We need big WR's next year.

Bryce84

Reaction score
Whatever we need to do to have Kearse be our 3rd or 4th WR at best is okay in my book. He routinely fails blocking assignments which is why the most successful WR screens we see are the ones where Kearse actually catches it instead of having to block. For his size he should be one of our most physical receivers and failing at the little things like that really sets this offense back having him start. I love the local boy story but this aspect of his game has been beyond frustrating to watch, I won't be upset if he goes elsewhere this offseason.

652cHAWK

Reaction score
Austin Hawk":3983oda0 said:
I agree we need to address receivers in a big way. However, I do think we need to give Chris Matthews some love. He made some good plays today, and seems to have a good physical presence.

Hear, hear!

BullHawk33

Reaction score
I can understand the sentiment about getting a big wide receiver. We could definitely use one, especially since when he's rushed, Russ tends to throw the ball high. That said, we got beat by a cadre of short, quick receivers though that got their separation through scheme, clearing out the zone and running a second receiver in there.

Pete likes "his guys", but they either need to adjust some of the route concepts to better utilize the talent they have like New England does or the receivers need to start doing some things within that concept to free themselves up.

Edelman made Simon look stupid on that in and out move, twice, with the second one for a touchdown. There is no reason our receivers can't do some of that stuff to get open. The Patriot receivers made 1 mill or less each per season this year, so it isn't like they are using highly paid mercenaries to be successful. I would love a big bodied fast receiver but in the end, the OC needs to find a way to use the talent that the players on the roster has to put them in a position to be successful. Maybe that is PRich, Matthews, Willson, Norwood or someone in the draft that can help out more next year after having a year under their belt if the OC can figure out how to better utilize them in our run first offense.

Tical21

Reaction score
A big receiver that can get open would be nice, but I'll take ANY receiver that can beat man coverage. He can be 5'2".

Slow our roll on Matthews. He got shut down pretty easily once Revis and Browner got put on him. The tools are nice, but he has a long way to go before we crown his arse.

original poster

Reaction score
Yeah people are definitely getting ahead of themselves somewhat with Matthews.

I am very, very grateful for his plays in the game but if he played like that in practice week in week one he'd have played regular season as well, which he didn't. Look at Malcolm Smith, MVP then as good as dumped to special teams next season.

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
We've needed big receivers for several years, since we don't have a passing game that is built to create space for our receivers. I'm tired of relying on spectacular plays to keep the ball moving in the air, it'd be nice to have some concepts that manufacture some space for our receivers for once.

But since that isn't going to happen, we absolutely have to go find some guys that make their own space with size.

kidhawk

Reaction score
original poster":2rcey7xi said:
Yeah people are definitely getting ahead of themselves somewhat with Matthews.

I am very, very grateful for his plays in the game but if he played like that in practice week in week one he'd have played regular season as well, which he didn't. Look at Malcolm Smith, MVP then as good as dumped to special teams next season.

First to respond about Smith. He ONLY played in the super bowl last season due to injuries. Right place right time is what got him MVP. He wasn't "dumped" he was just kept the same on the depth chart as he was last year

With Matthews...he was on and off the practice squad this year. It's his first season and it takes time often to develop. It's very possible that he is just starting to get to the point where he is developing into a viable receiver. We won't know until next season, but he's still very young and raw. Lots of room to grow with him.

As for the OP. You ask for Big receivers then say it's because we didn't get any separation. You don't get big receivers for separation. You get a big receiver to do what Sidney Rice used to do, and what Matthews did on Sunday, and that's to be able to get the ball even when you appear to be covered. Big receivers aren't going to get a lot of separation consistently.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
SeatownJay":3b9r7xsx said:
All five of Seattle's active receivers in the Super Bowl were undrafted free agents.
That really needs to be addressed it tells you something not good when your entire WR corps are UDFA's. It would be stupid to give Wilson 17-22M a year without giving him actual weapons to throw to. I do think they may have something in Matthews but like Norwood and Richardson he still needs another year or so to develop to be sure.

Austin Hawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":38lk5djl said:
Please let the Cardinals cut Fitzgerald .. he'd fit the team like a glove.. and hes not a locker room cancer waiting to happen like Percy was.

Please NO! Fitzgerald is a Hall of Famer and a classy guy, but he is way past his prime and will cost too much. I would rather spend that money on CB depth or a TE.

byau

Reaction score
What happened to our tight ends? They are big WR and can muscle a catch. And heck maybe they should double as linebackers to cover Gronk for when the time comes

But per the OP: yes it'd be nice to have a cache of versatile WR on the roster including a big WR. (I agree with those giving Chris Matthews some love)

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Austin Hawk":2tnyl1dl said:
Hasselbeck":2tnyl1dl said:
Please let the Cardinals cut Fitzgerald .. he'd fit the team like a glove.. and hes not a locker room cancer waiting to happen like Percy was.

Please NO! Fitzgerald is a Hall of Famer and a classy guy, but he is way past his prime and will cost too much. I would rather spend that money on CB depth or a TE.

Disagree.. if there is ever a guy on the open market that will take less for a very real shot at a ring, it's Fitzgerald. We have plenty of cap room to give him a short deal to allow him this opportunity.

Unfortunately, I can also see the team that just stole our Lombardi offering that same allure. And he wouldn't have to go to a division rival to do so.

marko358

Reaction score
King Dog":2ax5jp3p said:
I mean no disrespect, but our wr corps is a dumpster fire.

There were a couple of plays on Sunday where Russ had at least 7 or 8 seconds with no pressure and couldn't find a single open receiver. And these were plays with at least 4 guys running routes. Unacceptable.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Vetamur":fv7hyzmf said:
Paul Richardson will be back with a year under his belt, Matthews will be back with a year under HIS belt. Norwood as well. Not saying ignore the position but I dont think its a pressing need. Its not like the Patriots or the Ravens had amazing WRs when they won the Super Bowl.

Im excited to see Richardson and Matthews next year.
I'm not counting on a guy coming off a late season ACL at all.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
SeatownJay":3qms3g1e said:
I think our wideouts next year will be Baldwin, Richardson, Kearse, Norwood, and Matthews. Tight end should be a bigger concern than wide receiver.

This is, of course, assuming we have an OC that knows what they're doing.

If we can also find a kick returner then this plan works for me.

byau

Reaction score
Scottemojo":24abfbcp said:
Vetamur":24abfbcp said:
Paul Richardson will be back with a year under his belt, Matthews will be back with a year under HIS belt. Norwood as well. Not saying ignore the position but I dont think its a pressing need. Its not like the Patriots or the Ravens had amazing WRs when they won the Super Bowl.

Im excited to see Richardson and Matthews next year.
I'm not counting on a guy coming off a late season ACL at all.

Agreed, not sure PRich will be part of the plan next season.

And count me in for wanting Fitzgerald for a season or two. Don't think it'll happen, but a small chance is as good as any.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
IMO we need to use 4 draft picks on WR's/TE's (3 at minimum)

We need to add depth with a BIG WR, and the 2nd one needs to have the ability to return punts, become a depth WR/punt returner combo. Brian Walters was worthless this year and that's the most glaring need from that group.

We also need to add talent and depth at TE, so I'd hope we'd use an early round pick on a TE and come back in the 6th or 7th round on another developmental TE.

Add in 2 offensive lineman and 1 RB, that would be an ideal draft for me. Then the other 3-4 picks would be to add defensive depth.

swagcity21

Reaction score
SeatownJay":3t4tni5m said:
I think our wideouts next year will be Baldwin, Richardson, Kearse, Norwood, and Matthews. Tight end should be a bigger concern than wide receiver.

This is, of course, assuming we have an OC that knows what they're doing.

Kearse is gone and I won't blame the FO if he is. I love Kearse, He's a south sound boy and reps it for us down here. But he only comes in the clutch when its the last possible time. If he could make the amazing catches all game long we probably wouldn't be talking about "pedestrian" WR's. We don't need clutch as much as we need consistent.

I liken Kearse to Darryl Jackson. Decent route runner, but Drops A LOT of balls. give our other guys opportunities. WR corp will be fine.