Tom Brady should be suspended for Super Bowl

MysterMatt

Reaction score
bigskydoc":15cad292 said:
Suspending Brady is the right thing to do, but next year please. I don't want any asterisks on our second Lombardi.

- bsd RPA
There wouldn't be an asterisk, as Brady would be suspended as a cheater. The vast football universe outside of New England would give precisely zero craps.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":197xtpq6 said:
MizzouHawkGal":197xtpq6 said:
Evil_Shenanigans":197xtpq6 said:
There will be a scapegoat! A ball boy, a cheerleader, someone will dive on his or her sword for the good of the team!
It will be the ball boy besides I don't see any way the NFL can directly link Brady or Belicheck to any of this. They know that cheating occurred but not exactly by whom so the logical thing to do is to mete out whatever punishment is due after the game. And whatever it may be should be pretty serious and at least to the level of Bounty Gate for a start.

"I didn't know the car was stolen, officer, I swear! I was just driving it. My buddy told me it was totally cool and not stolen!"

Kids usually learn by kindergarten that the ol' "But I didn't know!" excuse doesn't work when you get caught with your hands in the cookie jar... or on deflated balls.
It will work fine in this case because as I said the NFL cannot place Brady in the room, or prove that he actually said a thing. Now they do have precedent to suspend Belicheck because he is the head coach and by extension he is responsible for EVERYTHING that is allowed tacitly or not with the entire team.

Otherwise you are looking at suspending half your offense (quarterback, running backs, wide receivers) because the deflated balls help every last one of them even if it was never their idea to do such a thing. Best thing to do is suspend Belicheck for the year, strip them of a 1st round draft pick if not more and the maximum fine possible for both Belicheck and Kraft. And if you really wanted to be serious suspend Brady four games (not that I see that happening anytime soon).

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
MizzouHawkGal":134c3mcy said:
It will work fine in this case because as I said the NFL cannot place Brady in the room, or prove that he actually said a thing. Now they do have precedent to suspend Belicheck because he is the head coach and by extension he is responsible for EVERYTHING that is allowed tacitly or not with the entire team.

I agree the league may well do nothing to Brady for this, or at best a slap on the wrist, but to think they can't "place Brady in the room" when he handles those balls every offensive snap of every game, when the Colts' player noticed a difference in the ball after a single touch, is pushing the limits of credulity. He's stated before, specifically, he likes deflated balls. The quarterback stands the most to gain from this situation. And he handles those balls every snap the Patriots are on offense. Like I said, that cookie jar defense doesn't work in the real world. Now we get to see if the NFL wants to live in the real world or in fantasy land.

And suspending offensive players who have been associated with those balls wouldn't be precedence. The league suspended a number of Saints players implicated in their scandal, in addition to suspending coaches and fining the team both draft picks and money.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
The only way Brady gets caught is if he either admits it, or the ball boy rolls over on him and says yeah Tom told me to do this.

Neither will happen, I'm sure some flunkie in the Pats FO has already coached the ball boy(s) to not remember anything......and Brady will do the same thing Belicheat did this morning. Act shocked and surprised and not remember anything either.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I do think something will happen I'm not yet convinced it will be on the Bounty Gate level though. Either way I don't want them to do a thing until after the game because I want no excuses for the media or the Patriot fanbase after the Seahawks kill them next Sunday.

On the otherhand it's almost a guarantee that the balls won't be deflated on February 1st in any case. :th2thumbs:

MVP53

Reaction score
RunTheBall":33odvneq said:
HawKnPeppa":33odvneq said:
drdiags":33odvneq said:
Not being very realistic with this post. No way in hell is Brady getting suspended for the Superbowl due to this. At most the Patriots lose a draft pick and maybe a fine to the club and Bill.
Yeah, even if they decided to go so extreme, the timeline is awefully short.
Why is it extreme though? They cheated in the AFC Title Game, why should they get off the hook by just giving up a 1st round pick but still getting to play in the Super Bowl? It's basically saying "go ahead and cheat to win Super Bowls, we'll just take away a few draft picks and fine you a few hundred thousand dollars and call it good". They are repeat offenders with the same coach, same QB on the same team. The hammer should come down.

What do you suggest the NFL do, put the Colts in the Super Bowl?

Unfortunately, the only thing you can only do with cheating, is punish after the fact. And that's not just an NFL thing.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
This isn't difficult. You don't need to place Brady in the room. Read Madden's article on PFT. No one is doing anything to that ball without the QB's approval. You think one of NE's no-name receivers or RBs is going to circumvent Brady and have the ball adjusted without his consent? That is insane reasoning.

Sammy Sosa had a cork in his bat to make it lighter. There is no tape of him actually instructing people to put the cork in the bat. The thing just speaks for itself. He cheated. Same situation.

Chawks1

Reaction score
huskylawyer":19ng12cq said:
Brady just had a "team meeting" behind closed doors with his teammates.

@#$ is getting real....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/22/brady-addressed-deflategate-with-teammates-today/

This just got real! If Brady admits requesting the deflated balls then something MUST be done immediately by the league. He is already on record laughingly denying these accusations. If he now admits it the league MUST act.

If LYnch was threatened with with ejection from the game last week for wearing gold shoes then what should Tom Terrific be subjected to????

fan4life

Reaction score
Belicheck just finished a scheduled press conference. The NFL Insiders are openly speculating as to whether BB threw his QB under the bus, wrt who might be behind deflated balls. If Brady and his equipment manager knowingly doctored the balls, illegally, they need to be sanctioned. Period.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
Tom Brady (probably)":30dyoajb said:
No one is angrier that this has been happening in my organization. No one. I cannot believe someone would try and do this right under my nose, nay my very fingertips, in my own stadium. I will not sleep until all the perpetrators have been found, caught, and brought to justice for this act which has brought such disgrace upon my organization.

sutz

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":eettsztk said:
Tom Brady (probably)":eettsztk said:
No one is angrier that this has been happening in my organization. No one. I cannot believe someone would try and do this right under my nose, nay my very fingertips, in my own stadium. I will not sleep until all the perpetrators have been found, caught, and brought to justice for this act which has brought such disgrace upon my organization.

Probably more accurate: "I'm shocked! Shocked that people have doctored the footballs!" (Vague classic movie reference for the younger set)

MVP53

Reaction score
DavidSeven":vevi5lye said:
This isn't difficult. You don't need to place Brady in the room. Read Madden's article on PFT. No one is doing anything to that ball without the QB's approval. You think one of NE's no-name receivers or RBs is going to circumvent Brady and have the ball adjusted without his consent? That is insane reasoning.

Sammy Sosa had a cork in his bat to make it lighter. There is no tape of him actually instructing people to put the cork in the bat. The thing just speaks for itself. He cheated. Same situation.

Tom Brady isn't "in charge" of the footballs. At least, not to the point where you could suspend him if something happened to them.

The Sosa comparison is a good one, but a baseball bat is not a shared piece of equipment, a football is.

huskylawyer

Reaction score
MVP53":2gfrjxy3 said:
DavidSeven":2gfrjxy3 said:

Tom Brady isn't "in charge" of the footballs. At least, not to the point where you could suspend him if something happened to them.

The Sosa comparison is a good one, but a baseball bat is not a shared piece of equipment, a football is.

I have a difficult time believing that a ballboy unilaterally decided to deflate football without anyone telling him to do it. That just isn't even possible.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
huskylawyer":2rp1axo2 said:
MVP53":2rp1axo2 said:
DavidSeven":2rp1axo2 said:

I have a difficult time believing that a ballboy unilaterally decided to deflate football without anyone telling him to do it. That just isn't even possible.

Amazing that they are taking this stance. No one with a brain buys that.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Chris Canty, Ravens DE says is the same as PEDs, because it's an unfair advantage and attacks the integrity of the game. His emphasis seemed to be on the integrity of the game and how it reflects negatively.

Read it earlier today, I think it was ESPN.

SPIRITOF12

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":1l8mwi2b said:
You know what ... no way. I don't want to see any kind of suspension whatsoever for either Brady nor Belichick. I want to beat this Patriots team as is at full strength -- at its very best. No asterisks next to this game.

Agree 100%. I don't want this scandal to end the Patriots legacy, I want the Seahawks to do it.

Jacknut16

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":iy3mwlr7 said:
Wow, I thought Hawks fans were smarter than this thread shows. The best solution would be to drop that rule and let teams inflate to whatever they want (except for kicking balls). Who cares if Brady prefers 11 psi and Rodgers prefers 14? The other team is not affected in any way. They already allow each team to customize the footballs by scuffing etc., because a brand new football is too slippery to throw.

Also, here's Terry Bradshaw in a book he wrote previously:
Most fans don’t know it, but before the game we would doctor the footballs that would be used. Until the season of 2000 it was up to the home team to provide twenty-four game balls to the officials for each game. A brand-new NFL football straight from the factory is not easy to throw or catch. It’s rock hard and very slippery. So in the privacy of the locker room before the game, players would take the footballs and rub them and scrub them to remove the glaze, or deflate them, then pump them up with air real big to stretch the leather. On some teams the kickers would put them through a cycle in the dryer. Some teams did this, but naturally not the Steelers, because we were righteous folk who would never stretch the rules, and when these other teams—not the Steelers—were finished, they would put them back in the plastic wrapping and right back in the box. Some teams—who were not the Steelers—after the officials had checked and approved the game balls, would let out a couple of pound of air to make it easier for the quarterback to grip it. A little less air would make the ball spongier. It was what might be called a perceived advantage-both teams played with the same ball.

This controversy is a total farce.

Surprise, surprise , a Pats fan calling outright cheating, a farce.

Head explode.