Tom Brady should be suspended for Super Bowl

Scottemojo

Reaction score
NEVER will happen.

A Brady-less SB would mean lower ratings. Way lower. THe NFL is not going to punish themselves for what the Patriots did.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
Tom Brady should play with regulation balls in the Super Bowl and have to take his chances with the Hawks front seven and the LOB. I think that will be punishment enough.

50yrpatsfan

Reaction score
Wow, I thought Hawks fans were smarter than this thread shows. The best solution would be to drop that rule and let teams inflate to whatever they want (except for kicking balls). Who cares if Brady prefers 11 psi and Rodgers prefers 14? The other team is not affected in any way. They already allow each team to customize the footballs by scuffing etc., because a brand new football is too slippery to throw.

Also, here's Terry Bradshaw in a book he wrote previously:
Most fans don’t know it, but before the game we would doctor the footballs that would be used. Until the season of 2000 it was up to the home team to provide twenty-four game balls to the officials for each game. A brand-new NFL football straight from the factory is not easy to throw or catch. It’s rock hard and very slippery. So in the privacy of the locker room before the game, players would take the footballs and rub them and scrub them to remove the glaze, or deflate them, then pump them up with air real big to stretch the leather. On some teams the kickers would put them through a cycle in the dryer. Some teams did this, but naturally not the Steelers, because we were righteous folk who would never stretch the rules, and when these other teams—not the Steelers—were finished, they would put them back in the plastic wrapping and right back in the box. Some teams—who were not the Steelers—after the officials had checked and approved the game balls, would let out a couple of pound of air to make it easier for the quarterback to grip it. A little less air would make the ball spongier. It was what might be called a perceived advantage-both teams played with the same ball.

This controversy is a total farce.

bigDhawk

Reaction score
As punishment the Patsies should be forced to play the Super Bowl with rugby balls inflated to the size of tractor tires.

minormillikin

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":2fzyv87a said:
Wow, I thought Hawks fans were smarter than this thread shows.

You haven't read the thread, you only read the title. 95% of the responses here disagree with the original post.

aawolf

Reaction score
I posted this in the 10-page thread, but it should go here because it deals with punishment for the offense of equipment tampering.

This is nothing more and nothing less than equipment tampering.

I don't recall this ever being an issue in Football, but definitely its an issue in baseball--corked bats, tar on pitcher's uniforms, razor blades in the gloves to scratch the balls, ect...

The appropriate punishment is to do what baseball does to people that cheat in this manner.

Sammy Sosa was suspended 8 games for a corked bat--8 games out of a 162 game season is 4% of games.--4% of an NFL season is 0.6 games--so, offender should be suspended 3 quarters of a regular season game.

Yankees pitcher Michael Pineda was suspended 10 games for tar on the baseball per league rules. That's like a one regular season game suspension in the NFL--since Pineda was a pitcher, he would only play every 4-5 games though, so again, 3 quarters would be appropriate.

Further complicating the matter is that it is unknown who the deflator is...if Belicheck or Brady is the culprit. I'd say Brady, since he touched the ball every down. I'd say a one game suspension to be served in the next regular season and a fine. I don't think this is worthy of losing draft picks. But, the NFL has different rules than the MLB in their collective bargaining agreement, so the penalty may be harsher.

Smellyman

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":wmjcfa37 said:
Wow, I thought Hawks fans were smarter than this thread shows. The best solution would be to drop that rule and let teams inflate to whatever they want (except for kicking balls). Who cares if Brady prefers 11 psi and Rodgers prefers 14? The other team is not affected in any way. They already allow each team to customize the footballs by scuffing etc., because a brand new football is too slippery to throw.

Most fans don’t know it, but before the game we would doctor the footballs that would be used. Until the season of 2000 it was up to the home team to provide twenty-four game balls to the officials for each game. A brand-new NFL football straight from the factory is not easy to throw or catch. It’s rock hard and very slippery. So in the privacy of the locker room before the game, players would take the footballs and rub them and scrub them to remove the glaze, or deflate them, then pump them up with air real big to stretch the leather. On some teams the kickers would put them through a cycle in the dryer. Some teams did this, but naturally not the Steelers, because we were righteous folk who would never stretch the rules, and when these other teams—not the Steelers—were finished, they would put them back in the plastic wrapping and right back in the box. Some teams—who were not the Steelers—after the officials had checked and approved the game balls, would let out a couple of pound of air to make it easier for the quarterback to grip it. A little less air would make the ball spongier. It was what might be called a perceived advantage-both teams played with the same ball.

I thought Pats fans were smarter than this. It is only the OP who feels this way

tom sawyer

Reaction score
I agree with others, I want a full bodied, full strength patty-cake smack-down by our mighty Hawks on SB day!!

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
There will be a scapegoat! A ball boy, a cheerleader, someone will dive on his or her sword for the good of the team!

EMTHawkfan

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":glq4b59k said:
Wow, I thought Hawks fans were smarter than this thread shows. The best solution would be to drop that rule and let teams inflate to whatever they want (except for kicking balls). Who cares if Brady prefers 11 psi and Rodgers prefers 14? The other team is not affected in any way.

Wow! You don't even need to be a football fan to see the ignorance in dropping rules and allowing teams to do whatever they want to do to doctor footballs. Feb 1st can't get here soon enough!

Jiggy

Reaction score
Piss on them two (Beli-cheat and Golden Boy)... I want Bellicheck, Brady and Wendell (the Center during the AFC Championship game) all suspended immediately for the rest of the year and all of next year.

Why? Because when we stomp them BECAUSE of that I want the media to remind them it's because of them that it happened. I want their team-mates to call them out (if not in public, in the locker room). I want their UFA's to leave en-mass this off season. I want to hear about Browner putting the golden boy in a choke hold in the Patriots facility on the 2nd of February. I want to see this organization destroyed by it's own actions and nothing is going to hurry that along as much as getting their d*cks knocked in the dirt on the 1st of February.

But most of all, I don't want my kids to see that if you get caught cheating you get a pass if you're deemed *special*.

TXHawk

Reaction score
I hope the Patriots get the book thrown at them....next season. Suspensions, fines, loss of draft picks, whatever. Just don't screw up the Super Bowl.

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
First it was Panthers fans trash talking(Of course the Hawks won), then it was Packers fans trash talking(Of course the Hawks won), when will people learn that trash talking doesn't pay? :sarcasm_off:

Jiggy

Reaction score
TXHawk":204arhxk said:
I hope the Patriots get the book thrown at them....next season. Suspensions, fines, loss of draft picks, whatever. Just don't screw up the Super Bowl.

One could say that the Patriots have already done that.

homerun1970

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":u8rwt4yt said:

Ok you got part of the reading but did you notice the part where he said "it made the ball easier to grip and was an advantage". How about the part that said " both teams played with the same ball." In this case no both teams do not play with the same ball and the league has changed. It is however still an advantage and outside the rules I dont care what they used to do. I don't care that possibly some rogue ball boy let out 2 ponds or better outof the balls. Face it Hoodie has a track record and Brady isnt going to get a free pass on this he knew. It is against the rules for a reason the pats got caght cheating again spin it how you want team was dirty.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Tired of hearing the score against the colts mentioned as son kind of minimizing factor.

If Toms not using cheater balls who's to say his first pass isn't a pick that changes the direction and momentum of the game?

I don't want him suspended from the superbowl even though he should be. But he needs to be held accountable.

sutz

Reaction score
Last reporting I heard was that a ruling would not even be made until after the SB. So the premise in the OP is out.

I'm curious what the league will do, and how they will change the process.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
50yrpatsfan":2zzhwkq7 said:
The best solution would be to drop that rule and let teams inflate to whatever they want (except for kicking balls). Who cares if Brady prefers 11 psi and Rodgers prefers 14? The other team is not affected in any way. They already allow each team to customize the footballs by scuffing etc., because a brand new football is too slippery to throw.

While I agree that the rule is kind of dumb and teams should be allowed to inflate the balls to whatever PSI they desire, simply changing the rule now is no solution to this situation.

The Patriots cheated. They broke the rule that was in existence at the time the game was played. Even if you change the rule now, that does not change the fact that they cheated. They gained an unfair advantage over another team (other teams?) who played within the rules.

Teams are responsible for operating under the rules in place at the time of the game, not some future rule change.

50yrpatsfan":2zzhwkq7 said:

Is it really? How? The Patriots cheated. They broke the rules and gained an unfair advantage while the Colts (and possibly other teams) did not. How is it a farce. If there was no advantage, then why did the Patriots bother to do it. Nobody purposely breaks a rule unless it gives them an advantage.

(disclaimer - When I accuse the Patriots, I am doing so generically because I don't know how else to target my criticism. Since there is not enough released evidence to pin the blame on a specific person or persons within the org, I will continue to say the Patriots cheated until it can be narrowed down to who did the actual cheating and who knew about it.)

- bsd RPA

Brahn

Reaction score
RunTheBall":3sq1df17 said:
The NFL had no problem at all suspending Brandon Browner for doing weed last year for the entire duration of the playoffs (including the Super Bowl) or the year before for Adderall which would have cut into the playoffs but he chose to serve the suspension right away during the end of the 2012 regular season. What makes Tom Brady so special? It's clear he was the one who was the main culprit when cheating by deflating the footballs, the deflating was done for him by his demands. Why isn't he at the center of the issue? John Madden makes a perfect argument.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... footballs/

How does one do weed?