We Are Not What Our Record Says We Are

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
If you're not what your record says you are, then where exactly does it say what you really are?

The play on the field? The play on field says the Seahawks are a .500 team at best.

The players play the game but the coaches are equally responsible for the product on the field.

The Seahawks are exactly what their record is. Not the best team, and not the worst.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I see at least a couple games, including this last one, as failure to close. With this one, not even the onside kick, but the last drive.

We are not a bad team, like Raiders bad. We just need to close in the 4q.

hoxrox

Reaction score
I don't see this as a team that go can go into Super Saiyan mode, where they are 100x better than they are, which makes them exactly as their record says they are.

1) The homefield mystique is pretty much gone. When we had some average teams under Holmgren, we still dominated home games.

2) The Houdini come-back-from-behind fourth quarter miracle act is gone.

3) The coaching/play calling has pretty much gotten stale and predictable. I like some of the new wrinkles this season, and I love the smash mouth, impose-your-will, run game as much as the next guy, but that style really needs a top notch defense as others have pointed out. We've whiffed too much in the talent acquisition department in recent off seasons. And while their development is encouraging, it's not where we need to be at this particular point in time to be legit contenders.

4) Wilson, as much as I love what he has done for franchise, has pretty much peaked talent wise. He still throws a sexy deep ball, but there are other times where his play makes me cringe. His fundamentals are lacking and he's not playing as care-free as when he first started. His play is not what I expect from a top tier veteran QB, but maybe it's just my expectations, so don't knock me too much for that. I still like Wilson a lot.

5) This is still a fun and competitive team to watch. They are pretty much in every game. The scheming leaves something to be desired, and they're not bottom feeders, but they simply don't have the make up, to be considered anything better than an average team at this point.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Defense can't stop good teams fact . O-line can't block good defenses fact. Wilson struggles to see over the middle and get the ball out quickly fact. We are what our record says we are.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I am drinking the Kool-Aid when it comes to how much growth we have seen out of this young team. Did any of us expect to be number one in rushing and top 5-6 in defense halfway through the season? I sure as hell didn't.

Still, you can clearly tell this team is going through growing pains. They are good, trying to learn how to be great. That will take another season or two.

If I am to be critical, I would put my attention on Russell and the lack of pass rush. Russell can be so money at times, yet mind-boggingly average - or worse - at crucial times which really bothers me. How much of that is Russ trying to fit into the new Schotty Scheme and how much of that is on Russ just not playing to his potential?

The lack of pass rush is easier to diagnose. We just don't have the horses. We need to draft more pass rushers period. Frank is getting lost out there in double teams and nobody else seems to be stepping up.

Game of inches. We say it every year. We should be 6-3 not 4-5.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
It's been entertaining to watch this year for the most part. Earl going down was a huge turning point for this team. A very tough schedule ahead and I still see the team finishing anywhere from 7-9 to 9-7 depending on health. A few areas to improve on moving fwd but a much better team to watch than last year.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Aros":1vz60re7 said:
I am drinking the Kool-Aid when it comes to how much growth we have seen out of this young team. Did any of us expect to be number one in rushing and top 5-6 in defense halfway through the season? I sure as hell didn't.

Still, you can clearly tell this team is going through growing pains. They are good, trying to learn how to be great. That will take another season or two.

If I am to be critical, I would put my attention on Russell and the lack of pass rush. Russell can be so money at times, yet mind-boggingly average - or worse - at crucial times which really bothers me. How much of that is Russ trying to fit into the new Schotty Scheme and how much of that is on Russ just not playing to his potential?

The lack of pass rush is easier to diagnose. We just don't have the horses. We need to draft more pass rushers period. Frank is getting lost out there in double teams and nobody else seems to be stepping up.

I'll say this when I saw that empty backfield late in the fourth against that pass rush I new it would end horribly that wasn't Wilson's fault .However after every game played this year i'm more and more convinced Wilson is holding back our passing game.

BleuEyedHawk

Reaction score
I agree with most of your comment except the play by Russell Wilson. For the most part, I thought he was pretty good.

He had few great moments (the thread the needle touchdown pass) and the play action to the right sideline (while narrowly escaping).

However, the absence of BJ Fluker allowed Donald and Suh to pressure and sack Wilson in addition to the strip-sack. This didn't look good on Russell.

Just like a tripod is off balance if missing a leg, the O-line needed Fluker. If he had played, then maybe the story would read differently.

Remember the last time we played the Rams, Fluker 'Pancaked Suh'? He was able to neutralize two dominant players.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
BleuEyedHawk":g57z0uub said:
I agree with most of your comment except the play by Russell Wilson. For the most part, I thought he was pretty good.

He had few great moments (the thread the needle touchdown pass) and the play action to the right sideline (while narrowly escaping).

However, the absence of BJ Fluker allowed Donald and Suh to pressure and sack Wilson in addition to the strip-sack. This didn't look good on Russell.

Just like a tripod is off balance if missing a leg, the O-line needed Fluker. If he had played, then maybe the story would read differently.

Remember the last time we played the Rams, Fluker 'Pancaked Suh'? He was able to neutralize two dominant players.

Mmmm....Look, everybody knows I am a huge Russ fan, (fanboy some would say and I could give a rip), I think the world of him as both a player and human being. But if we are being perfectly honest, I would say Russ is off this year. Not horribly off, but off. Yes he will still have his 200+ yards passing and 2-3 TD average per game but it's the critical errors at the most critical times that has my attention.

His pocket presence is terrible when it comes to the pass rush. It's one step, two steps, three steps, four steps...OH SHIT!

SACK.

It gets old. What happened to the Russ of old that would diagnose a play, get out of trouble and make positive yards out of nothing? That was his forte man! It just feels and looks like he is thinking too much instead of reacting and using his God-given ability to make magic out of nothing.

I love Russ. I still want to pay the man top dollar. But he needs to step up and be that player we all know he is.

mrt144

Reaction score
This does feel like a 4-5 team to me though. Like, beat some scrubs, come up short against good teams. I'd be kinda mad if I thought they were just flat out bad or playing way below their level.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":1cccixyh said:
Aros":1cccixyh said:

I'll say this when I saw that empty backfield late in the fourth against that pass rush I new it would end horribly that wasn't Wilson's fault .However after every game played this year i'm more and more convinced Wilson is holding back our passing game.

Holding back our passing game? In a new offense that he's learning after 7 years? You do also realize he changes run plays at the line of scrimmage, and defenses still account for him, hence a large part of the offense's success?

I understand that there's more of a microscope in Wilson's limited opportunities, but he's making efficient and tight window throws in this offense. Seems a bit over the top and overly critical. Especially since we're losing to teams so far that are way more talented from top to bottom. Your logic sounds like basically, Russell has to play perfect to be considered "good"

Every high fly offense in this league has a lot of what we don't. Wilson and Tyler Lockett for that matter are impressive in this offense in the sense that they only get about 20 attempts a game

Scorpion05

Reaction score
Aros":2r7p58bb said:
BleuEyedHawk":2r7p58bb said:

Mmmm....Look, everybody knows I am a huge Russ fan, (fanboy some would say and I could give a rip), I think the world of him as both a player and human being. But if we are being perfectly honest, I would say Russ is off this year. Not horribly off, but off. Yes he will still have his 200+ yards passing and 2-3 TD average per game but it's the critical errors at the most critical times that has my attention.

His pocket presence is terrible when it comes to the pass rush. It's one step, two steps, three steps, four steps...OH SHIT!

SACK.

It gets old. What happened to the Russ of old that would diagnose a play, get out of trouble and make positive yards out of nothing? That was his forte man! It just feels and looks like he is thinking too much instead of reacting and using his God-given ability to make magic out of nothing.

I love Russ. I still want to pay the man top dollar. But he needs to step up and be that player we all know he is.

Fair opinion however, I'm willing to be that if you time his sacks today, he was not given much to work with. On the strip sack fumble, Fowler beat Brown in 2.6 seconds. In other words, Russ looks in that moment like a QB that lacks presence when really he was trying to get rid of the ball quickly while hanging in the pocket.

Other than that, in a low pass volume offense where EVERY throw is focused on, I think Wilson is doing about as well as most QBs would do, especially in a new offense. I don't know if he's off, I just don't think he looks completely comfortable yet

LTH

Reaction score
Aros":29in2drv said:
4-5.

Nope. I refuse to accept that paradigm. Yes we are 4-5 but this team is not a 4-5 team. I totally get if you disagree and I have no dog in this fight so take your argument elsewhere...

This is a scrappy, YOUNG team learning to find their way. It's maddening at times. They are capable of greatness, yet capable of dog crap on the same breath.

Today's game's lost is due to the defense and Russell Wilson. Would love to hear other's thoughts.

I agree with what you are saying only I have a different take...I think the Hawks are just not making the clutch plays when it counts... I'm reminded of Kerse...That guy always found a way to get open and Wilson always found a way to get him the ball in a critical situation... That's not happening this year this is apparent in everyone of their losses...

Im not discouraged in this loss... This team can play with anyone in the NFL...If they just keep working hard and believing they are going to bust lose...If This team makes the playoffs watch out! the way I see it, they can afford to lose one maybe 2 more... This is a championship run... If they can just make the playoffs they will be tough to beat because of this schedule.. I'll say it again this is a championship run...

LTH

Crizilla

Reaction score
Aros":8imjdsbe said:
4-5.
They are capable of greatness, yet capable of dog crap on the same breath.

So 4-5 sounds about right then. Gotcha.

OP
OP
AROS

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Crizilla":zccd89fc said:
Aros":zccd89fc said:
4-5.
They are capable of greatness, yet capable of dog crap on the same breath.

So 4-5 sounds about right then. Gotcha.

Nope.

kf3339

Reaction score
chris98251":3r2aksbw said:
Aros":3r2aksbw said:
4-5.

Nope. I refuse to accept that paradigm. Yes we are 4-5 but this team is not a 4-5 team. I totally get if you disagree and I have no dog in this fight so take your argument elsewhere...

This is a scrappy, YOUNG team learning to find their way. It's maddening at times. They are capable of greatness, yet capable of dog crap on the same breath.

Today's game's lost is due to the defense and Russell Wilson. Would love to hear other's thoughts.

I have said it before I have no expectations this year other then to see us improve and grow as the season progresses.

Growth happens differently week to week, we saw Simmons get his first start and I never heard his name against a Division opponent that wanted to play pissed off and aggressive.

That's a great thing, no news is good news for a O lineman and it shows we are gaining depth there, Penny Broke out this game with more carries and is over a 100 yards.

We went to a hostile environment and played the number one offense in the league to a stalemate up to that onside kick, ( still scratching my head on that)

We need a few more horses on defense, more time for the offense to gel and be expanded a bit, and the young guys to believe they can win anywhere at any time.

It will come, I see a lot of good, they never quit all day long.

:ditto:

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1c55cpj8 said:
pittpnthrs":1c55cpj8 said:
4-5 is exactly who we are so far. We cant beat a good team yet and its going to take a year or so.

Yeah

Id say its closer to "we are better than the record... or better than many thought"

But the team is 4-5 for good reasons.

Im encouraged but still no idea what to expect heading into next week or next year

I'm actually optimistic for the future. While the team is missing a few pieces that enable them to hit that next level, it appears they might be on the cusp.

Some of those coaching decisions though,,,,,,,urgh.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Aros":12jp9dn6 said:
BleuEyedHawk":12jp9dn6 said:

SACK.

I dont see much difference. He is just slower and game film has been out on his escape plans. Im shocked on how much people have switched on Russ as a player. He has been consistent for the most part as a qb minus his running.

We had the D and RB before Russ and our offense PPG was 23rd. Russ is a top 10 qb. He has cost us a cpl games this yr but today wasnt one of em.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
I think with another pass rusher and Kendrick back the team is 6-3 rn at worse. Im excited for rest of yr and next yr.