What If (SB 49)

GemCity

Reaction score
I will counter with the first part of your post with, The Patriots were 31st in goal line defense that year. Also, If you don’t want to run into a loaded box then while in the heck are you passing into one @ your 5th best receiver?

The “2nd and wrong” playcall was dumb on so many levels.
This.

schkoot

Reaction score
In my fantasy ending, RW pitches the ball back and to the right to Lynch who runs laterally and passes back to Russ in the endzone for the TD.

Rainger

Reaction score
What if I pass the blame around and point out that in the 4th quarter , the LOB failed miserably to defend a 10 point lead and were thoroughly bullied by Brady and the Pats . Just sayin. :D
Yes but it all happened after Cliff Averl was taken out of the game with a concussion and J Lane broke his arm earlier leading to a 2nd string corner.

Last edited by a moderator:

SeahawksBMX

Reaction score
Hindsight and all, but since that very night I’ve felt that Chris Matthews should have been lined up on the left side of that play. Pick your poison, Browner. Cover CM and Kearse probably executes the rub properly. Stay on Kearse and RW hits SB49 MVP Chris Matthews — unless the skeleton crew D allows Brady to drive down for the tie/win. That probably ends up being the first overtime Super Bowl.

Damnit. This thread title was basically “You Know Better Than to Click on This” and I did it anyway.

QWERTY

Reaction score
Even if Brady had 40 seconds and timeouts, they would kick game winning field goal. We had no pressure. Avril was out and Jeremy lane? I think

Cyrus12

Reaction score
The right play was to run. They still had a timeout left and could of got pretty on the next one. It was a bad pass to a bad wr who was 5th on the depth chart and Kearse once again didn't do his job. For everything that this team did well during those short years including a legendary defense this is what they will be remembered for which is sad. It should of been back to back wins. The headlines of Russ beating Peyton and Brady in 2 straight years also would of also cemented the ego's legacy. I know people like to blame the D but the lost Avril, Lane, Chanclor was not healthy and Sherman played with one arm. Pete and co. also just got flat out coached by Bill. Lots of blame to go around but the right call was to run. Maybe they didn't want Lynch to win mvp...

sutz

Reaction score
What if we just let this go. It's been almost 10 years.

Shame Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Regardless of the outcome of the game, the demise of the team was its destiny.

Sherm, Earl and Lynch saw to that in their own way. In their minds, they individually became bigger/better than the team, and also, more important to the team's success than did Pete.

That's my take.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The dominos that would have fallen would have been astounding.

Brady would have lost yet another SB. Wilson would be the heir apparent (irony in that trying to keep Lynch from getting shine would have elevated Wilson).

The problems with Wilson getting distracted by offfield projects would have happened sooner.
Brady would no longer be looked at as the greatest of all time.
The LOB would have been historic, and we probably would not have made that stupid trade that shortened Lynch's time here. (He would have made it only one more year though).

We probably go to the next SB, because that was one of the weakest SBs in history. Which means we face and destroy the Broncos again.

The Seahawks become a legacy team and Carroll is elevated to Bill B status.
The LOB implodes, the team goes all in on Wilson (and fails like it did here anyway), and Lynch leaves after that next SB win.
Wilson is elevated to Joe Montana status and we see his merch everywhere, and it becomes a huge issue when he decides not to extend here but to go to another team.
(Rumor from his camp would be he wanted to show he can take 2 teams to the SB to earn the label as the greatest of all time)

That Seahawks team would go down as a legacy team like those Cowboys teams or those Steelers teams. Meanwhile the Patriots are a mere footnote. Brady is looked as washed and not even close to the conversation of greatest QBs ever.