Tyler Lockett

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
RiverDog":2aw53a0f said:
Along another note, I'm wondering why Lockett dropped as far as he did. He was the nation's top kick returner and the Big 12's leader in receiving yardage. He has a really impressive college resume, so it's not like he flew under the radar. Anyone know the knock on him? It's probably a good thing we traded up to snag him.
I wouldn't say he dropped at all. He was projected to go in rounds 3-4... and we picked him at #69 overall, which was the 5th pick in the 3rd round.

Here's a pre-draft write-up on him... http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/ ... id=2552430

I should add that drafting big, fast WRs is currently sexier than drafting fast smurfs.

Lockett was extremely productive in college so I expect the same in the NFL.

kearly

Reaction score
Obviously Lockett is nothing like Jordy Nelson, but I think both are capable of turning a step on a defender into a catch and run 60 yard TD. I know Russell hates throwing over the middle, but about half of Lockett's college highlights were inside the hashes. For me, I'm really interested to see how Lockett can mesh in our passing attack. Our passing attack is generally short stuff and long bombs down the sideline, but not much over the middle.

netskier

Reaction score
Based on this post and on the scouting report above it, is there any reason not to plug him in to our outside passing attack? I suspect his quickness-generating separation will more than compensate for his lack of height outside, and he will be a constant threat to go over the middle.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
jammerhawk":39dal2i4 said:
Let us now hopefully see how he is as a WR, initial impressions are however exciting as heck.

It would not surprise me that Pete will keep this ability "under wraps" during the Pre-season. We will need something "special" when we open against the Rams and Green Bay.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
kearly":343uf338 said:
Obviously Lockett is nothing like Jordy Nelson, but I think both are capable of turning a step on a defender into a catch and run 60 yard TD. I know Russell hates throwing over the middle, but about half of Lockett's college highlights were inside the hashes. For me, I'm really interested to see how Lockett can mesh in our passing attack. Our passing attack is generally short stuff and long bombs down the sideline, but not much over the middle.

But maybe he doesn't hate it and maybe this entire time he hasn't really had anyone that could consistently get open over the middle.

Our two biggest additions on offense this year were guys that can work the middle of the field. Have a feeling this will no longer be the case this season

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":10wf9aqw said:
But maybe he doesn't hate it and maybe this entire time he hasn't really had anyone that could consistently get open over the middle.

Maybe. Maybe not. Obviously opinions vary and that's why there is some hesitancy to put Russell in the top stratosphere of QBs. For certain, he will not get there if he Rick Mirer's the middle of the field.

Whatever one's opinion, the tools are on the roster today to put the debate to rest. If Wilson can't exploit the middle of the field, then it's not because of lack of WR talent. One way or another, the true reason we're not even trying to attack the middle of the field will be determined this year.

It's on Wilson now to make teams pay for cheating coverage in between the hashes.

Latest posts