Fade

Reaction score
Damien Lewis. I just don’t think he’s a fit for the OL style Waldron and Dickinson like. Remember Solari was the coach when they drafted Lewis. He’s a mauler type and less athletic. Solari’s philosophy and type of players differs from Waldron/Dickinson preferences. His draft profile compared him to Gabe Jackson. If Gabe isn’t a fit, Lewis may not be either.

Lewis isn’t making significant $$ therefore most likely they keep him until his contract is up.
I agree he isn't a fit, neither is Gabe Jackson. Big, slow, plodders.

That being said, they probably won't cut Lewis, too cheap. No capspace to be gained. They'll give him another year at least.

Rat

Reaction score
I agree he isn't a fit, neither is Gabe Jackson. Big, slow, plodders.

That being said, they probably won't cut Lewis, too cheap. No capspace to be gained. They'll give him another year at least.
That's pretty much what they did with Rob Sims the second they got here; traded him to the Lions for scraps.

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Chris Carson: $4.6M in savings.
Jason Meyers: $4M in savings.
LJ Collier: $986k in savings.
Ugo Amadi: $2.54M in savings.
Kyle Fuller: $1M in savings.

It takes the Seahawks from $17M in space to $30M in space.

Wasting cap space on guys who have no future on the team is detrimental. None of these players will be on the team next year. They should be looking to rollover as much cap space as possible for future seasons. Cut or trade them if you can.

EDIT: Found another one…

Marquis Blair: $1.345M in savings.

Which would put them at nearly $32M in space.
Like you did with Dee Ford? Makes sense

Lagartixa

Reaction score
John Ursua, don't think he will be on the team.
Sure, but is that gonna be any kind of surprise?

Ursua is 28 and has exactly one reception in his NFL career, and it was in 2019.
Also, he's not currently on the Seahawks' 90-man roster, according to https://www.seahawks.com.

I actually didn't know that, but his street-free-agent contract for 2021 is over, and there doesn't appear to be much more reason to bring him in for training camp than there would be to bring in, say, Jazz Ferguson for another look. At this point, I'd rather get a look at what some of the young WRs currently on the roster can do, and that seems to be how the Seahawks see it too. The Seahawks currently have 13 players listed as WRs on the 90-man roster: Deontez Alexander, Dee Eskridge, Aaron Fuller, Marquise Goodwin, Penny Hart, Cade Johnson, Kevin Kassis, Tyler Lockett, Bo Melton, DK Metcalf, Freddie Swain, Cody Thompson, and Dareke Young.

Last edited:

toffee

Reaction score
Sure, but is that gonna be any kind of surprise?

Ursua is 28 and has exactly one reception in his NFL career, and it was in 2019.
Also, he's not currently on the Seahawks' 90-man roster, according to https://www.seahawks.com.

I actually didn't know that, but his street-free-agent contract for 2021 is over, and there doesn't appear to be much more reason to bring him in for training camp than there would be to bring in, say, Jazz Ferguson for another look. At this point, I'd rather get a look at what some of the young WRs currently on the roster can do, and that seems to be how the Seahawks see it too. The Seahawks currently have 13 players listed as WRs on the 90-man roster: Deontez Alexander, Dee Eskridge, Aaron Fuller, Marquise Goodwin, Penny Hart, Cade Johnson, Kevin Kassis, Tyler Lockett, Bo Melton, DK Metcalf, Freddie Swain, Cody Thompson, and Dareke Young.
I rather bring Jazz in for another look, he actually did well in preseason games.