Walter Thurmond substance abuse suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
I am going to start this post by stating emphatically that I am not supporting WT# in is suspension. That being said, if it is marijuana, then the fact that it is legal in his state of residence should have some effect on this. But if it is illegal for NFL players to use, then so be it. It just doesn't seem to me that it is all that cut and dried. Maybe some legal eagle could clear this up.

The fact that we don't really know what he tested positive for makes me actually go in another direction. With his injury history the past few years, I am more than sure that he has had numerous prescriptions for pain controlling meds. Please note that these drugs are highly addictive! My wife had to deal with pain meds for a couple of years and ended up in out patient rehab to control the addiction that took over her brain. You may call an addicted person a "druggie" if you like, but it really isn't a fair interpretation to the hell that the individual and family is put through. I won't go into all of the chemical responses that the brain goes through while a person becomes addicted. Just know that addiction is a disease that is not controllable by the person that has to deal with it. If you simplistically think about something that you have done and wished you hadn't later and realized that you really had no control over your decision to to make the best choice, then that is essentially what an addicted person deals with daily in regards to their substance of choice.

If this is the reason why he was suspended, then as caring human beings and fans, we need to look at this as equivalent to nothing more than an injury. If WT3 is truly dealing with addiction, then he has no more control over that than if he blew out a knee. If this is the case, then my thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1a2abp7w said:
Unfortunate judgment on the part of WT3, but let's calm down on the desire to annex him out of the city.

No, because this rash of suspensions needs to stop. Players taking accountability for themselves and each other clearly hasn't solved the problem. Maybe making an example of Thurmond by cutting his dumb ass will.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
Double sucks for me, #1 I love Thurmond, he's a very good corner and probably the only one that can play great on the outside and stay on the field to play nickle.

#2, selfishly, I have him on my IDP team and when Browner was out I added him and he has had 2 huge games in a row. :(

Hope this report is either bogus or the suspension is shortened to 2 games so we can get him back soon.

Lane era in the slot, who is the dime DB now?

el capitan

Reaction score
Some of these guys are so insanely dumb, he's gonna jeopardize his chance at a Superbowl ring and a fat contract next season over a bag of weed.

I hope they just cut him now, he can't contribute anymore to our quest for the no.1 seed and BB should be back for the playoffs.

What a retard.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
12th_Bob":26j6vlzm said:
Double sucks for me, #1 I love Thurmond, he's a very good corner and probably the only one that can play great on the outside and stay on the field to play nickle.

#2, selfishly, I have him on my IDP team and when Browner was out I added him and he has had 2 huge games in a row. :(

Hope this report is either bogus or the suspension is shortened to 2 games so we can get him back soon.

Lane era in the slot, who is the dime DB now?

Lane played slot last year at times and the preseason. I suspect they do it again. Winfield?

AbsolutNET

Reaction score
Wow, in less than one game a big portion of the field got immensely weaker. No more islands on that side, going to be up to our pass rush even more now and restrict Earl a bit.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
AbsolutNET":38fpjlgt said:
Wow, in less than one game a big portion of the field got immensely weaker. No more islands on that side, going to be up to our pass rush even more now and restrict Earl a bit.

Perfect timing with Brees and Graham coming to town.

dfjasdfiojasfdasjiopdfasdf.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if he developed an opiate addiction with all of his injuries and rehab.

Seaswab

Reaction score
Lane and Maxwell were burned by christian ponder last week so theres that

bestfightstory

Reaction score
mjwhitay":5ut33jxb said:
Get off your high horses. Everyone. Keep blaming Pete. Loose ship. No control. Hasn't drilled it into their heads. Yeah, I'm sure that's accurate. When things like this happen, .Net turns into a JOKE. Go outside and get some fresh air or something.

Your view from the HIGHEST of all horses is impeccable. :th2thumbs:

Exittium

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":39g0pizr said:
I am going to start this post by stating emphatically that I am not supporting WT# in is suspension. That being said, if it is marijuana, then the fact that it is legal in his state of residence should have some effect on this. But if it is illegal for NFL players to use, then so be it. It just doesn't seem to me that it is all that cut and dried. Maybe some legal eagle could clear this up.

The fact that we don't really know what he tested positive for makes me actually go in another direction. With his injury history the past few years, I am more than sure that he has had numerous prescriptions for pain controlling meds. Please note that these drugs are highly addictive! My wife had to deal with pain meds for a couple of years and ended up in out patient rehab to control the addiction that took over her brain. You may call an addicted person a "druggie" if you like, but it really isn't a fair interpretation to the hell that the individual and family is put through. I won't go into all of the chemical responses that the brain goes through while a person becomes addicted. Just know that addiction is a disease that is not controllable by the person that has to deal with it. If you simplistically think about something that you have done and wished you hadn't later and realized that you really had no control over your decision to to make the best choice, then that is essentially what an addicted person deals with daily in regards to their substance of choice.

If this is the reason why he was suspended, then as caring human beings and fans, we need to look at this as equivalent to nothing more than an injury. If WT3 is truly dealing with addiction, then he has no more control over that than if he blew out a knee. If this is the case, then my thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

I'll agree to this as a possibility, (As I to had a sibling go through the same thing). But the only way to go up as well is to hit rock bottom, and that rock bottom IMO should be a swift kick out the door. Anything less would prob be a media frenzy, as it stands right now, we're only seeing the light shine out on whats recently happened, and its only a matter of time before the media blows it up more then, well admittedly us here at .net

warden

Reaction score
IF the reports are true and this is a non PED offense, then this would be Thurmonds second offense. It is very rare for the fan to even hear about the first offense

Exittium

Reaction score
You all know whats ironic.. his twitter phrase below is pic "GET MORE. It isn't just a saying, its a way of Life. The key component is DISCIPLINE. If you don't have discipline you can never GET MORE..."

Throwdown

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":2atn9gak said:
*sigh*

I was having such a good football weekend, too.

This is really too damn bad that it happens before the Saints game. Sure wish the NFL would have done this back in Week Five...

inhale, exhale!

We don't need it from you right now lol.

C-Dub

Reaction score
Axx":2x5u2dmd said:
C-Dub":2x5u2dmd said:
getnasty":2x5u2dmd said:
How is this or any other Pete Carrolls fault? The only thing Pete can do is cut guys for failing drug test. They're grown men, be upset with them not Pete.
Pete creates the atmosphere the team lives in. A loose ship means players feel like they can do whatever they want. Since most of these guys aren't the sharpest tools in the shed, it's pretty obvious shit like this will happen. There's a reason this doesn't happen to other teams.

"Loose ships" dont have the best record in the nfl.

you guys make it sound like pete is thrilled that his players get busted
Obviously they can. 10-1. Best in the NFL!

Status
Not open for further replies.