This Josh Gordon ban seems very suspiciously timed?

MarylandHawk

Reaction score
HawkerD":n1r4fc0v said:
olyfan63":n1r4fc0v said:
I'll play.
In the playoffs, the preparation and matchups get taken to a new level. So let's say that an opponent had an excellent slot corner DB that could take Tyler Lockett out of the game. Then they had a long corner that was a tough matchup for DK. Now that opponent is down to their #3 corner to cover Josh Gordon. And their pass D has to deal with Jacob Hollister as well. Gordon is going to be open a good part of the time, if #3 corner is covering him. That's what we saw, against SF, is Gordon got open for key first downs. Never mind that Gordon would be our #2 receiver and DK #3, in most people's eyes. The point is it causes serious matchup problems for the opposing defense when Josh Gordon is part of the Seahawks receiving corps and on the field.

In a closely contested playoff game, against, say, a team from New Orleans or Santa Clara, a matchup edge can be a real difference-maker, the difference between a win and a loss. Michael Thomas? Oh, and "Yeah, but Kittle....",. So yes, Josh Gordon improves our chances.

I have to agree with Olyfan. The difference between moving on and going home in the playoffs is a thin margin. Now you have Malik Turner/Jaron Brown/David Moore instead of Josh Gordon. Those three can be more easily nullified by an average DB. Just not the case for Gordon who can beat almost anyone on any given play. He is an elite talent and we would be better with him.

Not only that, but we would still be fighting for a playoff spot without him because I don't think we won than SF game without him.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I doubt there are many who dispute that Gordon is an elite level talent and might have been a significant contributor to our efforts going forward. I sure was salivating at those prospects.
There probably are a lot of folks who might dispute particulars of the NFL's drug policy. That is obviously the case for some players. The thing is the league made it's policy known and players, including Gordon, agreed to abide by it. Testing is said to prove that Gordon failed to live up to his agreement.
How is it fair to criticize the league for doing what they stated they would do?
If I were going to blame someone I would blame the Pats for not disclosing knowledge they may have had regarding the upcoming suspension before other teams pursued the option to claim him. I guess, considering the Pats track record for not toeing the line of fair play is something we should have been well aware of.
We took a chance and it didn't work out. I just hope Gordon can get past this, get everything acceptably resolved, and join our team in the future.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Russ says he's praying for Gordon and definitely hopes he can return to the Hawks once everything is resolved.

That could be coming with the new CBA if this is just for pot.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":20v77tkd said:
Torc":20v77tkd said:
Yxes1122":20v77tkd said:
My assumption is that NE had the inside track on this and released him. That team needs offensive weapons right now.

But even if they didn't... The far more likely thing is that the guy with something like 5 previous suspensions got suspended again for legitimate reasons.

Dude came up clutch a few times, which sucks, but it's not like we lost Lockett.

This all the way. NE knew he'd been tested and that a suspension was in the works. They're far too desperate for receivers to let him go for free otherwise. No conspiracy theory necessary.

...................And without Gordon making those two key 3rd down catches in the Niner game, we don't win that game.

So if the very least he's done as his time in Seattle is help us win that one game, that's enough. He didn't come at any cost, so it was all gravy to begin with, and he helped us win the most important game of the season.

Or if he wasn't on the team they throw to somebody else for the first.

Not like those were two amazing slants or anything.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I suspect the Patriots knew of a pending suspension when they waived Gordon, but it’s only just my suspicion based upon the odd way he was treated by them prior to them just waiving him. They needed his talent but after Brown didn’t need another distraction.

The conspiracy theory posed by the OP seems a bit of a stretch and I don’t buy that the suspension of Gordon removes any chance of team success but acknowledge his talent and that he was starting to make plays, an his loss won’t help. The team was successful without him and will continue to be.

I’d love to know the timing of the allegations against him and when it was he did what he wasn’t allowed to do, if the drug of abuse was weed, or something else. Does Gordon have a challenge of his suspension or is that done already? I want to know if it was here he broke the rules or in NE? If it was there I want him back, if it was for weed only, I expect the rules to change and help his situation.

More information is needed here. Hopefully we find out what happened.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Smellyman":2m0p6iof said:
Sgt. Largent":2m0p6iof said:
Torc":2m0p6iof said:
Yxes1122":2m0p6iof said:
My assumption is that NE had the inside track on this and released him. That team needs offensive weapons right now.

But even if they didn't... The far more likely thing is that the guy with something like 5 previous suspensions got suspended again for legitimate reasons.

Dude came up clutch a few times, which sucks, but it's not like we lost Lockett.

This all the way. NE knew he'd been tested and that a suspension was in the works. They're far too desperate for receivers to let him go for free otherwise. No conspiracy theory necessary.

...................And without Gordon making those two key 3rd down catches in the Niner game, we don't win that game.

So if the very least he's done as his time in Seattle is help us win that one game, that's enough. He didn't come at any cost, so it was all gravy to begin with, and he helped us win the most important game of the season.

The 3rd down slant where he picked the ball up off his showlaces with Sherman all over him was an elite catch, maybe Lockett's the only other receiver on this roster that could have caught that ball.

Make no mistake, Gordon's 3rd down catches were a big part of winning that game.........and again, if that's all he contributed to the Hawks this year? That's enough for me.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Smellyman":60w0sfch said:

Who else has Russell thrown slants like that to? We just don't seem to throw that many. Gordon's catches vs. SF stood out because they were different-looking plays than we usually get 3rd down conversions on. 49ers didn't come in expecting us to run those with our short QB. And yes, one was an elite play, with Sherman hanging all over him.

Thank you, Josh Gordon, for a couple difference-making clutch plays in that 49er game. Get it together and come back when you can hold it together. Lots of us will be waiting and hoping.

chris98251

Reaction score
Wilson likes him and thinks he may be back as a Seahawk, everything positive he could have done he has done as a Seahawk other then this suspension issue.