Vernon Davis not participating in OTAs

JZ#1

Reaction score
The 49ers are going to have a decent amount of player turnover in the next few years. Its pretty much expected that one or both of Iupati and Crabtree won't be back. They drafted Brandon Thomas who tore his ACL working out with his Saints, otherwise he would of been a high pick. He will likely step in to replace Iupati. Crabtree is a toss up. I think he won't be back and he is less a necessity to them since they signed Stevie Johnson. Several players are getting up there in age and will be on the wrong side of 30 when their contract is up. I am not saying the 49ers won't remain good, just it will be much more challenging for them to stay good and replenish then the Seahawks. Their best players are further along in their life cycle. This is why you saw the 49ers make so many draft picks instead of trading up for one player. They need to replenish and retool. They will still have good young talent but its not likely they will keep all this elite talent.

Kaepernick will cost a good amount of salary cap so the future success of the organization relies on his continued development and the development of the run game.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Vernon Davis will be playing and he will get his coin. He is a bad-ass that just has a real serious Kamtrack allergy.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Sourdough #49":aoch2mzv said:
Laloosh":aoch2mzv said:
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 37s
More
#49ers TE Vernon Davis is staying away from OTAs because he wants a new deal with 2 years left (as @MaioccoCSN said). Top 3 paid at his spot

By the way, the #49ers have known about Vernon Davis’ desire for a new contract for a while, at least back in February. Not news to them.
2:41 PM - 29 May 2014

Of course they have, I doubt it is even a big deal to them whether or not VD is in OTAs. It won't matter come training camp.

Sourdough #49

Reaction score
JZ#1":1vwzulq4 said:
The 49ers are going to have a decent amount of player turnover in the next few years. Its pretty much expected that one or both of Iupati and Crabtree won't be back. They drafted Brandon Thomas who tore his ACL working out with his Saints, otherwise he would of been a high pick. He will likely step in to replace Iupati. Crabtree is a toss up. I think he won't be back and he is less a necessity to them since they signed Stevie Johnson. Several players are getting up there in age and will be on the wrong side of 30 when their contract is up. I am not saying the 49ers won't remain good, just it will be much more challenging for them to stay good and replenish then the Seahawks. Their best players are further along in their life cycle. This is why you saw the 49ers make so many draft picks instead of trading up for one player. They need to replenish and retool. They will still have good young talent but its not likely they will keep all this elite talent.

Kaepernick will cost a good amount of salary cap so the future success of the organization relies on his continued development and the development of the run game.

I would not be shocked if Iupati, Crabtree, J. Smith and Gore were no longer with the 49ers next season. I won't shed a tear when Crabs leaves as he and Iupati will both command big bucks. Quite honestly I don't know how we will replace Crabtree and shortly after Boldin. As far as replacing Iupati, we have a few options like Martin, Kilgore, Looney, and as you mentioned Thomas. If Tank Carradine shows something special he may be the one to take J. Smith spot next season. Gore is slowing down but is still a great blocker and knows how to find the seams. I expect Hunter and Gore early in the season with perhaps a late season showing of Hyde. Heck Hunter may not be back next season if Lattimore can return to some of his previous form. I am hoping Smith and Gore get to retire on top with rings. We just have to manage to get through the toughest division in the league before we can have a chance for that to happen.

Sherman4Prez

Reaction score
First post!

Lots of underlying disfunction from the top of the Niners FO and trickling to the players. However, Niners will win a lot of games due to their talent. In the tight NFCW, it could make all the difference. Here's to the fall of the Niners. :)

Sac

Reaction score
Funny thing about all that Niner "talent". It was stockpiled from years of sucking and drafting early. Schneider is a baws.

Sherman4Prez

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":gzw8v3yo said:
Funny thing about all that Niner "talent". It was stockpiled from years of sucking and drafting early. Schneider is a baws.

That's about to catch up with them, too. They won't be able to pay them all in the near future. Guys starting to cry who are under contract is the last thing they need. :thirishdrinkers:

lvnginhwktwn

Reaction score
JZ#1":1358dl9j said:

Is this opinion of a Hawks or 49ers fan?

rlkats

Reaction score
The Niners are beginning to experience why it sucks to be a loaded team that wins a lot if games. Bottom line is the NFL if getting greedy more and more the game is played and the better the player gets. Vernon does indeed deserve a better contract. So does Boone, Crabtree, Iupati, etc. but the fact of the matter is with the salary cap no team can hord these players forever.

Developing young talent is a prime way to get new youth and talent. I wish the Niners did this better. One thing that gets me bugged is when a player signs a CONTRACT then bitches when he hates it and wants another one. Sorry Vernon and Boone play your contract then get another.

lvnginhwktwn

Reaction score
rlkats":dchnv1l2 said:
The Niners are beginning to experience why it sucks to be a loaded team that wins a lot if games. Bottom line is the NFL if getting greedy more and more the game is played and the better the player gets. Vernon does indeed deserve a better contract. So does Boone, Crabtree, Iupati, etc. but the fact of the matter is with the salary cap no team can hord these players forever.

Developing young talent is a prime way to get new youth and talent. I wish the Niners did this better. One thing that gets me bugged is when a player signs a CONTRACT then bitches when he hates it and wants another one. Sorry Vernon and Boone play your contract then get another.

This.

That's why they are called contracts. Such it up and get to work, you're still getting paid millions to play football.

HAWKAMANIA

Reaction score
I think Vernon realizes that his best seasons are behind him. He knows that his targets will dwindle with a healthy Mediocre receiver, and other young "talent". Plus he has to be worrying about all the money that's going to be spent on other players in the next year, soon there won't be anything left for his extension.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
He's already one of the few highest-paid tight ends in the league. This reeks of greed. Give me a break. I'd be annoyed with any Seahawk that did this under the same circumstances. (Top 3 in pay @ his position with two years remaining.)

hawknation2014

Reaction score
michael-jackson-thriller-eating-popcorn.gif

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
lvnginhwktwn":15bwg1pj said:
JZ#1":15bwg1pj said:

Is this opinion of a Hawks or 49ers fan?

u9a4yvy6.jpg

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
The thing about Davis is that he really is a talented TE, has speed and can catch. But it didn't happen nearly as early as it should have. When drafted, Niner fans expected impact immediately. He gave them early physicality, but he wasn't performing at the level so many thought he would.

It did finally happen for him, but I didn't really consider him a threat until 2011. I actually felt that Walker was more productive at times. So now he is a fantastic TE, but the guy is in his 9th season. It was like the Niners got half of a career from him. He knows the team's situation with the cap and if he wants to play on a team with a shot he is going to need to back off for now.

It's just OTAs, but damn Vernon.. you could at least wait until there is one year left. Maybe he just wants to skip OTAs, but if this is about money it won't sit right with the Niners needing to sign Kaeperstank.

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
He basically threw $200k into the fire. He's not going to get more out of them right now.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Sourdough #49":33n8wtvg said:
Laloosh":33n8wtvg said:
More
#49ers TE Vernon Davis is staying away from OTAs because he wants a new deal with 2 years left (as @MaioccoCSN said). Top 3 paid at his spot

By the way, the #49ers have known about Vernon Davis’ desire for a new contract for a while, at least back in February. Not news to them.
2:41 PM - 29 May 2014

And they don't respect the man enough to try and work something out? Class organization right there.