Tyler Lockett

RiverDog

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":32vin338 said:
Besides the 103-yard TD return, Lockett was also a shoe-string tackle away from possibly breaking another one for a TD. One long TD and another almost-TD on returns in a single game is a very stellar game.

That said, B.J. Daniels was a toe-trip on the turf away from breaking one too. Some of that has to be attributed to a horrendous outing by Denver's special teams unit. For as bad as our offensive line was in that game, their special teams were worse. When we received a kick or punt, they gave up huge yardage. When they received, they fumbled. Repeatedly.

I'm looking forward to next weeks game and seeing just how much of that was Lockett's awesomeness and how much was Denver's suckatude.

Great point. We need to keep things in perspective. This was just a preseason game and the first preseason game at that. I seem to remember Jermaine Kearse returning a KO for a touchdown in a preseason game, too.

Nevertheless, Lockett looks like the real deal. He's explosive, turns on a dime, very elusive. He's going to make it very difficult for me to get my job done quickly enough before the end of the commercial.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1zktic9g said:
Bobblehead":1zktic9g said:
Funny, he's almost exactly what we expected from the terd.

I expect some jet sweeps soon... j/k
I think DB will be "clever" and draw up some bubble screens with Lockett. :roll:
I fully expect at least 4 in St Louis in week 1 to stop that defense. It's his default play when the O-line is being beat like a rented mule.

Lockett can actually run the full route tree though

So it will only be 3 bubble screens

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":3cdg9qjy said:
Lockett is a Percy clone without the bad attitude. I love it!!! His speed is simply amazing.

Disagree. They are very different WR's. Percy is arguably one of the most explosive WR's in football in terms of pure athleticism .. that's why teams are still enamored by him even with the obviously character flaws (more of these are bubbling to the surface lately). But that's basically all you got from Percy.. that's why Bevell would do a lot of the same concepts that Urban Meyer used at Florida when Percy was at his best.. jet sweeps, bubble screens, quick hitters, etc. Anything to get him the ball in space. Despite his small frame, he's very well built.

Lockett on the other hand, yeah he's a smaller built guy who is also fast.. but he is so much more polished than Harvin. Really he's the most polished rookie WR this team has had in a long time. His route running is simply amazing. At Kansas State week after week he would be borderline unstoppable - which says a lot given their very subpar play at QB and the fact he was their only primary threat. Comparing Lockett to Harvin is like comparing Bryan Walters to Largent because they are both white.

Lockett is very Antonio Brown like. Now that doesn't mean he's about to catch 140 passes and kick punters in the face (though that would be awesome) .. just that he is very, very good at running routes and always seems to get open.. outstanding at returns.. and then the high character, small ego/non diva WR (which is a very underrated trait to have from that position.. hell ADB is a diva).. and this kid has a tremendous ceiling.

I'd say worst case, Lockett develops into what Bobby Engram was with the Bears. A very sure handed WR that could beat you deep but did most of his damage in the short-intermediate passing game.. and best case Antonio Brown 2.0. If he merely falls in between both ranges, he's going to be one hell of a player for us. I just hope we use him on offense and don't simply stick him on ST for most of his reps.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Lockett might not be super eloquent, but his maturity and team-first attitude shine through. Honestly, Percy Harvin does not deserve to be compared with this kid. Understandably, Tyler is a rookie and has to pay his dues a bit. But, I think Lockett compares more to our version of an Antonio Brown. (I HOPE so.)
http://www.seahawks.com/video/2015/08/1 ... -interview

Edit: I guess I should read ALL the posts before commenting. But, looks like I agree with Hasselbeck. :th2thumbs: He said it first here in this thread, but I've been telling all my friends for months that Lockett is going to be our Antonio Brown.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
From what little I've seen thus far, I'd say Lockett compares favorably to Eric Metcalf... and somewhat to his father, Terry Metcalf.

In his career, Eric had 10 TDs as a PR... and 2 Tds as a KR. He was 5'10", 188 lbs.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Lockett's legs are much bigger than the little pins Richardson runs on. Just saying, if he's as fast as Richardson we won't miss not having the guy with sticks for legs.

netskier

Reaction score
I believe Richardson is faster, but Lockett is quicker, higher acceleration and jerk, and has better balance.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
StoneCold":35bnli50 said:
Lockett's legs are much bigger than the little pins Richardson runs on. Just saying, if he's as fast as Richardson we won't miss not having the guy with sticks for legs.
Well, "the guy with sticks for legs" outperformed Lockett's much bigger legs at the combine... fwiw.

Standing vertical jump... Richardson, 38.0"... Lockett, 35.5"

Standing broad jump.... Richardson, 124.0"...Lockett, 121.0"

Both ran 4.40s... Richardson is 2" taller but 7 lbs. lighter... and Richardson's arms are 2 5/8" longer... and his hands are 1/2" larger.

Here's to hoping that Paul returns from his ACL as good as he was before it.

StoneCold

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":1bohhsjm said:
StoneCold":1bohhsjm said:
Well, "the guy with sticks for legs" outperformed Lockett's much bigger legs at the combine... fwiw.

Standing vertical jump... Richardson, 38.0"... Lockett, 35.5"

Standing broad jump.... Richardson, 124.0"...Lockett, 121.0"

Both ran 4.40s... Richardson is 2" taller but 7 lbs. lighter... and Richardson's arms are 2 5/8" longer... and his hands are 1/2" larger.

Here's to hoping that Paul returns from his ACL as good as he was before it.

I also hope he returns and stays healthy. But Richardson's calves in particular look too skinny to withstand the beating they will take, so I'm not optimistic.

seahawk Dan

Reaction score
netskier said:
I believe Richardson is faster, but Lockett is quicker, higher acceleration and jerk, and has better balance.[/quo

Quickness usually out does speed , would be great to have both , but i would rather have Quickness

Quickness is consistent , speed if you can break a hole once and a while is very effective.

I believe and hope Locket Has both.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Let's not hyperventilate. It was just one preseason game. Besides, if he does too good, teams will catch on and start kicking away from him.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
RiverDog":2nj2c3ru said:
Let's not hyperventilate. It was just one preseason game. Besides, if he does too good, teams will catch on and start kicking away from him.

That's not a bad thing either.. when teams try to do that, it leaves them ripe for shanking a kick or punting it short and we still get good field position out of it.

253hawk

Reaction score
Just for fun, I synced up Lockett's and Harvin's TD returns. Harvin catches his on the hop around the 12-13 while Lockett gets his in the end zone, but is cutting laterally at around the same yard line. So they both have the same approximate starting point and momentum. They both ease up around the same time, but Lockett beats Harvin to the goal line by 5 yards.

byau

Reaction score
For those with replay, watch the game again, at least the first few drives. Lockett actually did a fair job blocking on a few run plays too.

Gotta love it

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I was more impressed with the punt return than the kickoff.

He deked a handful of guys on the cover unit, and did it to the short side of the field. He has instincts. He faked east west so he could go north south. He made his own lane.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Scottemojo":xy6w9ul2 said:
I was more impressed with the punt return than the kickoff.

He deked a handful of guys on the cover unit, and did it to the short side of the field. He has instincts. He faked east west so he could go north south. He made his own lane.

Agreed on the punt return, but I was equally impressed by the kickoff return. On the punt return he showed his creativity. On the kickoff team he served notice to the league that even if the kick unit stays in their lanes that he possesses the speed to gain the edge and turn it up field.

Basically, he just told the league that they will be cut. They just have to choose which side of the blade they want to make them bleed.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Here we go again, someone telling us to not get excited about a player because it's "just pre-season" :roll:
That's a bunch of crap, this guy is flat out going to change the field position game all season.

byau

Reaction score
On a Brock and Salk a few weeks ago they asked the question which player do you think will make you jump out of your chair the most this season. The common answers were Marshawn, Russell, Jimmy Graham, Sherman

I was thinking... Tyler Lockett. He'll make me jump out of my chair three or four times a game. Everytime he doesn't fair catch a ball I'll be like "OH YEAH!! I'M SO GLAD HE'S HERE!!!!!!!!"

Pre-season #1 proved it right!

RiverDog

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2p64su9l said:
RiverDog":2p64su9l said:

That's not a bad thing either.. when teams try to do that, it leaves them ripe for shanking a kick or punting it short and we still get good field position out of it.

True. Anything that forces an opponent out of their game plan is a positive. ST coaches are going to have to game plan against Lockett just as DC's have to game plan to stop Russell's scrambling.

I'm just trying to keep us 12's settled down. It's a long season that has barely gotten underway. Let's not waste our energy and enthusiasm over one preseason game.

Along another note, I'm wondering why Lockett dropped as far as he did. He was the nation's top kick returner and the Big 12's leader in receiving yardage. He has a really impressive college resume, so it's not like he flew under the radar. Anyone know the knock on him? It's probably a good thing we traded up to snag him.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Let us now hopefully see how he is as a WR, initial impressions are however exciting as heck.

Latest posts