Twitter reacts to drafting Byron Murphy II

ivotuk

Reaction score
‘We are so back’ - Twitter reacts to Seahawks drafting Byron Murphy II in 2024 NFL Draft

The Seattle Seahawks once again remained in place with their top draft pick. No trade downs for a fifth consecutive NFL Draft, but for a third year in a row you could say they took one of the best (if not the best) players available.

At pick No. 16 and with the top six quarterbacks all taken well before Seattle was on the clock, the Seahawks took Texas defensive tackle Byron Murphy II. A dominant interior lineman, Murphy was just the second defensive player off the board in the first round. The Big XII Defensive Lineman of the Year has the distinction of being the first pick of the Mike Macdonald era. Seattle invested in the trenches as many expected with its first pick, but it’s on defense and not offense. The Seahawks’ next scheduled pick is at No. 81 in the third round.

What are people saying about the latest player to join the Seahawks roster? Social media was abuzz with opinions, so take a look for yourself! Early consensus is that Seattle made a great pick.

Superbowl 48

Reaction score
A year late and a Pro Bowl player short.

Just for a reference, Jalen Carter was rated as a Pro Bowl prospect, while Byron Murphy is considered a potential starter in two years...About a 3 tier difference, if we look at how the NFL rates players in the draft.

Also, a possible "Quarter Back of the Future" Will Levis, could of also been picked in last year's draft, over Njigba (WR).

Donn2390

Reaction score

Just for a reference, Jalen Carter was rated as a Pro Bowl prospect, while Byron Murphy is considered a potential starter in two years...About a 3 tier difference, if we look at how the NFL rates players in the draft.

Also, a possible "Quarter Back of the Future" Will Levis, could of also been picked in last year's draft, over Njigba (WR).

If you are trying to say not picking Jalen and Will was a mistake, I think that would be wrong....

BlueTalon

Reaction score

As someone who really wanted Carter before we picked Spoon, I'm fine with how things turned out. Especially now. I'd much rather have Murphy on my team than Carter.

themunn

Reaction score

Byron Murphy rates higher than (pro bowler) Spoon did

seabowl

Reaction score

I was one of the first people on this site to say early on in the process that the Seahawks should absolutely take Carter. With this said, Carter was passed up by a lot of teams because of his attitude and history of issues. What I didn’t know, that came out the day after the draft was over was that even his coaches at Georgia gave him poor reviews. That’s a very telling sign that probably would’ve scared me away too.

Levis also was passed up by many teams, so we’ll see how he does. With his said, it’s easy to cherry pick a player after they played their first year already and say should’ve, would’ve, could’ve.

WarHawks

Reaction score
In 8 games last year with the Titans, Levis threw for 1808 yds, 8 td's and 4 int's. 226 yds and 1 td per game, similar to Geno. So he has that going for him.

Last edited:

Maelstrom787

Reaction score

Lance Zierlein's grades are not gospel. They're actually extremely questionable, and NFL.coms grading criteria is not to be taken literally. They're just loose projections.

If those grades were true, then less than 15 players in the entire draft this year would be above average starters within a 2 year period. Obviously, this is not true.

Also, Will Levis has potential, but he's not necessarily a sure thing either. We'll need to see more. Potential QBOTFs are everywhere, especially if you maintain an organization where QBs can thrive. No QB succeeds alone - even the greats flounder when they don't have the rest of their team playing up to snuff. Ask Mahomes and the buzzsaw he ran into when Tampa Bay embarrassed them.

Really, I just don't get what your angle is. What is the purpose of comparing our mid first round defensive tackle to one from a different draft class who went top-10 after bombing his Pro day and having a role in the deaths of two of his fellow students? Why does that affect Byron's worth?

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Ah, the age of the internet, where you see instructions on how to CREATE a resume determining YOU (and/or your cat) are experts in the field.
This was the first mention I have seen depicting Murphy as a potential starter in two years.
I watch a lot of Big12 football. I knew what Murphy is week after week. My cat told me he will be a major impact player. If you don't believe my cat you shouldn't fall prey to what self promoted "experts" say either. Just watch and see what happens once real play begins.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score

We could've used an average backup or special-teamer instead, really.

Screenshot 20240502 110133 Chrome

CPHawk

Reaction score
I was one of the first people on this site to say early on in the process that the Seahawks should absolutely take Carter. With this said, Carter was passed up by a lot of teams because of his attitude and history of issues. What I didn’t know, that came out the day after the draft was over was that even his coaches at Georgia gave him poor reviews. That’s a very telling sign that probably would’ve scared me away too.

Levis also was passed up by many teams, so we’ll see how he does. With his said, it’s easy to cherry pick a player after they played their first year already and say should’ve, would’ve, could’ve.
Levis was passed by teams due to injury concerns as well as any infield concerns. He looked good on the field, but then he got hurt. He’s no good to anyone missing half the season