Trent Richardson to Indi

Decimation

Reaction score
Thank god my team doesn't have a front office ran like the incompetent Browns. I feel bad for their fans, they deserve some success.. eventually.

Tical21

Reaction score
Richardson, behind what most feel is a good line, has been one of the worst starting RB's in the league since he came into it supposedly "NFL ready". The Colts took a step backwards today IMO, and will be compounded when they can't add a 1st rounder next year to a roster that is far from complete. They already have Donald Brown, why did they need another one? Now, Richardson goes to a team with a much worse line and it is supposed to turn him into a stud? I don't see it. The Colts got fleeced here.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Indy is being built like the Cowboys. Their '12 squad is probably among the worst 11 win teams in history and they spent the off-season shelling out millions in long-term deals to mid-level FAs. Now they've traded a 1st rounder for a Richardson, a struggling RB with the dreaded perception of massive upside from being one of the first from his class to come off the draft board. All these seemingly logical "win now" moves won't be enough and their future could be even bleaker as a result.

kearly

Reaction score
The Colts know a thing or two about shamelessly tanking for a top rated QB. It's fitting they were there to accommodate the Browns in their quest to do the same.

FWIW, if the media coverage is any indication, it appears front office people think Indy got swindled on this deal. Richardson just hasn't been very good, and wouldn't go anywhere near top 5 in a re-draft today. That plus the new trend in the NFL is to wait before drafting RBs. The whole league is doing it, and as a result you can get a blue chip RB in rounds 2-4 these days. There's also the inconvenient fact that three straight all-universe RBs from Alabama have been poo in the NFL.

Grigson is over-rated. Great trade for the Browns. Maybe an okay trade for the Colts, if Richardson is a change-of-scenery case. But probably not. Being paired with Luck will help, especially if they start using read option stuff. But that line in Indy is garbage. At least Cleveland had some talent on OL.

kigenzun

Reaction score
And the new face of the franchise is... Barkevious Mingo!

Now, Browns fans... lets all give a nice round of applause... Please Welcome... Jonnnnny Manzell!!!
Err, I mean... YAY! Jederonevan Clowns now plays for the Cleveland Browns.
Err, wait... uhm? The Truth?? About Cleveland???

It doesn't matter who they draft.
They will always suck.
I feel sorry for their fans.

fade to dogcrap: A #1 overall pick, croons out of tune..."like a Bridge Over Troubled Waters... I play QB for the Browns"

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Indy did not get Richardson because they need 5 yards a clip. They got Richardson hoping that happens, but knowing that Richardson is good in short yardage. It was a panic move by a squad that reacted to poor short yardage effectiveness and thinks that is why they lost to Miami. Indy is all in for this year. The loss of Dwayne Allen for the year means one less short yardage pass target as well, giving Richardson even further value to Indy. Richardson caught a bunch of balls last year, IIRC.

Side note: The more I watch Luck, the more I see Favre. And the more I watch their style of play, the more I see a team that really just wants to quit on the run. 22 minutes into the game sunday, and Luck has 22 pass attempts. Crazy. He is going to throw a lot of touchdowns and a lot of picks.

themunn

Reaction score
Browns are STILL in need of a rebuild.
They have talented players at skill positions like Joe Thomas, Haden, Mingo and Gordon, but are being held back by the lack of talent elsewhere particularly with Weeden and Richardson.

But even if the Colts make the playoffs, there's evidence there will be a future franchise QB available next year (only one QB drafted in first round this year, outside of Tampa and Jacksonville, who can we see picking a QB in the first round next year? New England? Maybe. But they'll be drafting low yet again).

They can pick up top-tier talent with their top 10 pick, and someone else around the 20 spot.
Then they have two picks in 2 more rounds.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Tical21":2c6mzr4b said:
Richardson, behind what most feel is a good line, has been one of the worst starting RB's in the league since he came into it supposedly "NFL ready". The Colts took a step backwards today IMO, and will be compounded when they can't add a 1st rounder next year to a roster that is far from complete. They already have Donald Brown, why did they need another one? Now, Richardson goes to a team with a much worse line and it is supposed to turn him into a stud? I don't see it. The Colts got fleeced here.

The Colts have Vick Ballard and Ahmad Bradshaw as their top RBs. Not Brown.

Which actually makes this move even more confusing to me. Unless they really don't trust Bradshaw to stay healthy, which isn't ridiculous. But still, even with that, theyd didn't need to overpay with a 1st.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":vkws0sv5 said:
Tical21":vkws0sv5 said:

Which actually makes this move even more confusing to me. Unless they really don't trust Bradshaw to stay healthy, which isn't ridiculous. But still, even with that, theyd didn't need to overpay with a 1st.

Since Ballard is done for the season, Bradshaw is their only option, and he can't be a workhorse for them.

As for Donald Brown, he's nothing as a runner and a liability as a blocker.

I understand why the Colts went after a RB. I don't, however, understand why they paid what they did for Richardson.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
volsunghawk":3g40n7pr said:
Sarlacc83":3g40n7pr said:
Tical21":3g40n7pr said:

Since Ballard is done for the season, Bradshaw is their only option, and he can't be a workhorse for them.

I understand why the Colts went after a RB. I don't, however, understand why they paid what they did for Richardson.

I hadn't seen that Ballard went on the IR.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":19kw7ugu said:
volsunghawk":19kw7ugu said:
Sarlacc83":19kw7ugu said:

I hadn't seen that Ballard went on the IR.

Yeah, last week.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7615/vick-ballard

Updating a previous item, Colts RB Vick Ballard tore his right ACL in Thursday's practice and will miss the remainder of the season.
The Colts have already placed Ballard on season-ending injured reserve and promoted RB Kerwynn Williams from the practice squad. Ahmad Bradshaw is now locked into lead-back duties, while first-round megabust Donald Brown will mix in as the No. 2. Brown isn't worth picking up in fantasy leagues. Bradshaw was already ticketed for a bigger role this week, but he's now placed himself on the RB2 radar against the Dolphins. Ballard already lacked unique athleticism; he was a pedestrian runner. This injury could set him back long term. Sep 13 - 12:50 PM

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
Take a look at the article up now by La Canfora. Apparently multiple scouts and GMs around the league believe that the Colts panicked and overpaid for Richardson. Truly, I think that the general public's views of a player gets very skewed by the "Fantasy Football Phenomenon." This was a running back taken third overall in the draft and so he must be a complete stud. However he has serious injury history, was worked very hard while at Alabama, and didn't fit the scheme the Browns have in place. This could very well be a win/win long term for both organizations.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jas ... for-browns

On another note - here is a fair comparison of rookie years for highly drafted running backs

Trent Richardson '12: 267 carries, 950 yards, 3.6 ypc, 11 TD
Cadillac Williams '05: 290 carries, 1178 yards, 4.1 ypc, 6 TD

The rest of Cadillac's career: never had another 1000 yard season, never had more than 4 rushing TDs, missed 29 games over six years. Hindsight is 20/20 but don't you think if Tampa could have traded him for a 1st rounder if they thought this might be coming they'd have made that deal? If you're not comfortable with a player and have a way to make a move to rid yourself of him while getting a possible upgrade then it makes sense to do so, no matter what the public thinks.

Browncoat

Reaction score
I've been a lifelong Browns fan and closet Seahawks fan...and this is my 1st post here. :2:

When I first started watching football in the 80's I immediately liked the Seattle Seahawks because of The Boz. Hey...I was in junior high, I didn't know any better, I just thought he was cool. Anyway, I could never watch Seattle on tv because my dad was a Browns fan and that was all I could ever watch. Needless to say, I grew up watching and liking the Browns when it was a good time to be a Browns fan.

When the Browns moved to Baltimore in the mid-90's, I started following the Seahawks again. The Browns have been back in the league since 1999, and in that 14 years, they have had a record number of starting QBs, head coaching and scheme changes, and front office changes. Basically, the team is no better off today than they were 14 years ago. They have built upon nothing.

The decision to start a 3rd string QB and trading Richardson to Indy was the final straw for me. I am a Browns fan no more. I can not support a team that has shown time and time again that winning is simply not a priority. Even if you somehow manage to see the good in this trade for rebuilding down the road, the Browns will fail to make it work, which has been their modus operandi for the last 14 years. No, Richardson was not a franchise RB, but with this trade, the front office has just cashed in their chips on yet another season with the hopes for something better "next year".

HawksFTW

Reaction score
Browncoat":85pvskgb said:
I've been a lifelong Browns fan and closet Seahawks fan...and this is my 1st post here. :2:

When I first started watching football in the 80's I immediately liked the Seattle Seahawks because of The Boz. Hey...I was in junior high, I didn't know any better, I just thought he was cool. Anyway, I could never watch Seattle on tv because my dad was a Browns fan and that was all I could ever watch. Needless to say, I grew up watching and liking the Browns when it was a good time to be a Browns fan.

When the Browns moved to Baltimore in the mid-90's, I started following the Seahawks again. The Browns have been back in the league since 1999, and in that 14 years, they have had a record number of starting QBs, head coaching and scheme changes, and front office changes. Basically, the team is no better off today than they were 14 years ago. They have built upon nothing.

The decision to start a 3rd string QB and trading Richardson to Indy was the final straw for me. I am a Browns fan no more. I can not support a team that has shown time and time again that winning is simply not a priority. Even if you somehow manage to see the good in this trade for rebuilding down the road, the Browns will fail to make it work, which has been their modus operandi for the last 14 years. No, Richardson was not a franchise RB, but with this trade, the front office has just cashed in their chips on yet another season with the hopes for something better "next year".

:2:

We actually had a few of the more touched fans jump on the Browns bandwagon when Carroll came aboard, so it is interesting to see the reverse happening. It is sad to see someone's love of their team die out, but maybe Seahawks can fill that void for you. Good luck with that.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Browncoat":2he7btsz said:

I honestly can't blame you for this. Welcome aboard.

By the way, just in case, I hope the name is a reference to Firefly just as much as it is a portmanteau.

Bipolar

Reaction score
there is absolutely no reason to believe that the Browns traded him to Colts due to performance reasons or injury concerns. it sounds more like the new regime giving up on this season in order to accumulate as many picks as possible to stock-pile good players in 2014. I was so rooting for the Browns to turn things around this year, but now I cannot be more disgusted by the whole situation. clearly the politics got in the way of common sense. Browns are idiots. ultimately they will end up neither with an elite QB nor with a solid replacement for Richardson.

Colts, on the other hand, are going to be the powerhouse for generations. all they need is to improve the run D and get a #1 WR and they are golden. Andrew Luck, TY Hilton, 2 young TEs and T-Rich will take care of the rest for a very long time. this is how you build a monster team. standing ovations...

MANUNITED23

Reaction score
It's a good move for Browns. There is no way you draft a RB in the first round anymore. Besides this gives Browns ammunition to get the QB they want in the draft.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I see a lot of people in the media writing that this is a win-win trade. Honestly, I think it could just as likely be a LOSE-LOSE for both teams.

I get the Browns desire to draft a franchise QB, but how much worse are the Browns without Richardson? I think they're in a position to draft a QB either way, and a late 1st from Indy isn't going to do much to help their cause. In the meantime, they further alienate an already alienated fan base, further dampen the organizational culture, and their young coach probably loses the locker room.

For the Colts, they overpaid. A ton of teams have RB depth around the league and would've parted with equal talent for far less. For example, is Richardson that much better than the #2-#4 RBs on Seattle's roster? My gut says no, and I'm quite sure JS would be laughed out of the room for asking for a 1st for any of them. Grigson might be the most overrated GM since the guy who held his job before him.

HawksFTW

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":19p0avyp said:
By the way, just in case, I hope the name is a reference to Firefly just as much as it is a portmanteau.

Funny, it is the only reason I clicked on the thread.