What universe am I living in?

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Still can't figure out why they call antenna, excuse me, Cable "One of the best o line coaches in the league." They were still saying that crap when Gruden hired him.

Solari is my new hero.

Seymour

Reaction score
Jimjones0384":11iyfk53 said:
Still can't figure out why they call antenna, excuse me, Cable "One of the best o line coaches in the league." They were still saying that crap when Gruden hired him.

Solari is my new hero.

Because he was lucky enough to have Russell Wilson extend his career here 3+ more years running for his life and making it somehow work. Also because he had Lynch and a strong running game working several years. But always his pass protection has been horrible (which yes I've beat into the ground), and it damn near destroyed Wilson, and this is why the deep seeded dislike for the man (and lost faith in Pete) for 3+ years from me.

Only Tom Cable could take the highest paid Oline in the league and have the #32 ranked pass protection like he did in 2013 when we actually pulled out a SB win.

Seymour

Reaction score
Shoe is on the other foot now though!!

Read this recent article on Cable. The hate is mounting. We'll find out soon enough what kind of coach Gruden is as far as tolerating incompetence like Pete did.

https://247sports.com/nfl/seattle-s...fans-Raiders-six-sacks-123328457/#123328457_1

Tom Cable has destroyed Derek Carr's offensive line but this started long before Cable got there. The offensive line was in decline in 2017 and it's surprising the sack numbers aren't even worse. But thus far, Cable's coaching has taken the line to a new level of putridness. They're on pace to more than double their sack output in 2018 compared to the past two years. What does Cable teach that has his line so terrible?

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SeanFromSeabeck/status/1051546636332101632[/tweet]

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
sc85sis":1hb1mgmu said:
If we, as I suspect we will, end up with a winning season this year, Pete had damned well better get COTY for once. He should have gotten it in 2012.

I hope you're right, but lets slow our roll.

We're about to go through the gauntlet of VERY good QB's that will challenge our defense and could pose a problem for our newly vaunted run game if we get down by 10-14 pts. Stafford, Rodgers, Mahomes, Rivers, Goff again.

LOVE what Solari's done with the line, but the next 4-6 weeks is IMO going to be the test of whether this year's Hawk team is for real.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Tom Cable is the best Defensive Line coach in NFL history

Ain't that the truth! :lol:

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Gee, it's almost like coordinators and assistant/position coaches can have a big impact on a team, for better and for worse. :)

Atradees

Reaction score
Jimjones0384":2qi2i068 said:

Solari is my new hero.

No kidding! Wow. These could be some short lived stats if either Fluker or Sweezy go down to injury. But there is hope.

(Superb Owl)

sdog1981

Reaction score
With the way, college football is played and the limited about of NFL offseason contact the Oline coach is the second most important hire a team can make.

knownone

Reaction score
I know you old guys remember all the chatter back in 2010 about the NFL becoming a passing league and that Pete was crazy for building his team around defense and rushing. Now as 90% of the NFL is leaning heavily on passing and fairly gimmicky offensive principles Pete is once again the outlier.

Seriously, every team in the league has built their defense around smaller athletic guys who can move in space to stop the RPO / Spread offenses. This has literally allowed Pete and John to do what they do best. Finding value in guys the rest of the NFL no longer covets and running a system that attacks the very weakness of the current NFL. We saw it taking shape in 2011 with long physical DBs and now we're seeing it with big physical offensive lineman and an offensive system that wants to run it down your throat so much that you can't physically pass rush because you are so exhausted.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Seymour":21c5rw21 said:
Jimjones0384":21c5rw21 said:

Solari is my new hero.

Because he was lucky enough to have Russell Wilson extend his career here 3+ more years running for his life and making it somehow work. Also because he had Lynch and a strong running game working several years. But always his pass protection has been horrible (which yes I've beat into the ground), and it damn near destroyed Wilson, and this is why the deep seeded dislike for the man (and lost faith in Pete) for 3+ years from me.

Only Tom Cable could take the highest paid Oline in the league and have the #32 ranked pass protection like he did in 2013 when we actually pulled out a SB win.

Was he considered great before he got to Seattle?

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
LMFAO, I just found out Cable played for the University of Idaho...... That explains a lot.

Seymour

Reaction score
Jimjones0384":185ecwki said:
Seymour":185ecwki said:
Jimjones0384":185ecwki said:

Solari is my new hero.

Was he considered great before he got to Seattle?

Good certainly (as an oline coach and highly questionable IMO) by many including Holmgren who was a good offensive coordinator oddly enough. That was before the rule change baffled him into incompetence as mentioned above though.

LickMyNuts

Reaction score
ivotuk":3too0nxd said:
nrayorr":3too0nxd said:
I've noticed and I am very pleased after complaining for many years that Cable needed to be fired. The only change I don't agree with was letting go of Richard for Norton when IMHO Richard was a better DC than Norton.

I have to disagree with you on that point. Richard had lost control of his defense. Probably not his fault, he got stuck with Sheldon Richardson freelancing, Michael Bennett saying and doing what he wanted, and Richard Sherman trying to tear the whole thing down.

But there had to be a change. To someone that the players respect and/or fear.

I agree. Too much hand holding on defense. Sometimes turning over players isn't about talent. It's about attitude.

toffee

Reaction score
HawkNuts":2icb1dct said:
ivotuk":2icb1dct said:
nrayorr":2icb1dct said:
I've noticed and I am very pleased after complaining for many years that Cable needed to be fired. The only change I don't agree with was letting go of Richard for Norton when IMHO Richard was a better DC than Norton.

I have to disagree with you on that point. Richard had lost control of his defense. Probably not his fault, he got stuck with Sheldon Richardson freelancing, Michael Bennett saying and doing what he wanted, and Richard Sherman trying to tear the whole thing down.

I agree. Too much hand holding on defense. Sometimes turning over players isn't about talent. It's about attitude.

Sherm, Bennett, Earl etc etc. were inmates running Richard's asylum, all those drama could be tolerated if the on-field performance was excellent. At this point, 12s should have confidence in our system, or Pete's system, this system is turning rookies, castoffs, into very serviceable if not excellent players.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
toffee":1pnunr4d said:
HawkNuts":1pnunr4d said:
ivotuk":1pnunr4d said:
nrayorr":1pnunr4d said:

Sherm, Bennett, Earl etc etc. were inmates running Richard's asylum, all those drama could be tolerated if the on-field performance was excellent.

And it was. Right up until their final play, nobody was complaining about their performance.

olyfan63

Reaction score
ivotuk":1cx1s4ds said:
nrayorr":1cx1s4ds said:

So totally THIS.

Pete is the architect, and Norton knows the scheme well and has the personality and the fire to get the most out of this crop of players, while taking no shit whatsoever from any of them. Players will do their job within the D or they will get their asses handed to them by Norton.

chris98251

Reaction score
Nortons problem in Oakland was Del Rio, Del Rio has been a good coach but I think they were trying to run two systems at the same time and Norton was sort of handcuffed there.