Weather forecast for Minneapolis.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Umm... Tickets are now only 10 dollars for club seats because...

Screen_Shot_2016_01_05_at_8_13_13_PM.pngjrfa.png

bmorepunk

Reaction score
brimsalabim":kwoh0kmy said:
It's too dangerous to watch football much less play it in -50 degree temps.

It's never been below -30F in that city, much less -50F.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Current NWS model is that it will be 0F when the game starts and get up to 1F then hang there during the game with consistent 9 MPH winds.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
If there is one thing I know, it is that a good scarf cures all in cold weather games.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Silver Hawk":89p3yvfs said:
bmorepunk":89p3yvfs said:
brimsalabim":89p3yvfs said:

Wind chill?
I'm pretty sure it's been -30 F without the wind too.

Silver Hawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":333tk6ae said:
Silver Hawk":333tk6ae said:
bmorepunk":333tk6ae said:
brimsalabim":333tk6ae said:

Wind chill?
I'm pretty sure it's been -30 F without the wind too.

Interesting fact, Fahrenheit and Celsius scales converge at -40. I found that out a few years ago when working in Grande Prairie, Alberta.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Was -20 in the city two years ago. records lows have hit -30+. lowest ever recorded temp is -41...

SkolVikes

Reaction score
Seanhawk":18lv95bt said:
253hawk":18lv95bt said:
Plus, Seattle has been playing outdoors at home for 14 years...this is Minny's first season outside of their Inflata-Dome. At worst, that pretty much cancels out any advantage.

2nd season outdoors.
Plus it's not like the vikings don't play in Chicago and green bay every year.

253hawk

Reaction score
Depends on when those games are scheduled; they usually play CHI and GB on the road in November. Not January.

This weather isn't going to benefit anyone, other than who can better prevent the mistakes caused by it.

Gametime

Reaction score
Saw this comment by a poster on NLF.com.

Anyone know if there is truth to it?

"Ahemm.TCF Bankstadium has 'hydronically' heated turf..Which effectively keeps the turf warm and heats the atmosphere immediatley above the turf. The ball is NOT going to be a stone, and the field will not only be NOT deadly cold, but quite comfortable, as warm as 25 degrees or so.."

253hawk

Reaction score
Well sure, it has heated turf now, only because the Vikings required it before using it as a temp stadium. They installed it just prior to last season. Somewhat similar to what Lambeau uses (can't really call it the frozen tundra any more). It keeps the field from freezing, but not much else.

SkolVikes

Reaction score
The field is heated but I don't think that it is going to raise the temperature 30 degrees around that field.... that is just silly. And I have no idea how it will heat the ball up so much being as the only time the ball touches the heated field is on fumbles and such.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2ge4u4sy said:
Was -20 in the city two years ago. records lows have hit -30+. lowest ever recorded temp is -41...

Correct, I looked at the wrong data before and got -27, the record is -41. Still not -50, the reference to which I don't understand.

Silver Hawk":2ge4u4sy said:
bmorepunk":2ge4u4sy said:
brimsalabim":2ge4u4sy said:

Wind chill?

The lowest official temperature I was in when I lived in Fairbanks was -56, in a stretch of winter in which it didn't get above 20 below for nearly three weeks. I'm pretty sure "wind chill" is a non-Alaskan term for "something that isn't that cold but needs exaggeration".

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Gametime":9j5ecy5g said:
Saw this comment by a poster on NLF.com.

Anyone know if there is truth to it?

"Ahemm.TCF Bankstadium has 'hydronically' heated turf..Which effectively keeps the turf warm and heats the atmosphere immediatley above the turf. The ball is NOT going to be a stone, and the field will not only be NOT deadly cold, but quite comfortable, as warm as 25 degrees or so.."

That soil will sink a very large amount of heat and transfer a lot to the atmosphere. Near the ground it will be warmer, but I couldn't say if 25 degrees would be a reasonable number without doing some really annoying calculations. Even if it were under certain conditions, wind would move the warmer air away faster and it would dump different amounts of heat at different ambient temperatures, even adjusting for the system being adjusted to keep the soil at a certain temperature.

Polaris

Reaction score
SkolVikes":2wtmd2aq said:
The field is heated but I don't think that it is going to raise the temperature 30 degrees around that field.... that is just silly. And I have no idea how it will heat the ball up so much being as the only time the ball touches the heated field is on fumbles and such.

Actually air has a very low specific heat. It doesn't take much energy to heat the air by thirty degrees or even more. Of course the wind becomes even more important since it will tend to blow the heated air away. So yes, in fairly calm conditions, I could easily see a heated field raising the ambient air temperature by that much.

bmorepunk

Reaction score
I dare you to do some calculations, polaris. I refused to get my thermo book out.