(unreal) Sherman is a 49er

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
I understand Sherm's biz decisions. But I am very sad.

Sherm's outburst at the NFCCG 2013 is what made me interested in him and thus football and thus my decision to research teams and thus pick one.

It'll be painful seeing him play in local games, I admit. But I made my decision and am sticking by it.

GO HAWKS.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
rlkats":h97b8ta4 said:
Uncle Si":h97b8ta4 said:
Coug_Hawk08":h97b8ta4 said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/SI_PeterKing/status/973043961634832385[/tweet]

If he himself is using that term, getting back at the hawks was clearly the number one goal.

Sherman can do one.

Hawks, PC/JS gave him everything. If he wants to act like a scorned ex then go on.

While I have no problems with him signing wherever he wants.. trying to rub it in the faces of the team and fans that helped him become the figure he is won’t bear well for his legacy. Maybe that doesn’t matter to him.

That is exactly the part of Sherman I don’t care for. Hopefully he doesn’t go crazy.

Remember that he is still from Stanford with a communications degree. As long as he keeps his mouth in the game, his salesmanship will gather him enough money to put food on the table. LOL. He will sell himself as hard as he can and using a rivalry type atmosphere will be what makes him make more on Jersey sales than anything. Anything else is just fluff. rlkats....you got this thread correct. Good luck with him.

cymatica

Reaction score
Getting rid of big egos and distractions will make this team better when it's all said and done. Stay young on D, get experienced on O

Popeyejones

Reaction score
People should read the actual article and quote rather than responding to the click bait word.

It's here: https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/03/12/richa ... peter-king

THREE THINGS YOU HAVE TO KNOW BEFORE CLAIMING SHERMAN IS JUST VENGEFUL OR SIGNED WITH THE 49ERS TO GET BACK AT THE SEAHAWKS:

1) Before signing with San Francisco Sherman called John Schneider and asked them to match the offer so he could stay in Seattle. Schneider declined.

2) Sherman also contacted all the other teams who had expressed interest in him and all of them said they were unwilling to match the 49ers offer.

2) The context of that quote, and the full quote:

“We had something no other team could offer,” Lynch said.

What?

“The ability to play Seattle twice a year,” Lynch said.

When that was relayed to Sherman, he paused for a second.

Sherman said: “I’m vengeful in that way.”

That’s what it sounded like. But I wanted to make sure. I asked him to repeat that.

“Vengeful,” Sherman said. “I love the fan base to death, and I loved playing there. It was such a great opportunity. I helped the organization get to a great place and stay there. But now it’s like I abandoned them. People are out there burning my jersey. Come on. I’m not the one who let me go. They let me go. I didn’t abandon anybody.

In total: Sherman is pissed about being cut, yes, and he's also pissed that some Hawks fans have turned on him because he was cut. Despite having been cut, he also expressed a lot of love for the Hawks' fanbase, still tried to use the 9ers offer to get back to the Hawks, and also did his due diligence to make sure nobody else would match or exceed the offer on the table.

Biscanebay12

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3nvozrud said:
People should read the actual article and quote rather than responding to the click bait word.

It's here: https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/03/12/richa ... peter-king

THREE THINGS YOU HAVE TO KNOW BEFORE CLAIMING SHERMAN IS JUST VENGEFUL OR SIGNED WITH THE 49ERS TO GET BACK AT THE SEAHAWKS:

1) Before signing with San Francisco Sherman called John Schneider and asked them to match the offer so he could stay in Seattle. Schneider declined.

2) Sherman also contacted all the other teams who had expressed interest in him and all of them said they were unwilling to match the 49ers offer.

2) The context of that quote, and the full quote:

“We had something no other team could offer,” Lynch said.

What?

“The ability to play Seattle twice a year,” Lynch said.

When that was relayed to Sherman, he paused for a second.

Sherman said: “I’m vengeful in that way.”

That’s what it sounded like. But I wanted to make sure. I asked him to repeat that.

“Vengeful,” Sherman said. “I love the fan base to death, and I loved playing there. It was such a great opportunity. I helped the organization get to a great place and stay there. But now it’s like I abandoned them. People are out there burning my jersey. Come on. I’m not the one who let me go. They let me go. I didn’t abandon anybody.

In total: Sherman is pissed about being cut, yes, and he's also pissed that some Hawks fans have turned on him because he was cut. Despite having been cut, he also expressed a lot of love for the Hawks' fanbase, still tried to use the 9ers offer to get back to the Hawks, and also did his due diligence to make sure nobody else would match or exceed the offer on the table.

Sherman played the 49ers with a chip on his shoulder starting in the Harbaugh years, if you recall he was mad because Harbaugh didn't draft him. Look at what he did with that anger and how he channeled it. Now just imagine him channeling that energy against the Hawks team that let him go. Not going to be fun to watch twice a year.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Statistics show Sherman didn't decline. He even tweeted the stats out. Now he is saying he signed with niners to be vengeful. People loved Sherman is why. I did. I love Russ. I love ppl who play for my team. Sherman will be running his mouth all year @ Seattle. Be prepared.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
There's a very good change the Seahawks are not facing him twice a year.

Remember, Sherman is coming off a significant injury. I think folks are preparing for the same player that put Crabtree and Kaep in his pocket back in 2013 to do the same to Baldwin and RW.

That guy had two good achilles and was 5 years and 100s of NFL plays ago.

Sure.. his stats didn't decline. That was before the injury(ies)

good luck to him.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
After reading the article fully - meh, Sherman's using some fan reactions to motivate him; no Seahawks fan should hold his vengeful comment against him, IMO.

SixSeahawk

Reaction score
He's gonna eat the Hawks alive.

Gonna be fun to watch him play as it always is.

Bunch of weenies in here talking about "HE SAID VENGEFUL! THAT'S NOT NICE! AT MY JOB, WE'RE ALWAYS POLITE AND NICE! WHY AREN'T FOOTBALL PLAYERS LIKE US?!"

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":30u0pzoj said:
After reading the article fully - meh, Sherman's using some fan reactions to motivate him; no Seahawks fan should hold his vengeful comment against him, IMO.

I very much agree.

I'm sure the opportunity to play Seattle figured into the decision in some small way, but Sherman is anything but an idiot.

SF just made a ton of sense on so many levels.

1) Young team on the upswing.
2) Young QB with potential.
3) Defense that plays the same scheme.
4) He knows the area having gone to Stanford.
5) One of the more liberal owners in the NFL whom has supported his players speaking out and kneeling during anthem.
6) Most importantly, a team willing to give him big incentives for Pro Bowl level play.

The fact that its a rival? Thats just the NFL. Ken Norton went to SF from Dallas. Deion went first to SF from ATL and then to Dallas. Haley went to Dallas from SF.

Its just the way of the NFL.

I will never understand those who hate a guy for making a living after their team lets him go...

...and this is coming from a guy who wholeheartedly admits he HATED Richard Sherman. That hate softened quite a bit tho as the Niners began to suck hard, the rivalry diminished, and I found myself on the same side as Sherman on most political issues.

I've also always kinda thought that Shermans issues aren't as much with the 49ers (tho obviously a hated rival) as much as they were with Harbaugh and Crabtree individually. You guys can tell me though if I'm wrong in that regard.

Still tho...gonna take ALOT of getting used to. I am NOT expecting the same Richard Sherman as he was before the injury. That would be unrealistic...but I think he was certainly worth the risk.

PEACE.

Marvin49

Reaction score
FYI...

Matt Maiocco@MaioccoNBCS
Sherman said the presence of Jimmy Garoppolo was a “huge part” of this. He saw Garoppolo show poise, leadership and earn the respect of his #49ers teammates.

Marvin49

Reaction score
David Lombardi@LombardiHimself
Sherman discussed the Garoppolo/Shanahan combo as being lethal. He said that Shanahan shocked Seattle with “2 or 3 concepts we’ve never seen. We never had answers outside of bastardizations of our defense."

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Marvin49":5ibq5odd said:
SF just made a ton of sense on so many levels.

1) Young team on the upswing.
2) Young QB with potential.
3) Defense that plays the same scheme.
4) He knows the area having gone to Stanford.
5) One of the more liberal owners in the NFL whom has supported his players speaking out and kneeling during anthem.
6) Most importantly, a team willing to give him big incentives for Pro Bowl level play.

Absolutely agreed, but don't forget #7 (which should probably be #1):

SF offered him a contract that the other three teams interested in him told him they wouldn't match.

You kinda capture that in #6, but all this other stuff is just what put the 9ers in the conversation to begin with, whereas from King's piece we know he did due diligence and took an offer that nobody else (the Seahawks included) would match.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Marvin49":2ci5pywb said:
Sherman discussed the Garoppolo/Shanahan combo as being lethal. He said that Shanahan shocked Seattle with “2 or 3 concepts we’ve never seen. We never had answers outside of bastardizations of our defense."

Yawn...

"Hey.. my new team is awesome. I'm so glad to be here."

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
The very reason we loved Sherman was that attitude.

I have no doubt he is going to talk tremendous ISH about Wilson and the Seahawks, and how his defense propped up this team for years.

He is wired that way. He would probably take less money just to rub it in our face 2x a year. But that is what made him great. He does not just shirk from confrontation, he seeks it out.

I have nothing but respect and admiration for how he built himself into one of the great CBs to ever play the game.

And this will allow him to show he can do this without Earl Thomas, that it was not just that the others around him made him great. When you do it on multiple teams, you show that it was you not the framework you played in. If he comes even close to Pro Bowl play even half the year, it is a win for him.

And JS had a chance to match, a primarily incentive based contract, but he declined. So I am not sure what people up here are upset with Sherman about.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":18pyfszx said:
And JS had a chance to match, a primarily incentive based contract, but he declined. So I am not sure what people up here are upset with Sherman about.

Really?

You can't fathom why Seahawks fans are upset that Sherman, after all the good and bad that he is brought into the limelight of this franchise in the last 2 years, is running his mouth even more?

Are you trolling Seahawks fans or just purposefully ignoring how divisive he has been?

Marvin49

Reaction score
Uncle Si":mmutzmhk said:
Marvin49":mmutzmhk said:

Yawn...

Wasn't implying more than that...just interesting quote.

Marvin49

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":2i26hoxu said:
The very reason we loved Sherman was that attitude.

I have no doubt he is going to talk tremendous ISH about Wilson and the Seahawks, and how his defense propped up this team for years.

He is wired that way. He would probably take less money just to rub it in our face 2x a year. But that is what made him great. He does not just shirk from confrontation, he seeks it out.

I have nothing but respect and admiration for how he built himself into one of the great CBs to ever play the game.

And this will allow him to show he can do this without Earl Thomas, that it was not just that the others around him made him great. When you do it on multiple teams, you show that it was you not the framework you played in. If he comes even close to Pro Bowl play even half the year, it is a win for him.

...the bolded is my biggest takeaway.

In order to still be upset with Sherman you have to tell yourself that a player should accept less pay out of loyalty to a franchise that just fired you.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Marvin49":160tmq2z said:
Uncle Si":160tmq2z said:
Marvin49":160tmq2z said:

Yawn...

Wasn't implying more than that...just interesting quote.

It's really not. It's more of the same from Sherman. Been his personality from the day he stepped onto the field for the first time with the Seahawks.