Who is testing Cris Carson? 10 of 11 first real plays to him

Tokadub

Reaction score
Who is testing Chris Carson?

I thought about the Offensive plays, I re-watched the 2nd half (re-read the 1st half Play by Play):

https://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=401220367

1st possession:

4 out of 10 plays were Carson. The other plays were:

- 1 pass to Metcalf
- 1 Russell Scramble
- Penalty
- Sack
- Travis Homer runs on 3rd and 22...
- Punt

2nd possession:

2 out of 6 plays were Carson. The other plays were:

- 1 Russell Scramble
- Sack
- Pass to F. Swain for 12 yards on 3rd and 16...
- Punt

3rd possession:

1 out of 4 plays were Carson. The other plays were:

- Sack
- Sack
- Punt

4th possession: we had 10 seconds end of 1st half. Not including this data.

5th possession:

3 out of 4 plays were Carson. The other plays were:

- Punt...

CONCLUSION:

Why was Chris Carson involved in 10 of our first 24 plays??? It seemed forced to me, like someone was going into this game with that idea. I'm not sure if it was Schottenheimer, Carroll, Wilson, OR IF OUR INITIAL GAMEPLAN WAS JUST THAT BAD AND WE GOT 100% OUT COACHED BY THE VIKINGS?

If you remove the Wilson scrambles, the sacks, the penalties, and the punts... CARSON WAS INVOLVED IN:

11 of these first 24 plays were Wilson scrambles, sacks, penalties, and punts... Meaning....

CARSON WAS GETTING THE BALL IN 10 of our first 13 PLAYS??????????????!!!!!

If you remove the 2 garbage plays where we didn't attempt to even get a first down (Homer runs on 3rd and 22 + Swain receives for 12 on 3rd and 16)...

THAT MEANS CARSON WAS GETTING THE BALL ON 10 OF OUR FIRST 11 LEGIT PLAYS!!!???

The only other play that wasn't Carson or the above mentioned failures was 1 first down pass to Metcalf...

SO THE QUESTION REMAINS... why did we seem to unnaturally force it to Carson?

I'm not sure if it was a coincidence, a bad game plan, or if someone underestimated the Vikings and were deliberately trying to force Carson to perform basically saying "Hey if we run you 3 times can you pick up a first down?".

That's how awkward the play calls seemed from my perspective, like they are testing him to see if they should give him a new contract etc...

Not the best idea considering he just had an injury from that dirty play where it looked like it could of been way worst from what I saw. I thought he might be done for the season when I saw that Alligator Roll...

Stop testing Cris Carson or just come up with better game plans because that looked weird straight up offensively speaking...

Where were our Tight Ends??? Where was everyone other than Metcalf to try to get first downs??? What was that??? Please I don't like it, stop it!

I was gonna do some other random thoughts but this was a way longer point than I expected so:

I guess my final thought is I thought Travis Homer read the play really well and had a great block on the 4th and 10 with the 39 yard completion to Metcalf. I didn't notice that live, but that was really clutch he read it perfectly imo and Wilson would of gotten destroyed if Homer had misplayed there.

Oh, I guess I should add... that game was fun!!! The way we got the win, that was amazing!

AgentDib

Reaction score
So... when you remove most of the plays where Carson was uninvolved, then you find he was involved in most of the remaining plays in which he was involved? I'm not sure you are making any breakthroughs here but I love the enthusiasm.

You may also want to consider that if you are eliminating most of the plays where Carson was uninvolved because they were "bad" plays, then that isn't exactly an argument for giving him fewer touches.

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Well, let's see those Carson plays:

(8:48 - 1st) R.Wilson pass short middle to C.Carson to SEA 32 for 7 yards (E.Kendricks).
(8:28 - 1st) (No Huddle) C.Carson right guard to SEA 37 for 5 yards (E.Wilson; I.Odenigbo).
(7:12 - 1st) (Shotgun) C.Carson left end to MIN 49 for 1 yard (J.Gladney).
(6:10 - 1st) (Shotgun) R.Wilson pass short right to C.Carson pushed ob at MIN 28 for 2 yards (T.Davis).
(8:03 - 2nd) (No Huddle) C.Carson left guard to SEA 36 for 7 yards (A.Harris; C.Dantzler)
(6:41 - 2nd) (Shotgun) R.Wilson pass short middle to C.Carson to SEA 30 for 3 yards (E.Kendricks).
(3:14 - 2nd) R.Wilson pass short left to C.Carson to SEA 34 for -6 yards (E.Wilson).
(15:00 - 3rd) C.Carson right tackle to SEA 28 for 3 yards (E.Wilson; J.Johnson).
(14:24 - 3rd) C.Carson right guard to SEA 34 for 6 yards (J.Johnson).
(13:51 - 3rd) C.Carson up the middle to SEA 34 for no gain (E.Kendricks).

1 negative play
1 no gain
4 plays for 5 or more yards

What's the problem?

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
If you eliminate those 5 plays that Minnesota scored on, our defense tossed a shutout.

JGreen79

Reaction score
I think it pretty much came down to Pete being over conservative with the weather. Turnovers tend to decide games in those conditions, and Pete likes ti minimize turnovers on perfect days.

Genka

Reaction score
Some of those were check downs, he wasn’t the primary read

AgentDib

Reaction score
Genka":1xpi3soh said:
Some of those were check downs, he wasn’t the primary read
If you eliminate the ones that were check downs then he was the primary read on the rest. And if you eliminate the passes to other players, Carson was the target on 100% of our throws yesterday which is clearly too high.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Tokadub":215ebkvq said:
Who is testing Chris Carson?

I thought about the Offensive plays, I re-watched the 2nd half (re-read the 1st half Play by Play):

https://www.espn.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=401220367

1st possession:

4 out of 10 plays were Carson. The other plays were:

- 1 pass to Metcalf
- 1 Russell Scramble
- Penalty
- Sack
- Travis Homer runs on 3rd and 22...
- Punt

2nd possession:

2 out of 6 plays were Carson. The other plays were:

- 1 Russell Scramble
- Sack
- Pass to F. Swain for 12 yards on 3rd and 16...
- Punt

3rd possession:

1 out of 4 plays were Carson. The other plays were:

- Sack
- Sack
- Punt

4th possession: we had 10 seconds end of 1st half. Not including this data.

5th possession:

3 out of 4 plays were Carson. The other plays were:

- Punt...

CONCLUSION:

Why was Chris Carson involved in 10 of our first 24 plays??? It seemed forced to me, like someone was going into this game with that idea. I'm not sure if it was Schottenheimer, Carroll, Wilson, OR IF OUR INITIAL GAMEPLAN WAS JUST THAT BAD AND WE GOT 100% OUT COACHED BY THE VIKINGS?

If you remove the Wilson scrambles, the sacks, the penalties, and the punts... CARSON WAS INVOLVED IN:

11 of these first 24 plays were Wilson scrambles, sacks, penalties, and punts... Meaning....

CARSON WAS GETTING THE BALL IN 10 of our first 13 PLAYS??????????????!!!!!

If you remove the 2 garbage plays where we didn't attempt to even get a first down (Homer runs on 3rd and 22 + Swain receives for 12 on 3rd and 16)...

THAT MEANS CARSON WAS GETTING THE BALL ON 10 OF OUR FIRST 11 LEGIT PLAYS!!!???

The only other play that wasn't Carson or the above mentioned failures was 1 first down pass to Metcalf...

SO THE QUESTION REMAINS... why did we seem to unnaturally force it to Carson?

I'm not sure if it was a coincidence, a bad game plan, or if someone underestimated the Vikings and were deliberately trying to force Carson to perform basically saying "Hey if we run you 3 times can you pick up a first down?".

That's how awkward the play calls seemed from my perspective, like they are testing him to see if they should give him a new contract etc...

Not the best idea considering he just had an injury from that dirty play where it looked like it could of been way worst from what I saw. I thought he might be done for the season when I saw that Alligator Roll...

Stop testing Cris Carson or just come up with better game plans because that looked weird straight up offensively speaking...

Where were our Tight Ends??? Where was everyone other than Metcalf to try to get first downs??? What was that??? Please I don't like it, stop it!

I was gonna do some other random thoughts but this was a way longer point than I expected so:

I guess my final thought is I thought Travis Homer read the play really well and had a great block on the 4th and 10 with the 39 yard completion to Metcalf. I didn't notice that live, but that was really clutch he read it perfectly imo and Wilson would of gotten destroyed if Homer had misplayed there.

Oh, I guess I should add... that game was fun!!! The way we got the win, that was amazing!
Because it was raining, and the Vikes have been terrible at defending the run this year. We also need to get the run game going more; we need a little more balance offensively or we risk teams teeing off on Russ.