What are your Seahawks CB power rankings?

Axx

Reaction score
I have never seen this kind of thread for CB's done recently so I'll start it just to see what some of your thoughts are.

I have no idea how the rotation or starting line up will be just like the DE's but just wondering how would you rank the CB's in this team?

-Richard Sherman, the best in the league.

-Brandon Browner, Good at covering the deep ball and short slant routes but gets killed in comeback routes.

-Byron Maxwell, Didn't watch him that much.

-Jeremy Lane, Seemed to show potential covering a aged Randy Moss.

-Walter Thurmond III, Always injured, Never seen him play.

-Antoine Winfield, From what i hear lacks man coverage skills but does well in the zone and is a really good tackler.

-Marcus Trufant, Frustrated by seeing him get burnt by players like Amendola but stepped up in the post season.

How would you power rank these 7 CB's that very well could start on over half the teams in the league.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Sherman
Browner
Winfield
Lane
Thurmond
Maxwell

TBH I don't know much about Maxwell.

Winfield could probably be above browner if not for his age, I'll have to see how he looks.

I really like Lane. I've said it before but to me he is a playmaker ala big play babs jordan babineaux. I remember seeing him in training camp, he was playing his ass off every play to the point that he and some of the other players (tate, lockette) were scrapping a little bit. I liked the fact that he showed a little fire and aggressiveness.

Thurmond is going to have to give me 15 or 16 games at this point.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Sherman
BB
WT3 (if healthy)
Winfield
Lane
Maxwell

It's a shame Thurmond's been injured so much in his young career. If healthy from day 1, I think he'd be the starter, now, even over BB.

Assuming he's healthy, I think he's better than even Winfield because of WT3's great speed and agility. I hope he can come back full strength and with the same confidence as he had going into his 2nd year.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Why do we always say that Sherman is "arguably" the best in the league? I'd love to hear an argument where he's not.

JesterHawk

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":3uuydfba said:
Why do we always say that Sherman is "arguably" the best in the league? I'd love to hear an argument where he's not.

Ditto.

The Outfield

Reaction score
I think WT3 might be as good or better than Browner when healthy. Man, I wish he would stay healthy - both for his sake and our sake.

themunn

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":3zqy2win said:

It's the same argument that has people putting Walter Thurmond as one of the best corners on the team, except of course that Revis has proved it at NFL level time and time again of course.

My power rankings go more something like:

Sherman
Browner

Winfield

Trufant

Lane
Maxwell
Thurmond

The Yugoslavian

Reaction score
Sherman hands down is the best in the game right now.
BB is in the top 20 league wide. And that's backed up by his PFF rating
Winfield is the best nickel back in the league and graded out as the best all around CB (tackling, run support, coverage etc).

Magical secondary. 5 players who have been probowlers or All-Pro in the last 3 years. Unheard of!

Hawks46

Reaction score
Sherman
Browner
Winfield (going off of experience, savvy, durability, and all around play)
Thurmond (when healthy. if not, he's at the bottom)
Lane
Maxwell

Thing is, each has their own strengths and weaknesses.

If you look at game speed, Browner is as fast or faster than Sherman is. Sherman only clocked a 4.5 forty that I've seen published. Browner isn't as agile, so if you get a guy like Harvin who is ungodly quick, accelerates well, and is strong...then he'll give you problems. Browner also has problems with double moves and comebacks. But he's fast...no two ways about it. That play where he caught AP from behind and spotted him a 20+ yard start is evidence. If he gets his hands on you at the line....he erases you. Even guys like Julio Jones had to line up in the slot to get catches when Browner was on him. He was also the best DB we had in run support until we got Winfield.

Sherm is very football intelligent. He knows the routes and formations, so he negates his lack of elite speed with anticipation. He's a master at baiting the QB, and he has great hands. His length and quickness are pretty good as well. The all around package (although Browner is better in run support).

Winfield's scouting report is that he's lost a step on the deep ball but he's still quick enough to handle all the underneath routes, which is fine since he graded out as the top CB in the league against the run (and he has historically good run support numbers).

Thurmond we all know has all the talent and physical skills he needs to be elite, but he just can't stay healthy. It's all there, he just can't put it together.

Lane has shown flashes when he's started; inexperience cost him at times but he's shown he can cover. Also a blossoming ST ace.

Maxwell I don't know enough about; the coaching staff loved his physicality, but the word was he was in trouble of making the roster at the beginning of TC last year.

kearly

Reaction score
1. Sherman: The best in the NFL, IMO.

2. Thurmond: He was sensational in the last few games he was healthy in. He has elite quickness and outstanding ball skills and is a good tackler. Just needs to stay on the field long enough to get noticed.

3. Browner: Browner was better in 2012 than his pro-bowl 2011 season.

4. Winfield: Despite being 5'9" 180, he plays like an elite weakside linebacker at corner. His coverage is good too. His 2012 highlights are a noticeable step down athletically, but he's still a fantastic addition.

5. Lane: He reminds me a lot of a young Trufant with less coverage ability. He's a terrific tackler and gives excellent effort. Great on special teams. Gets beat a lot though. Preferable as a backup.

6. Maxwell: More of a special teams guy than anything else, but Maxwell did seem to take steps forward as a corner last season when pushed into service.

SmokinHawk":3uzkhmbg said:
I'd love to hear an argument where he's not.

Revis' last healthy season was better than Sherman's in terms of QB rating against, IIRC. Charles Tillman had a fantastic 2012 season, he had excellent coverage and led the NFL in interceptions. Sherman gets my vote- since he led the NFL in pass breakups, had 8 interceptions, plays outstanding run defense, and has an elite passer rating against number, but I think Tillman and Revis are close enough that it's a worthy discussion.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":2quscg93 said:

Considering the word "best" is an arbitrary word, you could make a case that quite a few CB's were better than Sherman if you take into account all the stats you can track for the position. Here's a good list that takes into account more than just interceptions and who talks the most crap.

http://wp.advancednflstats.com/defenderstats.php?pos=CB

Am I glad Sherm's on our team? Yes. Is he the "best?" Maybe. Definitely one of the best.

SE174

Reaction score
The Outfield":15qcew9s said:
I think WT3 might be as good or better than Browner when healthy. Man, I wish he would stay healthy - both for his sake and our sake.
Agreed.

Sherm
WTIII (when healthy)
Browner
Winfield
Lane
Maxwell

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
kearly":1lmpvf05 said:
1. Sherman: The best in the NFL, IMO.

2. Thurmond: He was sensational in the last few games he was healthy in. He has elite quickness and outstanding ball skills and is a good tackler. Just needs to stay on the field long enough to get noticed.

3. Browner: Browner was better in 2012 than his pro-bowl 2011 season.

4. Winfield: Despite being 5'9" 180, he plays like an elite weakside linebacker at corner. His coverage is good too. His 2012 highlights are a noticeable step down athletically, but he's still a fantastic addition.

5. Lane: He reminds me a lot of a young Trufant with less coverage ability. He's a terrific tackler and gives excellent effort. Great on special teams. Gets beat a lot though. Preferable as a backup.

6. Maxwell: More of a special teams guy than anything else, but Maxwell did seem to take steps forward as a corner last season when pushed into service.

SmokinHawk":1lmpvf05 said:

Revis' last healthy season was better than Sherman's in terms of QB rating against, IIRC. Charles Tillman had a fantastic 2012 season, he had excellent coverage and led the NFL in interceptions. Sherman gets my vote- since he led the NFL in pass breakups, had 8 interceptions, plays outstanding run defense, and has an elite passer rating against number, but I think Tillman and Revis are close enough that it's a worthy discussion.

Fair points, though it's still safe to say Richard's clearly the best in the NFL, yes?

Tillman's getting old and is likely on the downward slope of his career. You could even see age starting to impact his play towards the latter half of the season when the Bears could no longer lean on their defense to win games down the stretch. At present, he's not quite at Richard's level, but after this season is over I don't think he (Tillman) will be in the ballpark any longer. Due to injury, Revis was statistically absent last season, so in my eyes he sits out of the consideration until he's proven he can play again. Revis could be the best once again but as of right now he has to prove himself all over again.

seahawks875

Reaction score
1. Richard Sherman
2. Antoine Winfield
3. Brandon Browner
4. Jeremy Lane
5. Walter Thurmond III
6. Byron Maxwell

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Sherm, #1 in the league, plain and simple
Winfield (didn't give up a single TD last year)
Browner
Thurmond (if he plays)
Lane
Maxwell

Stoned Cold

Reaction score
The coaches view WT3 the best outside option after Sherman #1, Browner #2. They put WT3 in there when Browner was suspended and that speaks volumes. Yeah he has injury issues but he's still the best man outside after Browner last year. Winfield makes it debatable now.

JGreen79

Reaction score
Stoned Cold":1bkgtkzg said:
The coaches view WT3 the best outside option after Sherman #1, Browner #2. They put WT3 in there when Browner was suspended and that speaks volumes. Yeah he has injury issues but he's still the best man outside after Browner last year. Winfield makes it debatable now.

I disagree about Winfield. I beleive if you were to put Winfield on the outside, he would be the weak point of the defense. At the nickel he is one of the biggest strengths.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
Browner: Capable of beating the crap outta the opposing WR within 5 yards of the LOS.

<That's a real good thing>

CFraychineaud

Reaction score
kearly":p1o5ez5n said:
SmokinHawk":p1o5ez5n said:

The thing I notice when comparing the stats between Tillman and Sherman last year was that Tillman had a lot more help from his pass rush. Pass Rush helps CBs by making QBs make bad decisions, rush throws, disrupt passing lanes, and not give routes time to develop. Out of Chicago's 41 sacks last year 4 of their players had 6 or more sacks. Out of Seattle's 36 sacks, only 2 players had more than 3 sacks. Chicago had pressure coming from all over and it was more consistent. The skewing tilts even further in Chicago's favor if you take out the fluky (come on it wasn't normal) first half of the GB game for Seattle. With only 28 sacks in the other 15 games.

The fact that Sherman was able to put up the numbers he did without the help of pressure shows me that he was statistically the best corner in the league. I will definitely give Tillman his props for all the Forced Fumbles though, and if he is able to do that with MMA quick strike training during the off season... learning to punch the ball out from different positions, it might be something we should look into adding to our defenses regimen.

Latest posts