Seahawks 5th Most Popular NFL Team

Lagartixa

Reaction score
I remember people calling us the "SeaSucks" when we were still in the AFC. The Super Bowl title will mean 100x more to fans like us who supported them for decades then the bandwagoners who suddenly appeared because they liked LoB

I cried tears of joy watching XLVIII. I had been waiting over 37 years for that moment.
My dad, who had supported me in being a Seahawks fan to the point of keeping up on Seahawks news when it was hard for me to do so, died almost three years before XLVIII. But I was chatting with my mom through the game (I was watching it in São Paulo and she was watching it in Maine), and that was pretty nice.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
It may just be that they did not want to get ridiculed. I grew up in Niners/Raiders territory and would be the subject of quite a bit of ridicule when wearing shirts or jackets. It was also to a minimum for me since I myself was a powerlifting offensive lineman during school to the point where several people asked me if I played for the Seachickens or whatever euphamism was popular at the time.

I've been a Seahawks fan since 1976, and for the overwhelming majority of that time, I've been the only Seahawks fan I knew. I never saw anyone else wearing Seahawks stuff at the schools I attended in southern Maine, or on the buses or around the town where I lived or the other towns in the area.

I never really worried about being ridiculed over being a Seahawks fan. I let peer pressure affect a lot of things, but not my choice of an NFL team.

keasley45

Reaction score
No reason to be jealous. The Hawks have a very robust and widespread fan base. And we keep it real. Why’d your squad get swept by our practice squad?

Yup. Wish we could be rid of the Fairweather fans and fans of a particular player over the team. Been a fan through thick and thin since 82. Cried when they were defeated by the Raiders in the AFC championship game, and then again for different reasons in 2005, the Beastquake game, and of course after our first superbowl win. Never wavered or got caught up in negativity or the blame game. Rooted for Dennis Erickson and Mora Jr as much as I did for Holmgren and Pete. Not blindly, of course, but the borderline manic negativity and bandwagon flip-flopping this way and that... there was something to be said when the base was smaller and raged against the rest of the world for respect. Didn't matter who the players or coaches were. They were our guys. Our team. Mi Familia.

The BS fantasy era tarnished the game in many ways. Now, it's all about stats , flash, no look passes and name recognition. The fundamental fan appreciation for the strategy and xs and os of the game is gone. I for one am glad we have a team that still plays the game the way its supposed to be played... at least we are getting back to it again.

Last edited:

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
I cried tears of joy watching XLVIII. I had been waiting over 37 years for that moment.
My dad, who had supported me in being a Seahawks fan to the point of keeping up on Seahawks news when it was hard for me to do so, died almost three years before XLVIII. But I was chatting with my mom through the game (I was watching it in São Paulo and she was watching it in Maine), and that was pretty nice.
3 questions:

1) Who was your favorite Hawk in 82'?

2) How often do you frequent the Sao Paolo area?

3) Have you ever had a fresh Maine lobster roll?

Lagartixa

Reaction score
3 questions:

1) Who was your favorite Hawk in 82'?

2) How often do you frequent the Sao Paolo area?

3) Have you ever had a fresh Maine lobster roll?

1) My favorite Seahawk from 1976 through '82 was Zorn. He was my first childhood sports hero. I always intended to put the number 10 (and probably the name Zorn too, but I wasn't 100% sure about that) on my royal-blue Seahawks jersey, but I never got around to it, so I played a million neighborhood pick-up games of football wearing a numberless jersey. I was almost always the QB on offense (I didn't have a fixed position on defense), and I was a Seahawks fan and Zorn was the Seahawks' starting QB, so I identified with him. It didn't bother me that Zorn is left-handed and I'm right-handed.
Zorn was my favorite, but I loved Largent too, of course, and Jacob Green and Kenny Easley. And in '83, I got heavily into Curt Warner too.

After the first Seahawks game I attended, the one in Foxborough in September of 1984, my dad and I waited near the team buses to ask players for autographs in the game program, and I got to tell Zorn (by then Krieg's backup) to his face that I had had his autographed picture framed on the wall of my room in Maine for years. I can't for the life of me remember exactly what he said, but I remember he said it with enthusiasm that seemed genuine (it was something along the lines of "all right!"). I think that was the greatest sports-fan moment of my life.

2) I have lived in the greater São Paulo area for the better part of my adult life. I lived in the city itself from 2000 through most of 2018, and then moved to a city just off São Paulo's west side, where I live now. My goddaughter's father had a dance school just over on the São Paulo side, and I walked from here to there and from there to here many times.

3) Yes, of course. But I always preferred straight lobster meat dipped in melted butter (or margarine).

In my hometown, there's a guy from Texas who makes really good barbecue, and he's usually got his food truck set up in the parking lot of the church he frequents. I mention this because when I've gone there in recent years, there's been a lobster-roll food truck across Route 1 from the barbecue guy, and it looks like the lobster-roll truck does really good business there.

Google maps has some pics of the lobster-roll spot:

We had this big cooking pot in two parts. The lower part could be used for cooking clams, which we did a little back in the '70s, and it had a spigot at the bottom for "clam broth." I don't think we ever actually used it for that. The upper part had holes in the bottom.
I found a pic of roughly how it looked:

We'd buy the same number of "chickens" (live lobsters just over a pound each) as there were people who were going to eat. We'd fill the lower part of the pot with water, put the top part on top of it, and the lid on the top part. We'd heat the water until it was boiling, and then put the lobsters in the top part to steam them (the holes in the bottom allowed the steam from the water boiling in the lower part to fill the upper part). We had a set of "crackers" to break the lobster shells and a set of slim lobster forks for pulling out the meat.
Back in the '70s, the lobsters' claws were often "pegged" closed like this:
But as time went on, the pegs disappeared and the claws would be held shut by wide rubber bands.

When I was a kid, the lobster traps I'd see everywhere were wooden, like this
One of the seasons of The Sinner takes place in Maine, and I noticed that the fisherman characters were using plastic traps like this
The next time I'm there, I'll have to check if plastic traps have mostly replaced the wooden ones.

Last edited: