Weather forecast for Minneapolis.

kearly

Reaction score
It seems like Wilson does fine in cold, dry games. Its wet games that he struggles a bit.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2nx2n2te said:
bmorepunk":2nx2n2te said:
Predicting weather this many days out is about as statistically significant as a random process. Things may change significantly over the week.

Winter here in mnpls is not hard to predict though.

You can bet that prediction is going to be fairly accurate. I'd bet temps in the teens by kickoff, little wind, maybe some sun

December there was 10 degrees above average last month. Over the next six days, if the warm air that is coming in with that snow hangs around a little longer, the Saturday temperature becomes the Sunday temperature.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
This guy summarizes pretty well:

As we’d expect, persistence forecasting performs pretty terribly. If you just take a look at your local weather for the past week, it’s rare for temperatures to follow a linear pattern of rising or falling temperatures for more than a day. Even averaging historical data is consistently off the mark by as much as 7°F. The real winners here are the weather models, which can forecast the correct temperature within 4°F up to 3 days out.

But even weather models have their limitations: Any forecasts more than a week out are going to be less accurate than climatological forecasts on average, which we’ve already established makes for a pretty poor baseline. By a week out, small inaccuracies in the weather models build up exponentially, to the point that the model is predicting temperatures far divorced from reality. This observation leads me to wonder why commercial weather forecasting sites like AccuWeather even bother providing forecasts up to two weeks out, considering we’d be better off just looking at the historical averages at that point.

posting.php?mode=reply&f=2&t=121367

Uncle Si

Reaction score
bmorepunk":qo29vc9b said:
Uncle Si":qo29vc9b said:
bmorepunk":qo29vc9b said:
Predicting weather this many days out is about as statistically significant as a random process. Things may change significantly over the week.

Winter here in mnpls is not hard to predict though.

You can bet that prediction is going to be fairly accurate. I'd bet temps in the teens by kickoff, little wind, maybe some sun

December there was 10 degrees above average last month. Over the next six days, if the warm air that is coming in with that snow hangs around a little longer, the Saturday temperature becomes the Sunday temperature.

Right. And those temps were predicted a week + in advance.

Not using the Farmers Almanac here. Without the threat of much moisture it's pretty easy to predict temps and cold snaps far in advance.

It will be cold...

Uncle Si

Reaction score
bmorepunk":2ayczuiq said:
What is your definition of "cold"?

It will be in the teens

I don't think it impacts the game or our ability to win. Just saying that if the weather report is stating 16 degrees at kickoff it is pretry likely to be close

Maybe the warmer air from the incoming snow lingers, but if you live out here you surely know that cold is easier to predict than snow....

bmorepunk

Reaction score
NWS has Sunday's high down to 7 degrees right now. The models have shifted down 7 degrees in less than a day. By Thursday/Friday it should reasonably predictable.

HawkMark1976

Reaction score
The 2015 Seahawks team played well on the road this year and currently all 3 phases of their game are on fire-this scares the other NFL teams. So it is possible they can win 3 in a row and get to play in Super Bowl in SF. Let us hope no player gets hurt playing on frozen Minnesota turf. :D

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I worry about Pete Carroll's face. Tom Coughlin's face is still red from the NFC Championship in 2007

bmorepunk

Reaction score
NWS models now projecting a high of 1 with 8-9 MPH sustained winds.

Ruminator

Reaction score
bmorepunk":21de4z8r said:

Well... 1 is better than 100.

(Trying to look at the UNFRIGGIN' BELIEVABLY COLD FORECAST in positive light.)

JonRud

Reaction score
bmorepunk":43sj3xec said:

This is insane. Unfortunately this has to have some impact on the game. I hate this weather forecast because it may be an equalizer for Minn. on a neutral field in good weather they can't play with us, but in Arctic temps who knows how the game will be affected.

Re-open the Metrodome!

SkolVikes

Reaction score
Checked the weather this morning, it predicts a temp of 0 degrees with winds at 15 mph with gusts up to 25-30 mph.

endzorn

Reaction score
I work outside in North Dakota. If it's 10 degrees with 5-10 mph wind it'll be a relatively nice day. I'm not a fan of -25F with 20 mph winds.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
Frankly, I do not know how the Hawks can play in 0° weather. The footballs become as hard as a rock and become very difficult to catch. I wonder if they can keep them in a "toaster oven for footballs"?

bmorepunk

Reaction score
JonRud":1ca2hx9f said:
bmorepunk":1ca2hx9f said:

This is insane. Unfortunately this has to have some impact on the game. I hate this weather forecast because it may be an equalizer for Minn. on a neutral field in good weather they can't play with us, but in Arctic temps who knows how the game will be affected.

Re-open the Metrodome!

It's still too far out for a high probability prediction. The temperature could significantly swing back up, or even drop a little. By Friday we'll know something more probable.

kmeleon

Reaction score
JonRud":2mvlqkjl said:
bmorepunk":2mvlqkjl said:

Re-open the Metrodome!

I do believe it helps Minnesota vs our aerial assault but it also hurts them a good bit as well. If it's a pure running game it helps them, AP/Mckinnon vs a just returning Beast Mode/CMike could certainly favor them. But then again, we haven't given up 100yd rusher yet this year and if you take Bridgewater's arm in to account and ability to grip the football they will absolutely have to rely on the run game. We can shut down any run game we've come across without having to stack the box this year. RW's big hands/arm strength certainly helps our ability to at least pass for some positive yardage in this weather but it will be very interesting to see how the weather affects our game plan. Who knows, it might not change a thing for us.

Regardless, we're winning this game. :thirishdrinkers:

timmat

Reaction score
According to the Wikipedia page for the stadium, the field surface is field turf with heating coils underneath. At least we shouldn't be talking about a frozen playing surface.

Latest posts