Lockett explains Hawks real estate sponsorship.

RiverDog

Reaction score
A big part of the issue is that we DONT know what he is paying the Hawks, if anything at all.
Precisely. There is no transparency, which is part of the problem. All this stuff needs to be out in the open. This is a sport whose success or failure, at least in some measure, is dependent on how teams budget their money.

toffee

Reaction score
I am quite sure Lockett's real estate endeavor is legal, no doubt about it., I am also of the opinion that a good percentage of Lockett's focus has shifted, he is building a life after football, he is making sure that he will be healthy enough to enjoy his life after football. Nothing against the NFL's rules with all these too.

Bill Walsh always insisted on trading a star a year or two too early, than a year or two too late. Bill explained that at some stage, those stars will start shifting their focus from football to life after football, plus aging, and injury risks. I am with Bill.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
You're right, there is nothing 'shady' happening, at least not from what we know. It would appear that this relationship between Lockett's business and the Seahawks is above board and within what the league currently permits.

But that's not my point. My point is that these sponsorships, business partnerships, or whatever, have a monetary value to them. Delta Airlines is the "Official Airline for the Seattle Seahawks". Do you think that the Seahawks allow Delta Airlines to use their name in conjunction with Delta's for free? Of course, not. Although they don't disclose the terms, it's safe to say that it's at least an 8 digit amount that Delta ponies up for the right to have their name/logo next to that of the Seahawks.

And I don't agree with your approach of waiting for a problem to develop before they address it. They didn't wait for a team to give a player ownership in their franchise before they made a rule that either prohibits partnerships/sponsorships or establishes a value to them and adds it to the player's salary for cap purposes.
Except in your example, Delta is paying the Seahawks for the privilege of having their names associated. If Tyler Lockett's company is paying the Seahawks for the right to have his company's name associated, why on earth would that be added to his salary cap number?

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Except in your example, Delta is paying the Seahawks for the privilege of having their names associated. If Tyler Lockett's company is paying the Seahawks for the right to have his company's name associated, why on earth would that be added to his salary cap number?
oh - i dunno - the big bag of free $$$$$$ that he gets with the partnership.

delta pays a fee. What did he pay? What did he get? THAT's the issue. You can't lease a college player a corvette and not claim it. Same different. There's a monetary value to free promotion. There just is.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Bill Walsh always insisted on trading a star a year or two too early, than a year or two too late. Bill explained that at some stage, those stars will start shifting their focus from football to life after football, plus aging, and injury risks. I am with Bill.

This. JSN for the win.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Did you read the article?
Nope. But I've read other articles on the matter.

I REALLY don't need to hear anything more from Tyler except that he's ready to play. That's it. I also don't need to know who DK is creeping up on at his wedding. I don't need to know these things. At some point I don't want DK's 4 way, Earl Thomas' ho in the hotel, or Tyler's chastity/real estate ventures in my head. I've got enough problems, and there's only so much room in there ;)

I wanna see him YAC. Or honestly - if you can't play the game, get out. Retire if you're THAT scared of injury.

Yes, football is entertainment. Maybe with the Hollywood strike people are displacing celebrity fan-dom TMZ style on these guys too much.

They are just 25 year olds that make millions, after all.

Is it the end of the world? No. But I got me some Tyler fatigue. That's for sho.

OP
OP
S

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score

Whatever the Windermere contract was plus however much sth prices have gone up since Is fair market, but we have no idea. That’s problem one.

Problem two, potentially a larger one, is the huge Potential for conflict of interest.

RiverDog

Reaction score
You misunderstood what I meant. Only if Tyler is NOT paying the Seahawks a fair market price for the right to have his company's name associated with team should they calculate the financial value for that privilege, or if what he is paying is less than fair market price take the difference between what he's paying and what the market price for it is, then add it to his salary.

If he IS paying a fair price for it, then no problem.

Last edited:

toffee

Reaction score
Whatever the Windermere contract was plus however much sth prices have gone up since Is fair market, but we have no idea. That’s problem one.

Problem two, potentially a larger one, is the huge Potential for conflict of interest.
To toffee, the problem is come on, just FOCUS on football , life after football can wait till you are done with football. I advocated to trade Russell Wilson in 2020 and 2021 after his non football endeavors, hey I started a trade Wilson thread in 2021, to prove I asked to trade Russ lol, I am seeing the same shyt now with Lockett, he is more into his after football life while still being pay to play football.

RiverDog

Reaction score

The potential for a conflict of interest is something that Pete should be concerned with. If a player has a special financial relationship with the team that other players and coaches on the team don't have, that has the possibility to rub some of his teammates the wrong way. It's no different than Me3 and his special perks.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
Nope. But I've read other articles on the matter.

I REALLY don't need to hear anything more from Tyler except that he's ready to play. That's it. I also don't need to know who DK is creeping up on at his wedding. I don't need to know these things. At some point I don't want DK's 4 way, Earl Thomas' ho in the hotel, or Tyler's chastity/real estate ventures in my head. I've got enough problems, and there's only so much room in there ;)

I wanna see him YAC. Or honestly - if you can't play the game, get out. Retire if you're THAT scared of injury.

Yes, football is entertainment. Maybe with the Hollywood strike people are displacing celebrity fan-dom TMZ style on these guys too much.

They are just 25 year olds that make millions, after all.

Is it the end of the world? No. But I got me some Tyler fatigue. That's for sho.
Seems like a pretty simple short term solution would be to just scroll on by, no? Especially threads titled stuff like "Tyler Lockett explains Seahawks real estate sponsorship.... " But get it. I guess.

kidhawk

Reaction score
I look it it like this; if Lockett’s company is paying the going rate for sponsorships like other companies have to do then it’s fully legit. If they cut him any kind of break then that would need to count against the cap.

pmedic920

Reaction score
Stop trying to be logical, it’s not what we do up in here.

:{)

It’s a “sponsorship” just like any other company that sponsors a team or sporting event.
They give money in exchange for a form of advertisement.
Even if he got a home team discount it surely doesn’t go against the teams cap space.

And

It’s already been determined that it’s not violating any rules.

pmedic920

Reaction score
I look it it like this; if Lockett’s company is paying the going rate for sponsorships like other companies have to do then it’s fully legit. If they cut him any kind of break then that would need to count against the cap.
Why would a discount go against the cap?

I assume he formed a corporation and the discount isn’t going directly to him.

Besides, are there “rules” regarding how much “sponsorships” are supposed to cost?

kidhawk

Reaction score

Besides, are there “rules” regarding how much “sponsorships” are supposed to cost?

Not to discuss politics specifically but in that world as an example if you charge a politician less money to rent a venue or anything else really then that has to be considered a donation under the rules. I would want a similar application in the NFL to keep teams from skirting the cap

ivotuk

Reaction score
Who gives a rip?

NOBODY, questioned Brady and the shadiest team in the NFL when they do it.

Nobody questioned the QB or Head Coach, both of whom have been caught cheating before...

Nobody questioned the owner that frequents massage parlors, looking for the same thing DeShaun Watson was looking for...

But heaven forbid a young man of faith should open a publicly accessible business deal with his team. A man who's integrity is unimpeachable.

Let's call out the dogs and make a big deal out of it. Maybe consult the Patriots brain trust on what should be done about it.

Has nobody seen what's going on in the real world? And they want to complain about Tyler Lockett?

Patriots: "We've really screwed up! Got caught cheating! Multiple times! What do we do?"

Look! Over there! Tyler Lockett is doing something that we can fabricate an issue over! Distract everyone!

AgentDib

Reaction score
In my view any sort of relationship between a team and an active player outside of their football contract should disallowed. Leaving this door open allows teams that aggressively exploit rule weaknesses to gain an advantage.

However, it is allowed right now as clearly seen from TB12 and the Patriots. Thus, I don't mind the Seahawks doing it. We should play to the rules as they are currently written, not as to how we think they should be written.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Because it's compensation with a specific financial value that was given to him for his relationship with the team. It would allow the Seahawks the ability to sign him for less than what he would otherwise have agreed to and an unfair advantage for the Hawks vs. other teams looking to sign him.
Yeah, a little shell game that rich people use to duck having to pay taxes. And, it's more non transparency.
As far as I know, there are no rules. That's what we've been arguing about, that the league needs to regulate this form of compensation. But as @SantaClaraHawk indicated, it's pretty easy to figure out how much a sponsorship is worth, at least in this case. You take whatever amount Windermere paid for the same benefit and add a small amount, i.e. 8% or so, for inflation.

If they can't determine a fair market value, then prohibit the transaction. This ain't rocket science.

Last edited: