Who’s our starting center game one?

zchurch74

Reaction score
??? It’s going to get ugly and prove Pete and John no longer know what’s going on during the draft.

RockinHawks

Reaction score
Our starting center will be...Pocic? I mean, he did start at that position last year, and performed admirably.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Way too hard on (hehe) Pocic here. He was league average first year starting.

He is week 1 starter

OP
OP
zchurch74

zchurch74

Reaction score
He’s hurt AGAIN. Do you think he will be ready and make it thru an entire season?

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
zchurch74":17rbb30q said:
He’s hurt AGAIN. Do you think he will be ready and make it thru an entire season?

If not, they're high on Fuller and Lewis proved a decent replacement in his single game of action last year.

If you're just randomly assuming a rookie would slot in and do any better, especially a late second rounder, then I'm not sure you understand the reality of the NFL. Far from a sure thing.

balakoth

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":3muwx8ny said:
zchurch74":3muwx8ny said:

If not, they're high on Fuller and Lewis proved a decent replacement in his single game of action last year.

If you're just randomly assuming a rookie would slot in and do any better, especially a late second rounder, then I'm not sure you understand the reality of the NFL. Far from a sure thing.

According to most stats .. no Fuller was not a decent replacement.. and Procic did not do that well. Its one of the reasons we get interior rushed so often.

You made assumptions on his basic post while ignoring facts. I'm not sure YOU understand the reality of the NFL.

massari

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":3d5a793d said:
The floor for a late 2nd rounder is still probably better than Fuller has played in his career thus far.

Eskridge is nice to have, but seems more like a luxury pick. Josh Myers or Creed Humphrey would've filled a much bigger need.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Apparently Phil Haynes is being looked at as a center. Since Lewis is already playing a new position, I believe more time to adjust to his new role. Hopefully this chance will help Haynes stay healthier and contribute.
https://www.fieldgulls.com/2021/8/1...nter-seattle-seahawks-camp-ethan-pocic-injury

Too early to say if Haynes wil be the starter week 1 though. Most likely it will be Fuller if Pocic is not ready to go.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
massari":3pjwsbrn said:
Maelstrom787":3pjwsbrn said:
The floor for a late 2nd rounder is still probably better than Fuller has played in his career thus far.

Eskridge is nice to have, but seems more like a luxury pick. Josh Myers or Creed Humphrey would've filled a much bigger need.

Not really. You have a dead average starting center in Pocic and a guy who has constantly pushed him and may have even won in camp regardless in Fuller, along with developmental Haynes and emergency (but very good) option in Lewis.

WR3 on the other hand? Swain. And then zip, at a position that needs a lot more depth than center, at which C1 plays 100% of the snaps. It was a bigger need than is being acknowledged.

Really hard for me to get on board with center being a bigger need at the time than depth at WR. Maybe if we were back in 2000 and the I-form was still a supreme option.

OP
OP
zchurch74

zchurch74

Reaction score
Can’t get the ball to any wide receiver if the line can’t block. That has been our issue for a few years. We can’t continue to rely on Russ scrambling.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
zchurch74":t9p3jlgs said:
Can’t get the ball to any wide receiver if the line can’t block. That has been our issue for a few years. We can’t continue to rely on Russ scrambling.

That's just not the reality of the situation anymore. Line blocked just fine last year. Ball was routinely held. Whether that's coaching or player execution, up for debate. Fine. But the scrambling and ball holding is self-inflicted, and if the rock would come out on time, then the lines average to above average pass blocking would be abundantly apparent to people other than the film guys.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":9hh6lm6u said:
zchurch74":9hh6lm6u said:

But Donald wrecks Pocic!

If only Seattle drafted a rookie center to take care of that.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
massari":3a1yurkc said:

Easy now. Some think that 3rd receiver spot is the most important position on the field, when in reality, its not. Any cheap free agent would have been just fine. Eskridge was a luxury pick.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
pittpnthrs":fqcryf3c said:
massari":fqcryf3c said:

Easy now. Some think that 3rd receiver spot is the most important position on the field, when in reality, its not. Any cheap free agent would have been just fine. Eskridge was a luxury pick.

Way to completely misrepresent the argument regarding WR3.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
zchurch74":1ff3sk7v said:
??? It’s going to get ugly and prove Pete and John no longer know what’s going on during the draft.
Whose -> O-U-R , Not -> "ARE" ....s#*t, I am half drunk :irishdrinkers: an hour & a half away from kickoff on OUR first pre-season game, and even I KNOW how to correctumly spell the rite words... sum uv you all need some skooling...PM me an I'll learn ya, OH KAY? :vodka:
And quit postin dum stuff, it urin's me off. :x

hawk45

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":18mrvq2u said:
pittpnthrs":18mrvq2u said:
massari":18mrvq2u said:

Way to completely misrepresent the argument regarding WR3.
Much respect to maelstrom but with what we have at WR1 and WR2, and with our OL history, I take a C prospect all day over WR3. I personally believe that OL depth is priority and I’m puzzled at folks who do not.

massari

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":ujzd69qr said:
Not really. You have a dead average starting center in Pocic and a guy who has constantly pushed him and may have even won in camp regardless in Fuller, along with developmental Haynes and emergency (but very good) option in Lewis.

WR3 on the other hand? Swain. And then zip, at a position that needs a lot more depth than center, at which C1 plays 100% of the snaps. It was a bigger need than is being acknowledged.

Really hard for me to get on board with center being a bigger need at the time than depth at WR. Maybe if we were back in 2000 and the I-form was still a supreme option.
Pocic may be average, but he and Haynes are made of glass and can't be counted on to play when needed. Doubtful that improves with age.

Pocic is average in pass protection, but sub par run blocking.

Corbin Smith:
The team already tried to replace/aggressively push Pocic by signing B.J. Finney during last year's free agency period. In the end, Pocic won the job after Finney showed up to camp out of shape.

Pocic is a solid center. However, his weaknesses are consistent and cap certain elements of the offense. For instance: he struggles one-on-one in pass protection or in the run game, which could really frustrate Waldron as he tries to get his center to reach block dudes one-on-one on outside zone runs.
Most were hoping to upgrade Center either in free agency or the draft, but once again it was neglected. The Adams trade likely the cause.

Without Eskridge, they would've likely signed one of the many cheap free agents to fill that role to compete with the rest of the young guys on the roster. Even Wilson's eskimo brother Golden Tate is still available.

But if Eskridge turns into Tyreek Hill, all will be forgiven :)

Basis4day

Reaction score
zchurch74":3hkkevsx said:

Where does this perception that teams make it through entire seasons without injuries at key positions come from?

It’s football. Everyone is hurt. Even Russ had a jacked shoulder during the 2013-14 season.

toffee

Reaction score
So who played center in yesterday's game?

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

Latest posts