Seahawks 5th Most Popular NFL Team

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
According to each team's social media accounts, the Seahawks rank #5 with only the Packers, Steelers, Patriots and Cowboys in front. Here's the Top Ten list:

1. Dallas Cowboys – 16M.
  2. New England Patriots – 15.6M.
  3. Pittsburgh Steelers- 12.4M.
  4. Green Bay Packers – 9.7M.
  5. Seattle Seahawks – 8.8M.
  6. Philadelphia Eagles – 8.7M.
  7. San Francisco 49ers – 8.4M.
  8. Denver Broncos – 7.8M.
  9. New York Giants - 7.6M.
  10. New Orleans Saints - 7.3M.
Not too bad for a team from South Alaska that allegedly nobody outside of the Pacific Northwest seems to care about.

Source: https://bolavip.com/en/nfl/all-32-n...n-support-on-social-media--20211103-0020.html

Last edited:

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
According to each team's social media accounts, the Seahawks rank #5 with only the Packers, Steelers, Patriots and Cowboys in front. Here's the Top Ten list:

1. Dallas Cowboys – 16M.
  6. ...

That's great!

...thinking more, could it also reflect the technological prowess and connectedness of the PNW in general rather than just fandom/popularity?

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
That's great!

...thinking more, could it also reflect the technological prowess and connectedness of the PNW in general rather than just fandom/popularity?
As a washington-born seahawks fan that hasn't lived in the state for going on 25 years now, you overstate the idea that the PNW is somehow more technically capable than other parts of the country. I live in the Ozarks, down an 8-mile dirt road and the people out here are just as wired in as other places I have lived (Denver/Honolulu/SoCal). It is simply the times we live in. I would also say, pretty much everywhere I go now, I have the chance to run into a seahawks fan. I would say the reach of the team now versus say 15-20 years ago is radically different so these results are unsurprising. Now exact ranking is of course impossible to know, but they are certainly one of the more popular teams.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I definitely felt the winds of change when I went on vacation to Palm Springs about a decade ago, and one day I was rocking a Seahawks jersey and I could not believe how many random "Go Hawks!" I got from people walking by. Such a paradigm shift from the days of being the "Red-headed step child of the NFL".

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Perception is a strange thing indeed.

Rat

Reaction score
Thought it was a bandwagon team??? And now that #3 is gone no one will care?? I guess not..
The linked article was printed four months before the Russ trade. We havn't seen yet how his absence will affect the numbers.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
The linked article was printed four months before the Russ trade. We havn't seen yet how his absence will affect the numbers.
Real fans will stick around pre 2012. Although we know of some here that thought the brand was the team will likely jump ship so who knows.

Own The West

Reaction score

1. Dallas Cowboys – 16M.
Not too bad for a team from South Alaska that allegedly nobody outside of the Pacific Northwest seems to care about.

Source: https://bolavip.com/en/nfl/all-32-n...n-support-on-social-media--20211103-0020.html
It’s a mystery to me why so many people follow the cowboys. They haven’t been good since Aikman/Smith and Dallas/FW is not that big of a metro.

Chawker

Reaction score
Its because of we are the greatest and loudest fans in the NFL. Win, lose or rain we pack em in and raise hell for opposing teams.

I'm a 12 and dam glad to be here.

Stud

Reaction score

1. Dallas Cowboys – 16M.

No offense but they're a lot of bandwagon Seahawks fans. Where I live, I never saw Seahawks apparel until about 2014 when I started seeing it more frequently.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
No offense but they're a lot of bandwagon Seahawks fans. Where I live, I never saw Seahawks apparel until about 2014 when I started seeing it more frequently.

Oh no question. Pre 2012 you would have been hard pressed to find anyone wearing Seahawks flare out and about around the country. The same would go for any formerly irrelevant team who suddenly found a great deal of success.

BASF

Reaction score
Oh no question. Pre 2012 you would have been hard pressed to find anyone wearing Seahawks flare out and about around the country. The same would go for any formerly irrelevant team who suddenly found a great deal of success.
It may just be that they did not want to get ridiculed. I grew up in Niners/Raiders territory and would be the subject of quite a bit of ridicule when wearing shirts or jackets. It was also to a minimum for me since I myself was a powerlifting offensive lineman during school to the point where several people asked me if I played for the Seachickens or whatever euphamism was popular at the time.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I looooooaaaaath the phrase "Seachickens". By far it was the most ubiquitous put down referring to the Hawks, mostly during the 90's where we were a dumpster fire of a franchise and an easy target. Funny how I rarely hear that term anymore. But if Geno or Lock don't pan out, it may make a comeback!

🤪

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
No reason to be jealous. The Hawks have a very robust and widespread fan base. And we keep it real. Why’d your squad get swept by our practice squad?

SonicHawk

Reaction score
The LOB was a huge hit and Russ transcended the NFL, the same with Marshawn. I'm not surprised that the little team from Alaska is popular. I'm more surprised that Denver is up there and the 49ers are that far back. I wonder how this will play out after a few seasons of just being garbage.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
I looooooaaaaath the phrase "Seachickens". By far it was the most ubiquitous put down referring to the Hawks, mostly during the 90's where we were a dumpster fire of a franchise and an easy target. Funny how I rarely hear that term anymore. But if Geno or Lock don't pan out, it may make a comeback!

🤪

I saw fans of the Gold Diggers using that one quite a bit through 2012-2016, the years the Seahawks were strong on the field, successful, and less disrespected than usual.

Eamon696

Reaction score
It also helps that the Seahawks successful years last decade came during the explosion of social media platforms like Instagram and what not. They also had an abundance of popular figures, like Sherm and Marshawn Lynch

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
No question the advent of social media played a huge role. Hard for characters like Lynch and Sherm not to be noticed nationally, which very much helped put us on the map and endear us to a new crop of 12s.

W

Welshers

🤪
I remember people calling us the "SeaSucks" when we were still in the AFC. The Super Bowl title will mean 100x more to fans like us who supported them for decades then the bandwagoners who suddenly appeared because they liked LoB