Things we may see from here on out on defense

blkhwk

Reaction score
1. more blitzing from the front seven. There is definitely enough talent up front to bring some pressure. Brees, Manning, Clemens, Palmer are not big run threats. Kaep needs a spy, but the 'Hawks have show over the last year + they know how to contain him.

2. ET may play the slot depending on matchups. Probably a long shot, but possible.

3. Much more "basketball" style defense where Sherm gets the other guys best receiver etc.

4. No real major changes. Maxwell and Lane have seen some good time this year due to injuries and blow outs, other than the Saints, it isn't really murderers row of passing teams.

(As I am typing this, Kaep is looking like Dan Marino!! :p )

Blitzer88

Reaction score
If we have to blitz consistently to get pressure, we will be in trouble. We have to create pressure from our 4 down lineman.

OP
OP
B

blkhwk

Reaction score
Using the Saints as an example, their DB's are pretty average, but they blitz a lot, creating opportunities for their secondary. Don't think we'll see it consistently, but may see more.

Throwdown

Reaction score
I don't think we're going to see anything different, Max and Lane are fiiiiine

OP
OP
B

blkhwk

Reaction score
Throwdown":133sslzy said:
I don't think we're going to see anything different, Max and Lane are fiiiiine

My thoughts exactly as I was typing the original post, just assuring myself that the defense will be fine, & something different from suspension posts!

Vetamur

Reaction score
Its not horrible yet. Sherman will still lock down the left side. ET will probably be positioned more "pass defence" than "read and react" and generally the side he patrols is essentially locked down. To make up for ET being more in pure pass D its possible that Kam will be placed in the box more.

I dont think we will be more vulnerable to deep passes but the underneath slants may be easier to hit. Wagner is going to have to return to form as an effective coverage guy. He hasnt been great this year.

Its time to be great.

XxxZagnutxxX

Reaction score
blkhwk":sgfvh975 said:
Using the Saints as an example, their DB's are pretty average, but they blitz a lot, creating opportunities for their secondary. Don't think we'll see it consistently, but may see more.

Saints fans here this week say they don't blitz very often.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
More press because they'll be on the field less because our O will explode now is healthy--harvin and okung in particular.

OP
OP
B

blkhwk

Reaction score
XxxZagnutxxX":5ekseil1 said:
blkhwk":5ekseil1 said:

Have watched them a couple of times this year...... I guess 5-6 guys rushing the QB isn't blitzing anymore?????? Their DC is Rob Ryan who is know to blitz

Anyway, doesn't matter, blitzing is one way of limiting time a QB has to throw, and covering for weakness in the secondary, & the Saints DB's are pretty average.

keatonisballin

Reaction score
Havent Lane and Maxwell been the cb's who have given up TD's in garbage time in like 3 games this year? Against Jax, Atl and Min?

kmedic

Reaction score
I think the coaching staff has confidence in Maxwell, but not as sure about Lane. I'm guessing Winfield will compete with Lane, particularly for defending the slot WR. I don't think the suspension of Browner means as much as Thurmond's suspension. Sure, we could have used Browner in the playoffs, but I agree with other posters around here his time here was ending soon. If our pass rush is ineffective, Browner can be exposed- see Titans game as a prime example. Remember he was so bad that PC had to pull him for a quarter. Thurmond is much more consistent and has better overall coverage skills. Losing him and settling for Maxwell is a definite downgrade. The way I see this is not so much Winfield or whoever stepping it up at CB but our defensive line getting more pressure on the QB. There will be no better test than that versus Drew Brees. If you give him enough time he will slice you up, even the LOB.

jafo

Reaction score
blkhwk":11yrbo5b said:
XxxZagnutxxX":11yrbo5b said:
blkhwk":11yrbo5b said:

Have watched them a couple of times this year...... I guess 5-6 guys rushing the QB isn't blitzing anymore?????? Their DC is Rob Ryan who is know to blitz

Anyway, doesn't matter, blitzing is one way of limiting time a QB has to throw, and covering for weakness in the secondary, & the Saints DB's are pretty average.

This is just dead wrong. Do we blitz at times? Yes but for the most part we rush 4 only. I wouldn't be surprised if Ryan did blitz more than usual this week though.

davidonmi

Reaction score
blkhwk":16tdpthc said:
(As I am typing this, Kaep is looking like Dan Marino!! :p )
they're playing the redskins, everyone looks like dan marino against them

Tical21

Reaction score
I would guess the noticeable change is that Earl Thomas is going to shade for hitters to pull, and play a little bit to left center, rather than just center field. Leave Sherm a little more on an island and give more help to Maxwell.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Lords of Scythia":2y0758ae said:
More press because they'll be on the field less because our O will explode now is healthy--harvin and okung in particular.
I definitely agree that the offense now has what it expected from the jump and it will get ugly quick.

Latest posts