Vikings trying to trade WR Patterson

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
This rumor has already been categorically shot down by multiple Vikings sources, as well as CP's agent.

jkitsune

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":34zqj7c0 said:
It'd be ironic to get Patterson, seeing as he was the next coming of Christ everyone around here complained about should have drafted instead of getting Harvin.

Can we trade the 6th from the Jets for him?

Hawks46

Reaction score
SPOHAWK":syn303es said:
The 4th we got for Max if we had to.

Whoo, damn good thing you're not our GM. :thirishdrinkers:

A 4th round pick for a WR that can't learn an offense and runs terrible routes ? Be lucky if they got a 6th from me.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":343znw89 said:
He's an atrocious receiver who can't be trusted to run even basic routes.

As a kick returner? One of the best.

True, but he is a special talent if used properly. when he was hitting all strides the year before, he was taking snaps out of the backfield, running wheel routes, getting hand offs, lining up in the slot and running that jet sweep. For whatever reason (MN radio claims it was his unwillingness to take direction and criticism) the offense changed from that and he was left out.

Worth a risk as another option at this point. Guy is an athlete.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2ve9dnju said:
theENGLISHseahawk":2ve9dnju said:

True, but he is a special talent if used properly. when he was hitting all strides the year before, he was taking snaps out of the backfield, running wheel routes, getting hand offs, lining up in the slot and running that jet sweep. For whatever reason (MN radio claims it was his unwillingness to take direction and criticism) the offense changed from that and he was left out.

Remember when we ran all those plays? I doubt we would force feed Patterson as much, but our offense was incapable of sustaining both cute and tough styles.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1cvbk6e8 said:
Uncle Si":1cvbk6e8 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":1cvbk6e8 said:

Remember when we ran all those plays? I doubt we would force feed Patterson as much, but our offense was incapable of sustaining both cute and tough styles.

Its not force feeding, but just more of an option. Patterson and Harvin are very different players. Patterson is a big, big man. Maybe not as fast.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2ip2lg2g said:
Scottemojo":2ip2lg2g said:
Uncle Si":2ip2lg2g said:
theENGLISHseahawk":2ip2lg2g said:

Its not force feeding, but just more of an option. Patterson and Harvin are very different players. Patterson is a big, big man. Maybe not as fast.
Patterson has serious talent. But also seems unlike most of the Pete Carroll era pass catchers in the gray matter area.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":19szykuf said:

Yeah he's basically Teddy Ginn redux.

Drafted way too high because of his athleticism and his purported ability to fill multiple roles, but ultimately a just a return guy because he's actually not that good of a football player.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Maybe the guy needs the right environment. I mean I know we say that alot, and maybe too often. But Minnesota has been a mess for some time. Unstable, negative, disorganized. Tough for a young player to make (and then continue to make) an impact.

Not an excuse, but in Patterson's short time there he has seen: 5 different starting QBs. 2 coaches. 2 OC's. 5 different starting RBs (which has greatly altered the offense Minnesota wants to run).

He just hasn't adapted. Surely his fault. But maybe a change to stability is what is needed?

No idea, but for a low draft pick? Why not?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3rfv0xyt said:
theENGLISHseahawk":3rfv0xyt said:

Drafted way too high because of his athleticism and his purported ability to fill multiple roles, but ultimately a just a return guy because he's actually not that good of a football player.

Well that's just not true.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Uncle Si":ryk2to8a said:
Popeyejones":ryk2to8a said:
theENGLISHseahawk":ryk2to8a said:

Well that's just not true.

Not true about Ginn or not true about Patterson?

If Patterson, you can make all the team related excuses you want, but his skillset should make him more immune to those types of problems than most other players. That's particularly true for players, like I dunno, a 7th round nobody WR like Charles Johnson, who's actually excelling in the exact same environment you're giving Patterson a pass for.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I'm giving him a pass? How so? I'm not a Vikings fan.

Patterson has already proven himself to be a good football player, on a number of occasions. Why he fell off the face of the earth in 2014 is anyone's guess. I don't think he's done.

Charles Johnson was a nice surprise for them. But 31 catches for 400 or so yards is not "excelling". It was a nice surprise, but let's not overstate its relevance here. And while Johnson is doing well in the current "environment"... its the only environment he's known. Patterson has been through the ringer with the Vikings the last 2 years. Johnson basically took the field with Bridgewater as his QB and Norv as his OC. He hasn't had Ponder, Cassel, Freeman. Johnson catches passes from one QB, in one OC's offense.

These are excuses? (like where I said it was his fault not adjusting) Or just a simple way of looking at the player and the team. The Vikings have been a mess, especially in terms of offensive consistency and stability. Patterson doesn't get a free pass. But none of their offensive players who transitioned from the 2013 to the 2014 squads have adapted well.

Is there no pattern there?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^ Fair enough.

We might just disagree on him.

The one thing I'd disagree with though is we DO know why he "fell off the face of the earth," as it has been explained: he couldn't learn the offense. In his time in Minnesota he's shown all of the traits that eveyone already knew about him before he was drafted: he's a raw athlete, he's a poor route runner, he has inconsistent hands, he has trouble learning the offense.

None of this stuff about him was new or out of the blue.

Personally, I see him as a very physically talented gadget player of the sort that regularly seems to be over-drafted to much fan excitement, while ultimately leading to disappointment. It's the Ted Ginns and Tayvon Austins of the world. That's Patterson's lane IMO, but clearly we disagree and admittedly are both just guessing at how his career ends up.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Patterson is all sequins and touchdown dances. No dawg in him. In addition to not learning routes, he is one of those receivers with no throttle. Which is fine at kick returner. But sucks at WR. Same goes for Austin and Harvin, to an extent. They have no patience to set up their speed.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2r4t4boo said:
^^^ Fair enough.

We might just disagree on him.

The one thing I'd disagree with though is we DO know why he "fell off the face of the earth," as it has been explained: he couldn't learn the offense. In his time in Minnesota he's shown all of the traits that eveyone already knew about him before he was drafted: he's a raw athlete, he's a poor route runner, he has inconsistent hands, he has trouble learning the offense.

None of this stuff about him was new or out of the blue.

Personally, I see him as a very physically talented gadget player of the sort that regularly seems to be over-drafted to much fan excitement, while ultimately leading to disappointment. It's the Ted Ginns and Tayvon Austins of the world. That's Patterson's lane IMO, but clearly we disagree and admittedly are both just guessing at how his career ends up.

I wouldn't say we are disagreeing too much. I've no idea what his true level is. I just know (having to watch Vikings football living here) that, at times, he was the best player on the field for the Vikings. He started the year strong enough. In his rookie year though, he had some games where he was simply unstoppable.

The issue with him not getting on the field this year was perplexing, and maybe not as much about "not learning the offense" and more about "not willing to take criticism"

Again, when the season started, he exploded for 100 yards in rushing, plus 3 catches. Next game vs. the Patriots he had 4 catches for close to 60, but not a single rush. He had 4 for 61 against the Saints in TBW first game. But only 1 rush. Why the sudden change in dynamics? Maybe TBW's offense just doesn't suit his play? No idea. Either way, he didn't adjust, his return game became negligent and got phased out.

he never recovered, and I think the change in offense threw him. His fault for not adjusting, but I think there was more there than just "not learning the offense"... Maybe thats what makes a gadget player.

Be interesting to see what happens with him.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Scottemojo":8rwv0pzc said:
he is one of those receivers with no throttle. Which is fine at kick returner. But sucks at WR. Same goes for Austin and Harvin, to an extent. They have no patience to set up their speed.

Clearly no patience, throttle, or "dawg"...

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/...-vs-Rams/a860be9a-4eac-445b-b3fa-e6532de4b242

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/...wn-Catch/62191b7d-4bc9-4fd4-91e9-6ef0b83a4093

Again, no idea where things went downhill for him. maybe the change in QB changed the offense where he was less effective.

But the guy is ridiculous when the ball is in his hands.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1zilzgg7 said:
Scottemojo":1zilzgg7 said:
he is one of those receivers with no throttle. Which is fine at kick returner. But sucks at WR. Same goes for Austin and Harvin, to an extent. They have no patience to set up their speed.

Clearly no patience, throttle, or "dawg"...

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/...-vs-Rams/a860be9a-4eac-445b-b3fa-e6532de4b242

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/...wn-Catch/62191b7d-4bc9-4fd4-91e9-6ef0b83a4093

Again, no idea where things went downhill for him. maybe the change in QB changed the offense where he was less effective.

But the guy is ridiculous when the ball is in his hands.
Agreed. Like Harvin could be. But only rarely was.

Like Harvin, I just get the impression from Patterson that he can't be told anything.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
It seems to be his undoing in Minnesota, according to the local sports guys. Maybe he just got tired of being told what to do from all the different coaches and QBs? A move for him would be interesting. Does it unlock his potential or confirm his inability to treat his craft like a profession?