Vernon Davis not participating in OTAs

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":ewfdtqcf said:
Apparently the RG, Boone, is also not at OTAs, wants more money as well.

Meanwhile, the Seahawks have managed to keep all their best players, signing them to extended contracts before they even hit free agency.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Sourdough #49":3u81owvo said:
Laloosh":3u81owvo said:
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 37s
More
#49ers TE Vernon Davis is staying away from OTAs because he wants a new deal with 2 years left (as @MaioccoCSN said). Top 3 paid at his spot

By the way, the #49ers have known about Vernon Davis’ desire for a new contract for a while, at least back in February. Not news to them.
2:41 PM - 29 May 2014
This makes me laugh. Niner fans breathing a big sigh of relief because the front office knew VD wants a new deal. So?

Vernon Davis just dropped a 200,000 bonus to miss OTAs. Who cares what the front office knew, Davis just escalated the dispute. That bonus was in the deal to reduce the chances of a holdout. Which means Davis just pushed 200K into the middle of the table, gambling he will get that 200K plus a whole lot more. Either that, or Davis hates practice so much he will pay to skip it. And we know it isn't that.

2 players went pre-emptive on the Niners, trying to grab some coin before Kaepernick gets his big pay day. If not everybody gets what he wants, that locker room could be interesting.

lvnginhwktwn

Reaction score
Throwdown":2v3wqxvy said:
Sourdough #49":2v3wqxvy said:
Laloosh":2v3wqxvy said:
More
#49ers TE Vernon Davis is staying away from OTAs because he wants a new deal with 2 years left (as @MaioccoCSN said). Top 3 paid at his spot

By the way, the #49ers have known about Vernon Davis’ desire for a new contract for a while, at least back in February. Not news to them.

And they don't respect the man enough to try and work something out? Class organization right there.

Don't think this is the case, if he gets away with it what kind of message would that send? I would think that any team including the Hawks would not allow one of their players to bully them. And for Davis to throw away 200K is ridiculous, hell if you don't care about the money, do the OTAs and donate the money.

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
The Niners knew all about this and just like the Seahawks have a plan in place an will stick to it. They have extended and spent alot of money for there young players. The Hawks are doin the exact same thing. Extending there young talent and will be making the same decisions in 3 years when the short but good contracts are about to be up. They just like the rest of the league will have to make tough decisions. The hawks lost some good players this year and extended the future talent they identified to be invaluable. There is no denying that the NIners system works and works well. We were terrible for the better part of 10 years until this regime changed everything from the way they think to the way they do contracts. You cant pay everyone which is why they took 12 young players in the draft. This is the NFL we live in now. You will pay Russel next year and will have an enormous amount of money committed to your top players. Its delusional to think they wont be making very tough decisions in the near future.

Front7vLOB

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":3ouq6vq3 said:
Scottemojo":3ouq6vq3 said:
Apparently the RG, Boone, is also not at OTAs, wants more money as well.

Meanwhile, the Seahawks have managed to keep all their best players, signing them to extended contracts before they even hit free agency.
You have no idea what you are talking about...

Boone was an UDFA. 49ers gave him a sizable contract after it was apparent he could be a starting guard in this league. Fortunately for the 49ers and Boone (and, ironically, kinda unfortunate), Boone has proven to be a ProBowl level Guard. Iupati's contract is up after this season. Boone and his agent know that the 49ers can only offer one a contract. So, rather than waiting till next offseason when Iupati might be resigned, Boone wants to get that extension ASAP.

This has nothing to do with the FO not being up to par with the Seahawks. The 49ers are actually more proven than the Seahawks when it comes to locking up their own players... See: Joe Staley, Anthony Davis, Navrrow Bowman, Tramaine Brock, Ray McDonald, Ahmad Brooks, etc.

I get your post was mostly a senseless dig at the 49ers, but you sound like you have no idea what the hell you are talking about

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Yes they've known he wants more money or out of the NYC west since his concussion cleared from being Kamtracked.

The irony is all the webzine predictions yhat Sherman and Thomas would hold out for contracts so nice we won't be able to resign them. Doh.

Truth is VD will be 32 if he waits and likely won't get as good of a contract so now is his best chance. Doesn't change that I'm loving it.

Front7vLOB

Reaction score
RichNhansom":1bq8them said:
The irony is all the webzine predictions yhat Sherman and Thomas would hold out for contracts so nice we won't be able to resign them. Doh.

Truth is VD will be 32 if he waits and likely won't get as good of a contract so now is his best chance. Doesn't change that I'm loving it.

The Seahawks gave Sherman and Thomas the highest paid contracts at their respective positions, why would they hold out? (yes, I know Haden got more)

I agree about your point on Vernon though

Throwdown

Reaction score
lvnginhwktwn":1dyu4ca0 said:
Throwdown":1dyu4ca0 said:
Sourdough #49":1dyu4ca0 said:
Laloosh":1dyu4ca0 said:
More

And they don't respect the man enough to try and work something out? Class organization right there.

Don't think this is the case, if he gets away with it what kind of message would that send? I would think that any team including the Hawks would not allow one of their players to bully them. And for Davis to throw away 200K is ridiculous, hell if you don't care about the money, do the OTAs and donate the money.

If they knew back in February, why did they just sit there and let this fester then? It didn't have to get to this point.

Marvin49

Reaction score
hawknation2014":3rr7quag said:
The Niners are imploding before our eyes.

Who's next? Staley is severely underpaid.

oh please.

Just players (and agents) who see a huge expansion of the cap coming and want a piece of it. I highly doubt Vernons gets his wish BTW and I'll bet he shows up when it becomes mandatory. He' about the teams 6th or 7th priority right now because he already has a 2 year deal that makes him the 3rd highest paid player at his position in the league.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Throwdown":3o7852n1 said:
Sourdough #49":3o7852n1 said:
Laloosh":3o7852n1 said:
More

Nice spin.

He's already the 3rd highest paid TE in the NFL behind Gronk and Witten.

Free Agents they have to sign:

Kaep
Crabtree
Iupati
Alex Boone is also asking for more money (and he deserves it)

Vernons problem is that he signed a front loaded contract and he's making "only" about 5 mil now...but he was paid up front.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
The more 49er discontent and animosity directed against their own players for asking for more money . . . the better.

3783720-lol.gif

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Not sure how Niners fans can stomach this. I empathize with them. Davis brings up his numbers while SF had zero receivers and no TE depth and now tries to cash in before proving it on a full strength offense. Continues to play like a mouse versus SF's biggest rival.

If a similar situation happened in Seattle, it would get real ugly around here.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":2nchdpgu said:
Vernon Davis will be playing and he will get his coin. He is a bad-ass that just has a real serious Kamtrack allergy.

To be fair, he continues to go up against the Kam-track.

He loses every time, but he tries, God bless him.

RedAlice

Reaction score
Marvin love.

I know all of you are diehard Hawk fans, but it really is rare that you get a fan from another team who not only reads all of your homerisms, but also pretty much objectively posts about his own loved team.

I just wanted to point that out.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":32yxrtof said:
loafoftatupu":32yxrtof said:
Vernon Davis will be playing and he will get his coin. He is a bad-ass that just has a real serious Kamtrack allergy.

To be fair, he continues to go up against the Kam-track.

He loses every time, but he tries, God bless him.

You have to respect a guy that puts in extra work. In this case, working on his ability to take a hit from Kam Chancellor.

This happened the week following the second 'hawks game. Right back at it, perfecting that craft.
vernon.gif

DAP. DAP.

Front7vLOB

Reaction score
DavidSeven":bphhoxp0 said:
Not sure how Niners fans can stomach this. I empathize with them. Davis brings up his numbers while SF had zero receivers and no TE depth and now tries to cash in before proving it on a full strength offense. Continues to play like a mouse versus SF's biggest rival.

If a similar situation happened in Seattle, it would get real ugly around here.
He broke the TD record for TEs only a couple seasons ago. Don't act like last season was his only stellar year.

And, to be honest, nobody on the 49ers even remembers the Kam Chancellor hit on Davis. It's football. Hits happen all the time. Trust me, the 49ers have just a hard hitting defense. Only difference is, our fanbase doesn't go around believing other players are scared of Patrick Willis or Navrrow Bowman.

Front7vLOB

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":1a0au3vd said:
And, to be honest, nobody on the 49ers even remembers the Kam Chancellor hit on Davis. It's football. Hits happen all the time. Trust me, the 49ers have just a hard hitting defense. Only difference is, our fanbase doesn't go around believing other players are scared of Patrick Willis or Navrrow Bowman.

Then they aren't paying attention because other NFL players ARE scared of Willis and Bowman...
Sure, but those players that might be intimidated by Willis and Bowman aren't a complete liability on the field like people are suggesting Davis is against the Seahawks.