Trade Deadline Nov 1st

Hawkpower

Reaction score
Because every win would be a Pyrrhic victory. This is not and will not be a playoff team. These aren't pre-conceived notions, these are real-time observations. Detroit and Atlanta are bad teams and the Broncos were an emotionally focused moral victory. The only good team we played thumped us. We lost to one bad team and almost lost to the other. I don't like seeing them lose, ESPECIALLY not to division rivals, but other than brief happiness, winning is worse for us in the short-long term. We'll likely get smoked by KC, LAx3, SF again, at least. Who cares if we have 8 or 9 wins? This is 2023 pre-season. A winning season for me is the development of what looks to be an outstanding rookie class, the defense for fucks sake learning to tackle and play as a unit, and new team leaders emerging. Every game we win lessens our draft currency next year. Id rather lose 12 games this year than risk having to bundle both firsts to get the QB (or whoever) they want. I'd rather have the luxury of entertaining offers from other teams wanting to move up, or just hammering our picks without a lot of wheeling like we did this year. I've been through more than enough 7-9 win seasons to care about winning a few more meaningless games vs positioning ourselves to climb to the top again.

Winning is never worse, unless our team is a dumptser fire which this team is not.

Yes they have holes on defense, but we also have a ton of picks in which to address this. This team isnt going to only win 3, so why not hope for 9 and a possible playoff berth? The draft position isnt different enough from 9 wins to 5-6 (our floor) to hope for losses imo

The narrative for this season changed the minute Geno proved to be capable. Its ok to hope for all those things you said and concurrently hope for a playoff berth.

No, this team isnt going to win the SB. But imagine the boost a playoff spot would give to this organization post Russ, along with the experience for the young kids

Probably wont happen, but its not as far fetched as you portray either.

samwize77

Reaction score
No no no no! We have a window of opportunity next year to do remarkable things for the future of this franchise. If anything, we trade AWAY players that do not fit scheme, or are going to be more expensive than performance allows.

This year is simply going to be fun to watch because of the "no pressure" aspect going in. Stay THAT course, grab MORE capitol for next year and beyond, if at all possible.
If we happen to stumble into a playoff spot this year...then hell, we got there with what we have right now. Any expensive pick up right now is throwing good money at bad. Unless of course its one of those"an offer you just can't refuse" type of deals, and thats not likely to happen.

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
Because every win would be a Pyrrhic victory. This is not and will not be a playoff team. These aren't pre-conceived notions, these are real-time observations. Detroit and Atlanta are bad teams and the Broncos were an emotionally focused moral victory. The only good team we played thumped us. We lost to one bad team and almost lost to the other. I don't like seeing them lose, ESPECIALLY not to division rivals, but other than brief happiness, winning is worse for us in the short-long term. We'll likely get smoked by KC, LAx3, SF again, at least. Who cares if we have 8 or 9 wins? This is 2023 pre-season. A winning season for me is the development of what looks to be an outstanding rookie class, the defense for fucks sake learning to tackle and play as a unit, and new team leaders emerging. Every game we win lessens our draft currency next year. Id rather lose 12 games this year than risk having to bundle both firsts to get the QB (or whoever) they want. I'd rather have the luxury of entertaining offers from other teams wanting to move up, or just hammering our picks without a lot of wheeling like we did this year. I've been through more than enough 7-9 win seasons to care about winning a few more meaningless games vs positioning ourselves to climb to the top again.
Unless you can time travel, this is bollocks. However the season unfolds, whatever you are trying to claim to be certain is nothing of the sort.

The draft is and always has been a gamble, thus draft positioning does not guarantee a thing.

I'm glad the Seahawks have a mindset of winning now and into the future.

The tears of those who are hoping to lose for draft positioning makes each win that much sweeter.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
pump the brakes. sure, adding roquan smith sounds like a sexy move. but roquan smith will require not only high draft capital, but a high salary. at a non-premium position.

...and we're fooling ourselves if we think that adding a great linebacker like roquan smith will suddenly shore up our defense. the problems are much deeper than just cody barton.

the playcalling and its lack of pressure is appalling.

also, the current front 7 players don't even fit the intended scheme (outside of nwosu/woods). our safeties have also been liabilities. and this scheme has warts; poor gap control, over-reliance on backers to shed blocks (and they get washed out over and over), and it diminishes a speed-rusher's best abilities by giving them outside contain responsibilities on downs 1-3. i reiterate; it's not just the players. it would take a strong front 7 (suited for the scheme) to make this scheme work, or atleast that's what my amateur eye is seeing.

DarkVictory23

Reaction score
We should be trading for nobody we don't think will be a good fit for at least 3 or more seasons. I don't know who we're going to get to fit that bill at this point in the season.

If the Seahawks are interested in taking some talent to fill holes for this year, they need to be looking at FAs and the practice squads of other teams, not making splashy trades.

I don't buy the idea that we shouldn't be playing to win but we aren't in a spot where we even 100% know what we need so let's not limit our opportunities come the end of the season where that will be much more apparent.

toffee

Reaction score
If we are still in the playoff hunt by the deadline? LB, DE, SS, and WR3, all are welcome, one year rental would be the best, but open to long term if the signee has proven record.

We are riding Geno's Cinderella season, we will ride till his glass slipper expires.

toffee

Reaction score
also, the current front 7 players don't even fit the intended scheme (outside of nwosu/woods). our safeties have also been liabilities. and this scheme has warts; poor gap control, over-reliance on backers to shed blocks (and they get washed out over and over), and it diminishes a speed-rusher's best abilities by giving them outside contain responsibilities on downs 1-3. i reiterate; it's not just the players. it would take a strong front 7 (suited for the scheme) to make this scheme work, or atleast that's what my amateur eye is seeing.
Your "amateur" eyes are seeing a lot more than most on dot net !!! I am envious.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
Unless you can time travel, this is bollocks. However the season unfolds, whatever you are trying to claim to be certain is nothing of the sort.

The draft is and always has been a gamble, thus draft positioning does not guarantee a thing.

I'm glad the Seahawks have a mindset of winning now and into the future.

The tears of those who are hoping to lose for draft positioning makes each win that much sweeter.
The Seahawks have a winning mindset, I'm not doubting that. Their jobs and next contracts are on the line. I'm speaking of what I as a fan want and what's best for the franchise long term. You know Schneider is thinking that even if the players and even Pete aren't. "Drink the tears" has been and still is some of the cringiest crap out there, even if anyone was really upset to the figurative point of tears. Spoiler alert, I highly doubt anyone is but I understand you have to jump to that conclusion so you can bust out 5 year old cliches.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
If we are still in the playoff hunt by the deadline? LB, DE, SS, and WR3, all are welcome, one year rental would be the best, but open to long term if the signee has proven record.

We are riding Geno's Cinderella season, we will ride till his glass slipper expires.
Thank JHC that you make no personnel decisions. Middle of a rebuild and you want to trade away assets for half season rentals.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
Signing free agents, no trading unless a must have candidate.
What free agents who are worth having are available at the trade deadline?! Why would you even mention "at the deadline" when talking about the types of players you'd want if you were talking about FA signings?

chrispy

Reaction score
If we all take a deep breath, we already know 2 things that are already happening regarding in-season trades and the deadline:

JS is talking to other teams about getting their players.
JS is talking to other teams about dealing our players.

He's in every deal. He'll pull the trigger either way if it makes the team better. He also has a draft board for '23 to which we're not privy.

LeaveLynchAlone

Reaction score
The Seahawks have a winning mindset, I'm not doubting that. Their jobs and next contracts are on the line. I'm speaking of what I as a fan want and what's best for the franchise long term. You know Schneider is thinking that even if the players and even Pete aren't. "Drink the tears" has been and still is some of the cringiest crap out there, even if anyone was really upset to the figurative point of tears. Spoiler alert, I highly doubt anyone is but I understand you have to jump to that conclusion so you can bust out 5 year old cliches.
Sorry, I didn't mean to trigger you. Just responding to what you posted.

Hawkamaniac

Reaction score
Not many would have thought the 2010 Seahawks were a playoff team either. They had been 4-12 and 5-11 the previous two seasons. Additionally, save for a first round tackle, and two promising rooking safeties, they were old. Their QB had noodle arm, the back-up looked like Jesus, and their coach was only in the NFL because he was running from NCAA sanctions. Yet somehow they won their division, and despite having the worst record in the history of the NFL playoffs, they beat the defending world-champs on possibly the greatest single play in league history. The man responsible for said play was a mercurial RB from Oakland, who had come to the 'Hawks mid-season, for a fourth-round pick and a bag of skittles. He'd go on to be the best RB in the league over the next four seasons, and he'd lead Seattle to back-to-back Superbowls and the team's first championship ...

So yeah, trade away. Go get a cheap (contract/draft capital) veteran or two that might benefit from a change of scenery ...

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Any malcontents in Chicago? Did they end up signing their stud LB?

I will go look at CHI, HOU, PIT, RAIDERS... but by all means, any suggestions?

We need DT, ILB, and pass rush

SNDavidson

Reaction score
Roquan Smith seems pretty damn obvious if he wants out.

Without knowing anything as to status of these people:

Neville Hewitt

Denzel Perryman

Myles Jack

Spohawks

Reaction score
I like Adams but I think Pete will think long and hard before throwing high picks at a proven player again.

That being said, I wouldn't mind dropping a 1st on a stud player. The Rams live by this and look at their results last year.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
..........with a little help from the refs. But it's a good point. However, there's a huge difference between going all in with trades when your team is a contender vs. wasting a 1st round pick when your team is rebuilding.