We got Jadeveon Clowney !!!

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
CallMeADawg":34gv0j72 said:
[youtube]SDm3fxbjW0A[/youtube]

Lets not forget his dominance vs us either. This is a wicked play.
That play shows how good Clowney is and how shitty Madden is.

Seymour

Reaction score
Well I will step back of the ledge after finding out the Texans are paying $7M of his cost that wasn't revealed until yesterday. That actually will be a good team deal overall IMO. Still don't like losing the 3rd for a high potential 1 year deal, but I suppose that is clearly better than a 2nd and he's not going to be free. I still have health concerns though, but hopefully those are behind him.

Fade

Reaction score
Seymour":3cel8nor said:
Well I will step back of the ledge after finding out the Texans are paying $7M of his cost that wasn't revealed until yesterday. That actually will be a good team deal overall IMO. Still don't like losing the 3rd for a high potential 1 year deal, but I suppose that is clearly better than a 2nd and he's not going to be free. I still have health concerns though, but hopefully those are behind him.
Cconcerned about a 3rd, that they will get right back if he turns into a 1 yrs rental?

Short term the Hawks have a 1st, two 2nds, and a 3rd, in the upcoming 2020 draft.

He has missed 1 game in the last two years.

The Seahawks have a projected $75M in cap space in 2020, 6th most in the league.

raisethe3

Reaction score
Fade":1udpdo7g said:
Seymour":1udpdo7g said:
Cconcerned about a 3rd, that they will get right back if he turns into a 1 yrs rental?

Short term the Hawks have a 1st, two 2nds, and a 3rd, in the upcoming 2020 draft.

The Seahawks have a projected $75M in cap space in 2020, 6th most in the league.

That's insane. But what about Jarran Reed pay day coming up?

Seymour

Reaction score
Fade":1ha1i1wc said:
Seymour":1ha1i1wc said:

No assurance we get it back with 12 positions to fill...see Sheldon Richardson deal.

Looks like you are counting unhatched chickens in cap as well with rollover cash there to me? Too soon to count that also.

The 2020 cap is half the story, the other half is 12 roster position to fill and Reed / Clowney signings would eat up over half of that alone (actual cap free is $65M) and would not improve the team over this seasons roster.

Fade

Reaction score
Seymour":bjpx2ofc said:
Fade":bjpx2ofc said:
Seymour":bjpx2ofc said:

No assurance we get it back with 12 positions to fill...see Sheldon Richardson deal.

Looks like you are counting unhatched chickens in cap as well with rollover cash there to me? Too soon to count that also.

The 2020 cap is half the story, the other half is 12 roster position to fill and Reed / Clowney signings would eat up over half of that alone (actual cap free is $65M) and would not improve the team over this seasons roster.

Cap number is factoring in all team's rollover.

Have a look at Frank Clark's cap number for this year with the Chiefs. its $10M. Players don't have high cap numbers in year 1 Check Kalil Mack's cap number last year, or any big contract for that matter..

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Seymour":10a97puz said:

The entire football world is describing in graphic detail how we took the Texans behind the woodshed with that deal and beat them like a rented mule, and you're still finding ways to say it's a bad deal?

Add up the numbers. We got one of the premier defensive players in the league for what amounts to a third round pick next year and a couple million more than we were going to pay a backup linebacker. And we could still get the pick back if he decides to make this a one-year deal.

But he evidently spurned other offers and pushed things hard enough to force the Texans to deal him here. He wants to be here. He got his dream location on a team with a real shot at the big dance, if not this year, then the next few as well, after he plays his ass off proving he's worth a big paycheck out of it. He's not going anywhere. And even if he did, we're getting a defensive star for what amounts to a Happy Meal™ and some pocket change we found under the couch cushions.

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":1tulcpgo said:
Seymour":1tulcpgo said:

The entire football world is describing in graphic detail how we took the Texans behind the woodshed with that deal and beat them like a rented mule, and you're still finding ways to say it's a bad deal?

Add up the numbers. We got one of the premier defensive players in the league for what amounts to a third round pick next year and a couple million more than we were going to pay a backup linebacker. And we could still get the pick back if he decides to make this a one-year deal.

But he evidently spurned other offers and pushed things hard enough to force the Texans to deal him here. He wants to be here. He got his dream location on a team with a real shot at the big dance, if not this year, then the next few as well, after he plays his ass off proving he's worth a big paycheck out of it. He's not going anywhere. And even if he did, we're getting a defensive star for what amounts to a Happy Meal™ and some pocket change we found under the couch cushions.
A player like Clowney can easily be the difference between being a 9-7 team and being a 11-5 team. It's a game of fine margins and when you can add a player of that quality, the additional pressure on Goff, the extra sack on Garropolo and the disruption to the Cardinals OLine could be the difference between the Seahawks not making the playoffs and between getting a bye.

When you have a great QB and a strong supporting cast, you should always be doing what you can to win the Superbowl and this is what this is - it's not like Wilson and Wagner are still 24 and Carroll is in his late 50s, the time is ticking and you have to be bold to win. The Eagles were a few years ago, they initially signed Jeffery on a one year deal, they signed Blount on a one year deal and look how beneficial they were to what happened. It's going to be this way for the Seahawks going forward, it's a high quality team that can win the Superbowl but unless you have that rare balance, you need to take a gamble to win.

The Seahawks are gambling on THIS year. I don't care about a future third round pick, what sort of guarantee is there with them?! It's absurd. This team is primed to make a run every year until Wilson either gets old or breaks down, and until that point, it's the right thing to do to be aggressive and try to win.

Seymour

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":3hrp7zib said:
Seymour":3hrp7zib said:

Possibly you did not read my post real well??? Let me cut out everything except the answer to your statement for you.

Seymour":3hrp7zib said:
That actually will be a good team deal overall IMO.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
BoltonWanderer":2unyfusc said:
Seahawk Sailor":2unyfusc said:
Seymour":2unyfusc said:

A player like Clowney can easily be the difference between being a 9-7 team and being a 11-5 team. It's a game of fine margins and when you can add a player of that quality, the additional pressure on Goff, the extra sack on Garropolo and the disruption to the Cardinals OLine could be the difference between the Seahawks not making the playoffs and between getting a bye.

When you have a great QB and a strong supporting cast, you should always be doing what you can to win the Superbowl and this is what this is - it's not like Wilson and Wagner are still 24 and Carroll is in his late 50s, the time is ticking and you have to be bold to win. The Eagles were a few years ago, they initially signed Jeffery on a one year deal, they signed Blount on a one year deal and look how beneficial they were to what happened. It's going to be this way for the Seahawks going forward, it's a high quality team that can win the Superbowl but unless you have that rare balance, you need to take a gamble to win.

The Seahawks are gambling on THIS year. I don't care about a future third round pick, what sort of guarantee is there with them?! It's absurd. This team is primed to make a run every year until Wilson either gets old or breaks down, and until that point, it's the right thing to do to be aggressive and try to win.

Off topic but congrats on your team getting saved.

Looked grim

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Seymour":34xu5iwl said:
Seahawk Sailor":34xu5iwl said:

Possibly you did not read my post real well??? Let me cut out everything except the answer to your statement for you.

To be fair, you followed that by registering more concerns

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
BoltonWanderer":3cvq6x6u said:

And a good pass-rush only helps the DBs (and LBers, to an extent) look better. In a game of inches and fractions of a second, better pass-rush on one side frees up more on the other, too.

I'm not predicting a SB year, but we should be competitive against any team in the league, including NFC favorite Saints and Rams.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Seymour":2jgl3let said:
Seahawk Sailor":2jgl3let said:

"...but..."

Still don't like losing the 3rd for a high potential 1 year deal, but I suppose that is clearly better than a 2nd and he's not going to be free. I still have health concerns though, but hopefully those are behind him.

Seems like everything you cut out undermined your begrudging statement that it actually will be a good deal after all. I suppose we do need our .NET Eeyore, even though that position has been filled before.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Ad Hawk":1npjcy5z said:
BoltonWanderer":1npjcy5z said:

And a good pass-rush only helps the DBs (and LBers, to an extent) look better. In a game of inches and fractions of a second, better pass-rush on one side frees up more on the other, too.

I'm not predicting a SB year, but we should be competitive against any team in the league, including NFC favorite Saints and Rams.

Weren't we already competitive against every team in the league last year? Arguably top 4 in the NFC.

This team, on paper, is better.

No reason not to set your sights pretty darn high. 8)

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":31ui6dy9 said:
. . . suppose we do need our .NET Eeyore, even though that position has been filled before.

Blitzer88, white courtesy telephone, please

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Hawkpower":4x9xa2wb said:
Weren't we already competitive against every team in the league last year? Arguably top 4 in the NFC.

This team, on paper, is better.

No reason not to set your sights pretty darn high. 8)

No, I agree with you, but remaining cautiously optimistic. There's a lot of youth on the team right now.

I'm going to be patient and see how our WRs and DBs do, and if our hoped-for pass rush is at least average. Clowney should certainly help with that.

Fade

Reaction score
I luvya Seymour, keep being you. I enjoy reading your posts.

But you need to fall back on this one.

This is no Richardson situation.

On the bright side you can play the " I told you so " card if he gets hurt. So there's that.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Blitzer88":ing2rw8j said:
Ad Hawk":ing2rw8j said:
Seahawk Sailor":ing2rw8j said:
. . . suppose we do need our .NET Eeyore, even though that position has been filled before.

Blitzer88, white courtesy telephone, please

You rang?

:mrgreen: Need help getting Seymour back from the edge, but maybe it's already covered.

Thanks, mate, for responding so quickly.

Seymour

Reaction score
Uncle Si":d48f3et0 said:
Seymour":d48f3et0 said:
Seahawk Sailor":d48f3et0 said:

To be fair, you followed that by registering more concerns

And yet I said it was a good deal also. Listing previous reservation did not change that opinion and his post said I thought it was a bad deal. Did you too miss that? Wrong color possibly? :roll: