Goodell wants to ban "Tush Push"

49fansinceBrodie

Reaction score
How many injuries have occurred during the tush push plays? A quick google found that 2 Giants were injured doing it. Anyone else? If you claim high injury risk, then you need to show data to support that.

I'm reminded of Kam Chancellor hurdling the line during a field goal attempt. He honed it to be legal (not touching the offensive line, not using other peoples bodies to push himself off), and the NFL banned it because it worked and it seemed like only one player was very successful at it.
Article with this quote:
Head coach Kyle Shanahan on Wednesday talked about the so called “tush push” and how the 49ers are coaching to defend that play.

“You just coach it up, tell them where we want guys and stuff,” Shanahan said. “We’re not going to spend a lot of time on it, but we’re going to talk about it, show it, and do as good as we can.” “We’re going to do like 10 live reps of it today and see if we have anybody left after it,” Shanahan joked. “No, you don’t practice it.”

Admittedly that was guesswork on my part that they feared injury, but then why else not make an attempt to stop the unstoppable?

Yahoo Article

Torc

Reaction score
Yeah, people keeping talking up the injury risk, but I don't see any evidence of a severe risk from it. Kyle isn't talking about how many people HAVE been injured, just jokes about "no, you don't practice it" like everyone just knows it's going to result in injuries.

I'm open to being proven wrong, but so far it seems like the league doesn't like it because it's automatic for one team and other teams haven't figured out how to duplicate it yet.

OneLofaTatupu

Reaction score
Of course, there was once a rule that you couldn't push or assist the ballcarrier but it was rarely called so it was removed from the rulebook. So of course someone takes advantage of the loophole, that's how you win (that way, you can gang up on the weaker ones, just like in dodgeball). Coaches don't like to practice against it because they fear someone would get hurt, so they want to ban it. It makes sense to me, the rule never should have been removed in the first place. Eventually they may just try catapulting people over the line of gain by building a human trebuchet.
Man that sounds fun

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
They should ban all pushing of a ball carrier, like it used to be.

James in PA

Reaction score
The NFL doesn't like automatics, which is why they moved the extra point back. Sure, it only seems to be automatic for Philly right now, but that's one team too many. And the last thing they want is more teams getting good at it. It's just an ugly looking play too.

WmHBonney

Reaction score
KJ has repeatedly said that he knows how to stop it but that he is not giving that info away for free....