What do you want? Kick Off or Receive First?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
I always want to kick. We make great half-time adjustments, an extra offensive possession in the 2nd half helps our overall game.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Softy and Hugh Millen were just talking about this. They both agreed that if we receive and score then we can play with a lead and when playing with a lead against the falcons, doubt will soon start to creep into their minds. Tons of pressure on the falcons. Maybe receiving and scoring on a long opening drive wouldn't be so bad.

mikeak

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1ptoxe7x said:
I always want to kick. We make great half-time adjustments, an extra offensive possession in the 2nd half helps our overall game.

what if the adjustments are needed on the defensive side and not the offensive side?..........

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
mikeak":1u4q6qjo said:
RolandDeschain":1u4q6qjo said:

what if the adjustments are needed on the defensive side and not the offensive side?..........
Doesn't matter. Like he said, more possessions in the 2nd half is never a bad thing.

kidhawk

Reaction score
mikeak":1aw6m29u said:
RolandDeschain":1aw6m29u said:

Wouldn't an extra offensive possession in the 2nd half also help the defense?

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
kidhawk":pak7bjhd said:

Yep.

It's win-win for us. We're not a team that needs a strong start to win games.

sam1313

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":25jco1mz said:
bestfightstory":25jco1mz said:
I ALWAYS want to kickoff. Except in this game. RECEIVE.

I'm leaning exactly this way. While I almost always want to defer to the second half, I think a fast start against the Falcons makes all the difference in the world.

This is the way I am leaning too. However, I certainly wouldn't be upset if we kicked first.

MidwestHawker

Reaction score
Honestly, I think the first team with the ball is going to score.

I would like that to be us. If we take the lead into the locker room, I don't see us relinquishing it.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Kick off.

If we don't there is always the chance that the Falcons score to end the first half and then score to begin the 2nd half. A potential 14 point swing without even touching the ball.

Cartire

Reaction score
formido":wcqjmxa1 said:
And what if you go three and out on your first drive in a hostile environment. Now, you didn't score, they have HUGE momentum, and you don't get the ball to start the next half.

Kicking off was the right choice last week and it will be again. It is much easier to know what's working on offense after you've had a half to make adjustments.

Possessions later in games are always worth more than possessions earlier in games.

This man is speaking the truth. You should praise him whole heartily. Any other option is false and should defer to this response quoted above.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":1k3pjkd9 said:
Softy and Hugh Millen were just talking about this.

How can Millen be talking with his mouth full of microphone?

travlinhawk

Reaction score
I want us to kick to them because I need to see our D set the tone early. We hold them and it makes a huge statement early, sets up field position and gives us the ball first in the second half. Even if they score first it will give Pete & Gus something to look at right away. I think that plan has worked best for us so far, no?

SoCalSeahawk

Reaction score
Kick it! To three and out ATL on their opening drive and then score would put the crowd on Mute instantly.

mikeak

Reaction score
kidhawk":1ehnwom3 said:
mikeak":1ehnwom3 said:
RolandDeschain":1ehnwom3 said:

If your defense is behind in the first half and need halftime adjustments then you would want to minimize the opponents possessions right?

In my book we have made more halftime adjustments for defense compared to offense...

Timberhawk

Reaction score
A lot of great points for both options. Normally I would say kick. Based on the fact that the Falcons have lost the last three and have all the pressure, our team seems loose, and everyone says if we get up on them they may start to pack it in I say receive. Sure our offense could come out and go three and out, if they do it's another lesson for DangeRuss and he will learn from it. If we score though and run it down their throat like the Skins did to us does anyone here think the Falcons are as mentally tough as we are and will feel like they can come back and make adjustments? The reward for us could be huge esp with all the self doubt this team already has.

Either way go hawks!!

SeaWolv

Reaction score
I would normally say kick off first but not with the Falcons. I want to receive first. If we get up on the Falcons early they will wilt. It will force them out of their game plan early and the pressure will mount as the crowd grows quiet.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Aros":2ki7tr3j said:
I want to kick off, always. Let your defense set the tone earlier. A three-and-out is a huge mental advantage. Even if they fail to stop them from scoring on the opening drive, we still get the ball first in the second half, which is always, always a good thing.

Agreed. Especially on the road in a noisy house.