Trent Dilfer

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
I think he's spot on. It's true. It's part of the history of who we are.

"Ha ha, Seattle is an expansion team with a bunch of losers on it."

- What's the retort here? Absolutely true. We didn't get the luxury of later expansion teams who were able to stack a decent team to compete right away. The Seahawks and Buccaneers were the little sisters of the NFL for years because of the way our franchises started out. But of course, that has no effect on those doing the criticizing.

"Ha ha, Seahawks are moving to L.A. because nobody cares about football in that remote outpost of South Alaska full of latte-sipping lumberjacks."

- Again, we have no real retort because it's true. Or at least mostly true. We die-hards wept and fought it tooth and nail, while the rest of the country sat back with the latte-sipping lumberjacks and counted down the days to when a "real" city could have football once again.

"Ha ha, the Seahawks suck suck suck!"

- This was the mockery that stemmed first from our humble beginnings, and then after a short time where we finally put together a great team in a then-tough AFC West, when we slumped back into mediocrity. Of course, that mediocrity stemmed from the same origins that caused people to deride our impending move to L.A., because Behring decided to "Suck for L.A." over the course of almost the entire 1990s.

"Ha ha, you have no history, no Super Bowl rings!"

- And of course, with a past like that, there's no wonder we have no history. That's like mocking a little kid for getting adopted by poor parents. Totally his fault, and totally something he could control, right? But it doesn't matter to those franchises whose history extends back to before the Louisiana Purchase. Adding to that, for years we were a franchise in "Egypt" and "South Alaska" that nobody - and I mean nobody - wanted to play for. Think you're going to do much with a team nobody really wants to be on?

"Ha ha, you think you got screwed in the Super Bowl! Get over it you whiners."

- While most of the rest of the United States agrees we got screwed there, it doesn't completely counterbalance accusations that we whined about it. We finally make it to the big dance and get screwed, but shut up and take it, Seattle, because Bettis and America's Team North got a ring. And the more it gets brought up, no matter what anyone says, the reaction is always "stop whining and get over it." And of course that just adds fuel to the flames and more criticism.

"You're a bunch of cheating thugs."

- While we have had a few players pop for illegal substances, and not a whole lot more than many other teams, the accusations are there. And any rebuttal, even when bringing up stuff like the fact Sherman's case was thrown out completely is only going to feed the haters' mentality. We're upstarts with no history, and that intrudes on everybody's preconceived notions that we're undeserving to be in the same league as them, and should relegate our play to the remote northern latitudes of the CFL.

So yea, we're die-hard fans with little history to hold on to, and a whole lot of criticism and ridicule to overcome. Are we thin-skinned? Absolutely. And with damned good reason. Not that it matters one bit to those doing the criticizing. But hey, flame on, ya window lickers. For the first time in history we have a team that everybody wants to be and nobody wants to play. And that's gonna change history!

Escamillo

Reaction score
brettb3":1co8jfiz said:
just told a Portland talk show host, "Without a doubt, Seattle is the most sensitive fan base to criticism." What is this guy's deal?

I'm going to assume the OP's post is sarcastic.

Dilfer's comment is a "trap" in the sense that it's irrefutable. Any given Seahawks fan must agree with it (and so accept Dilfer's comment to be true) or refute it (which proves Dilfer's comment to be true).
:D

imnKOgnito

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":hkucm48j said:

- What's the retort here? Absolutely true. We didn't get the luxury of later expansion teams who were able to stack a decent team to compete right away. The Seahawks and Buccaneers were the little sisters of the NFL for years because of the way our franchises started out. But of course, that has no effect on those doing the criticizing.

"Ha ha, Seahawks are moving to L.A. because nobody cares about football in that remote outpost of South Alaska full of latte-sipping lumberjacks."

- Again, we have no real retort because it's true. Or at least mostly true. We die-hards wept and fought it tooth and nail, while the rest of the country sat back with the latte-sipping lumberjacks and counted down the days to when a "real" city could have football once again.

"Ha ha, the Seahawks suck suck suck!"

- This was the mockery that stemmed first from our humble beginnings, and then after a short time where we finally put together a great team in a then-tough AFC West, when we slumped back into mediocrity. Of course, that mediocrity stemmed from the same origins that caused people to deride our impending move to L.A., because Behring decided to "Suck for L.A." over the course of almost the entire 1990s.

"Ha ha, you have no history, no Super Bowl rings!"

- And of course, with a past like that, there's no wonder we have no history. That's like mocking a little kid for getting adopted by poor parents. Totally his fault, and totally something he could control, right? But it doesn't matter to those franchises whose history extends back to before the Louisiana Purchase. Adding to that, for years we were a franchise in "Egypt" and "South Alaska" that nobody - and I mean nobody - wanted to play for. Think you're going to do much with a team nobody really wants to be on?

"Ha ha, you think you got screwed in the Super Bowl! Get over it you whiners."

- While most of the rest of the United States agrees we got screwed there, it doesn't completely counterbalance accusations that we whined about it. We finally make it to the big dance and get screwed, but shut up and take it, Seattle, because Bettis and America's Team North got a ring. And the more it gets brought up, no matter what anyone says, the reaction is always "stop whining and get over it." And of course that just adds fuel to the flames and more criticism.

"You're a bunch of cheating thugs."

- While we have had a few players pop for illegal substances, and not a whole lot more than many other teams, the accusations are there. And any rebuttal, even when bringing up stuff like the fact Sherman's case was thrown out completely is only going to feed the haters' mentality. We're upstarts with no history, and that intrudes on everybody's preconceived notions that we're undeserving to be in the same league as them, and should relegate our play to the remote northern latitudes of the CFL.

So yea, we're die-hard fans with little history to hold on to, and a whole lot of criticism and ridicule to overcome. Are we thin-skinned? Absolutely. And with damned good reason. Not that it matters one bit to those doing the criticizing. But hey, flame on, ya window lickers. For the first time in history we have a team that everybody wants to be and nobody wants to play. And that's gonna change history!

Good post... I concur, and it's one of the primary reasons I don't give a rip about what the rest of the country thinks about Richard Sherman's antics. We've played the red headed step child for too long. Sitting in the corner nice and quiet, hoping someone notices when we do something good. Of course, we never get any recognition, always the also-rans, never quite good enough. Even in 2005-6... Best offense in the NFL? Arguably the best offensive line EVER in the NFL? Offensive MVP? Aren't you guys cute. Why don't you come to Detroit. We need someone that no one cares about to screw over so Bettis gets his ring and the storied Stealers get one for the thumb.

So, yeah, we've tried to play nice and done our best to become at least somewhat relevant in the NFL, but the door always gets slammed after a pat on the head and a run along now. Well, guess what... If we want in the club, we're gonna have to kick down the door to get in, and then take out the trash. And that's what we're doing this year, and what we'll be doing for the next several. And if Trent Dilfer and the rest of the smug, condescending national media don't like it, or how we go about doing so, too bad. You wanna see some whining? Wait until the Seahawks send Manning into the sunset with a good old fashioned ass kicking. It ain't gonna be Seattle whining then.

Hawkboi

Reaction score
He was known as the "Million Dollar Dildo" and he's not much more as a commentator... Dildo doesn't matter to most of us Seahawks Fans, and he doesn't have much respect for us either... What he has to say is about as good as his ability as a QB, nothing to back it up... :|

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Anyone who doesn't know Trent Dilfer's deal with Seattle by now, hasn't been paying attention. :p

VivaEfrenHerrera

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":16g63pjh said:

- What's the retort here? Absolutely true. We didn't get the luxury of later expansion teams who were able to stack a decent team to compete right away. The Seahawks and Buccaneers were the little sisters of the NFL for years because of the way our franchises started out. But of course, that has no effect on those doing the criticizing....
I'm not quotin' the whole post, just because it's long. But damn, Sam, that was one of the finest things I've read on this site since I joined way back when I was losing my mind after that god-awful Ravens game.

Fine work, sir. Fine, fine work.

seahawk2k

Reaction score
I think a lot of Seahawks fans have felt irrelevant for so long that they constantly seek validation from the media, which in turn creates a great deal of sensitivity and a negative reaction when they don't get the wanted validation.

I think choosing not to care about the opinion of the media has added years to my life.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sensitive or supportive of our team, we call out the BS, the ill informed, and are rarely wrong about anything that looks snarky that happens to us.

We as a fan base address things, we as a fan base vocally support our team, very few bonds are as close as our fans and team and recognised as such.

Yelling just to yell is one thing, organized protest, such as the Behring move and then the Stadium build and also the Botched Officiating in 2005 created accountability and action.

Dilfer pissed still that he wasn't a part of the big picture and that a 1st round pick could not hold off a also ran draft pick for his spot at QB.

seacat1

Reaction score
Remember just because you are paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't out to get you! ;)

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
This is going to sound weird. Hawks fan all my life, I like Trent. I don't know why, as so many things he says make me puke. But I like the guy.

lobohawk

Reaction score
There may be some truth to his comment, but what you won't hear from him is that the Hawk fans are somewhat justified since the team is generally dismissed. The media is not very self-aware.

Faulk pointed this out pretty clearly and he's the first talking head I've ever heard say something like that.

imnKOgnito

Reaction score
lobohawk":kpd4d1fq said:
There may be some truth to his comment, but what you won't hear from him is that the Hawk fans are somewhat justified since the team is generally dismissed. The media is not very self-aware.

Faulk pointed this out pretty clearly and he's the first talking head I've ever heard say something like that.

Faulk? Marshall Faulk?

nsport

Reaction score
Nobody wants their baby to be called ugly.

It sucks a bit more when Trent Dilfer is critical or at least being perceived of anti-homerism - as he was the odd man out when he played here. He had the starting job lined up until that knee injury and was basically discarded like stale toast. He is the ugly baby of this discussion as he definitely has an ax to grind.

lobohawk

Reaction score
imnKOgnito":6k5ck9ac said:
lobohawk":6k5ck9ac said:

Faulk? Marshall Faulk?

Yup. Start listening at the 1:15 mark and it's a cool take that you normally don't hear from the talking heads.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/seattle-seahawks/0ap2000000315555/Deion-Sherman-is-the-best-in-the-game

KARAVARUS

Reaction score
lobohawk":31sy639a said:

I actually heard something similar this week and I could almost swear it was differ saying it. Even used the words, "east coast bias".

Ozzy

Reaction score
Dilfer's comments are false but relevant to him only because he has recent dealings with us. Saying we would get "exposed" by the Saints. I tend to think stadiums were they have to worry about stabbings probably top the list but mabye I'm wrong. Either way I don't care what Dilfer thinks about it. We are a passionate fan base.

StorytellerMatt

Reaction score
I remember a joke some clone made on Jim Rome years ago during Trent's playing days:

"What's a Dilfer?"

"It's fer throwing interceptions."