Venting my frustrations on the Long Snapper situation

gowazzu02

Reaction score
kf3339":1g3thmx6 said:
Makes perfect sense Ivotuk, which is why PC won't make that move IMO.

It's not the first time PC has made stupid moves that have cost this team. I could list plenty from personnel to game planning where his stubborn ways have costs this team games we should have won.

It is just his nature to think he is smarter than every other person when it comes to football. Some will debate that statement, but I could care less.

We lost a second straight Super Bowl because of decisions made specifically by PC. Who does that? Only someone with such a big ego, no one else can get in his head to say he is wrong.

JS won't do it. PA won't do it. So who?

Nope, it's not going to happen. Just wait and see.

Who dude, the hottest of hot takes! LOL

"his stubborn ways" have gotten this franchise to a level of sustained success that the organization has only previously DREAMED about.

"He stubbornly" started the rookie at QB who was too short to play in the league despite the fact they just gave Flynn a dumptruck load of money.

"He stubbornly" found a converted WR in the 5th round and a guy playing in Canada and transitioned how the NFL looks at playing the corner back position.

"He stubbornly" got everything possible out of a malcontent rb who was basically thrown away from Buffalo

I literally could go on and on and on and on But it really doesn't matter, you have a bug up your butt for PC for some reason and no logic or reason will change that. How's that for a hot take?

kf3339

Reaction score
Aros":2uos60or said:
kf3339":2uos60or said:
Makes perfect sense Ivotuk, which is why PC won't make that move IMO.

It's not the first time PC has made stupid moves that have cost this team. I could list plenty from personnel to game planning where his stubborn ways have costs this team games we should have won.

It is just his nature to think he is smarter than every other person when it comes to football. Some will debate that statement, but I could care less.

We lost a second straight Super Bowl because of decisions made specifically by PC. Who does that? Only someone with such a big ego, no one else can get in his head to say he is wrong.

JS won't do it. PA won't do it. So who?

Nope, it's not going to happen. Just wait and see.

That's a touch salty. What, is he your neighbor and steals your morning paper? :p

All great coaches have ego and Pete is no exception but I certainly don't believe it governs his every thought or move. The consensus suggests that it was Bevell that called that fateful play and Pete took the bullet for him after the game. Pete's not perfect but I definitely do not believe he has some out of control ego that corrupts otherwise sound decision making.

Yep, thought about it later and I was a little too hard on him. So sorry all.

But I still thinking letting Gresham go for that little of monetary difference made no sense at all. I remember well what happened with Darche, and the aftermath. I don't want to go there again over a bad long snapper.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
If in fact long snapper is really actually a problem the team has more than a few options. Besides Gresham who must have pee'd in someone's cereal, there will be a few optionsfrom cuts the guys who are here and street FAs.

Somehow, I think Pete is making a statement to the present guy, "don't screw up anymore, you will be replaced". I don't know if Frese is an improvement over Gresham, but he is cheaper, and perhaps doesn't have the baggage Gresham had in speaking candidly to the media and not in all ways protecting the team. I suspect some issue caused the inability of Gresham to reach a deal with the team even though I believe he wanted to stay. Maybe he'll be back and maybe not

Sterlinghawk

Reaction score
I understand all the worry but I like the idea of somebody stepping up to accept greatness the way Pete coaches his players to do. A blown game is not a foregone conclusion. Maybe we find our next great LS for the next 5 years. I'll bet Clint stays ready, but hopefully we won't need to bring him back.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Makes the Webb signing so much worse (if it wasn't already completely terrible to begin with). The hand wringing over a small amount of cap space for a very underappreciated position to fit in a terrible signing of a garbage OL who probably won't make the roster at this point is just poor management, which is strange given our FO.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":23zm5r0t said:
Makes the Webb signing so much worse (if it wasn't already completely terrible to begin with). The hand wringing over a small amount of cap space for a very underappreciated position to fit in a terrible signing of a garbage OL who probably won't make the roster at this point is just poor management, which is strange given our FO.

Yeah, you make a great point on Webb. I touched on it in my earlier post, but this is salary cap football. Gresh might "only net us like 400K, but since he's a vet and his minimum goes up each year, the team is taking a shot to save that 400k.

This org isn't perfect or infallible. (Cary Williams) and now looks like Webb may have been a mistake. But he still can make something of it. hopefully.

nwgamer

Reaction score
jammerhawk":38joee18 said:
If in fact long snapper is really actually a problem the team has more than a few options. Besides Gresham who must have pee'd in someone's cereal, there will be a few optionsfrom cuts the guys who are here and street FAs.

Somehow, I think Pete is making a statement to the present guy, "don't screw up anymore, you will be replaced". I don't know if Frese is an improvement over Gresham, but he is cheaper, and perhaps doesn't have the baggage Gresham had in speaking candidly to the media and not in all ways protecting the team. I suspect some issue caused the inability of Gresham to reach a deal with the team even though I believe he wanted to stay. Maybe he'll be back and maybe not

Gresham DID get a new three year contract in May of 2015. Then was released in Mar of 16. Something caused the turnaround. That's not to say that he won't return or whatever, just that I think its peculiar they seem to have had a change of thought before 16 even really started. Although it could have been just a quick way to free up money for free agency this year, it confused me in March when I heard the news of the release.

xgeoff

Reaction score
justafan":2zcs2ith said:
Sounds like first world problems to me.

Makes me think of South Park...

Stan: “Dad, did you draw dicks all over my friends face?”

Randy: “Did I check his privilege? Yes. I had some refreshments and I checked your friend’s privilege. Dicks on your face is a very first world problem.”

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
I just hope that we don't lose Jon Ryan or Stephen Hauschka to a season ending injury brought on by a bargain basement long snapper.

Seafan

Reaction score
I've been thinking about this and there is this: it's possible the Hawks wait until September 12th to bring back Gresham. If he signs after the first week his contract won't be guaranteed and if he screws up during the season they can part with him and not owe him the rest of his salary. Frese has PS eligibility. Something to think about.

That is also something the Hawks may be considering with Browner. Moving one of their young guys to the practice squad after week one and signing Browner on the 12th.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Not gonna bother to find the link but Pete said today that Frese has an injured shoulder that has contributed to his problems. Didn't really get word on if that injury is expected to be healed up by the start of the season or not.

chris98251

Reaction score
HawkGA":lk3zme0c said:
Not gonna bother to find the link but Pete said today that Frese has an injured shoulder that has contributed to his problems. Didn't really get word on if that injury is expected to be healed up by the start of the season or not.

I think this is coach speak, you don't cut your long time snapper to have a guy that's injured play, he has been botching snaps since first pre season game.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Pete did say he's been injured for a few weeks, and wanted to see what he could do without the shoulder injury.

He also dropped a nugget that I think will answer some questions about what's going on at the position. Pete said that the new LS had 5 ST tackles in 2 games, and that was unheard of from the LS position. And they were excited about that.

Basically on ST, most teams worry about the snap so bad, that you're getting smaller and less athletic guys to snap. As long as the snaps are good, everything else can slide. The NFL has actually made a few rules about it, to where you can't hit the LS anymore.

I think Pete is upping the ante. He's going uber competitive and wants to increase the production and coverage ability from the LS position. He doesn't want just a LS, he wants an active ST player that makes an impact, AND is a LS.

I also see KPL trying out long snapping as more of a way to keep him on the roster. KPL is a pretty good ST player, but a disappointment at LBer.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
chris98251":1qu0guwc said:
HawkGA":1qu0guwc said:

I think this is coach speak, you don't cut your long time snapper to have a guy that's injured play, he has been botching snaps since first pre season game.

The presser sounded like the injury occurred on the first snap of the first game of preseason. Not sure if true since, you know, coach speak.