We really owe Paul Allen Big

Donn2390

Reaction score
Being that I live 1100 miles from Seattle, and not familiar with the area and local news, how much does PA get involved with the team? I know he is no Jerry Jones, but I don't hear much about him. Is he seen at all the games hiding in his box? He seems to take a very low profile path to the team happenings...?

86Hawk

Reaction score
Yeah he does have a low profile. He will be on the field sometimes before the game and every once in a while you'll get a tweet. I do know that he has his own sweet with his own private elevator in the stadium though. He likes his privacy. Know a guy who works at the clink.

kjreid

Reaction score
NorthwestSportsFan":4t0af8qx said:
And this, my friends, is why Paul Allen should raise the 12th Man flag any time we host an NFCCG. Holmgren tomorrow, Allen next week.
When he raised it at the 2005 NFCCG it was the biggest emotional sports moment I have been at. Pure raw love for that man

irocdave

Reaction score
It's awesome to see a thread like this at this moment. Nice job OP'er. Football in the PNW was packing it's bags and heading south and Paul Allen saved it. PH is a true visionary and should be lauded in the Seattle area. I say this as a Hawk fan #1 but as a resident that makes a living for my family from the construction industry. Vulcan has made an immense impact on the landscape of the south lake union area and the thousands that make their living building. Lets not forget the tens of thousands that now work and live in the same south lake union area that was a waste land prior to Vulcan purchasing the property. For those that think this development diminished the area, PA offered the land up to the city of Seattle as a park with the caveat that the city develop and maintain it. Citizens and politicians ridiculed the offer. It really is amazing to see the outcome of a plan that was put in place and financed by PA a decade ago.

Same thing goes for the Hawks success over the last decade. IIRC, the hiring of PC was a direct influence of PA, same as the hiring of MH. As with any endeavor there will be miss steps, but the one thing that has been consistent is an owner that steps in a provides direction when needed. See punting trader Bob ( Trailblazer fans and early 00 Hawk / Sonic fans know him well) and Timmy Ruskell.

Paul Allen deserves to be mentioned as an elite owner. If the Hawks end this season as we think they should Paul Allen should be acknowledged in the ring of honor. You cant ask for anything more from a local owner of a big three sports franchise. The only other thing I would add is that can you imagine the Hawks if there was no salary cap? Jerry Jones and Eddie DeBartolo? Neither would be household names to NFL fans.

Thank you Paul Allen.

Tokadub

Reaction score
My Uncle is a lawyer you had to give a presentation to some Dreamworks guys like Paul Allen and Steven Spielberg. He said Paul Allen was the biggest D-head ever and super arrogant and difficult to deal with or present too. I guess Paul just gave him a really hard time, or kept interrupting and nitpicking at every little detail or something haha :)

My Uncle is a really chill guy but maybe lawyers just bring out the worst in Paul Allen who knows.

I think it's great he's our owner, but I'm not sure if he's the ideal candidate to sit down and drink a beer and talk some football with.

I mean the guys never been married. That seems a little awkward with that kind of cash lying around. I'd like to think I could easily land some dream babe with even 1/10,000 the amount of money he has... that'd be $1,580,000 (if I didn't screw up my math with so many digits in his account...)

Not saying marriage is necessarily the way to go, especially with all the money grubbing trophy wife wannabes, still seems strange though.

Tokadub

Reaction score
Part of the reason I posted that was because when I first heard about it I was just totally shocked since that story was completely opposite of his reputation.

I just watched this interview of him and it sounds like he's just had a really hard life dealing with an abusive greedy Bill Gates, and he was really sick at one point etc. So I guess that could explain his distaste for dealing with business in a positive attitude when he probably feels like he got screwed big time by Gates "trying to cut him out of the shares" etc. Not too shabby coming out of all that with 15+ billion now.

Sorta interesting interview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IM0SvIiMI4

Jville

Reaction score
Lawyers bring out the worst in a lot of people. LOL