Next year... (special teams)

GeekHawk

Reaction score
I hope we can add more dynamic punt and kickoff returners (mostly a punt returner, since most kickoffs are touchbacks anyway these days). I'm sick to death of Dallas doing a fair catch, or (<10% of the time it looks like) trying a return and getting 5 yards max. Never ever breaking one and turning a game back to us. I understand he doesn't fumble the catch much, but surely we can find someone who doesn't fumble often, but also can return an occasional punt for a big gain. Lots of other teams can find that person! I think part of the problem may be speed, it doesn't seem like when Dallas does get that opening that he can break away from coverage.

I know it's not as big of a complaint as many here, but special teams are still a big part of the overall picture.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Since you brought up the topic, I have a question for the board. They can do a fair catch 1 to 10 yards out of the endzone in the field of play? I dont understand. Please enlighten me. I figured if they caught it out of the endzone, they had to run it. Hmmm.....

Hawknight

Reaction score
I misunderstood the title. I thought we were now referring to the team as Special Ed's Team..I was ready for next discussion of little yellow buses taking team players for rest of next season if we keep the core coaches and players from this year..my mistake..carry on

renofox

Reaction score
I hope we can add more dynamic punt and kickoff returners (mostly a punt returner, since most kickoffs are touchbacks anyway these days). I'm sick to death of Dallas doing a fair catch, or (<10% of the time it looks like) trying a return and getting 5 yards max. Never ever breaking one and turning a game back to us. I understand he doesn't fumble the catch much, but surely we can find someone who doesn't fumble often, but also can return an occasional punt for a big gain. Lots of other teams can find that person! I think part of the problem may be speed, it doesn't seem like when Dallas does get that opening that he can break away from coverage.

I know it's not as big of a complaint as many here, but special teams are still a big part of the overall picture.
We could use some decent gunners, too. Dickson used to pin 1/2 to 3/4 of his punts inside the 20. Last 2 years it's down to 1/3. He isn't kicking any differently. Gunners never make it down the field and into position to keep the ball out of the endzone.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score

Dallas has been fine. There have only been 6 punt returns for TDS in the league this year. Only one on kickoffs. The rules have really neutered the return game.
DJ Dallas is the 4th leading player in the league in returns this year. Those of you wanting better results in the return game need to quit living under 20th century return rules.

renofox

Reaction score
Dallas has been fine. There have only been 6 punt returns for TDS in the league this year. Only one on kickoffs. The rules have really neutered the return game.
DJ Dallas is the 4th leading player in the league in returns this year. Those of you wanting better results in the return game need to quit living under 20th century return rules.
I was all in on Dallas, especially because of the -0- fumbles lost in his return career.

He lost 2 this year. Next man up.

sutz

Reaction score
Since you brought up the topic, I have a question for the board. They can do a fair catch 1 to 10 yards out of the endzone in the field of play? I dont understand. Please enlighten me. I figured if they caught it out of the endzone, they had to run it. Hmmm.....
It's a new rule this year. They can call for a fair catch inside the 10 (maybe the 20? ) and it's treated like a TB in the endzone. Goes to the 25.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
It's a new rule this year. They can call for a fair catch inside the 10 (maybe the 20? ) and it's treated like a TB in the endzone. Goes to the 25.
Thank you. must be for safety purposes like having Thursday games and games over seas. LOL