The Richard Sherman Appreciation Thread

Northhawk

Reaction score
One can quibble over who is most responsible for the team's past success but Sherman was a big part of the LOB and he was the face of it.

He will always be a Hawk in eyes.

A.D.I.D.A.S.

Reaction score
jeremiah":5vql7v4g said:
hawknation2018":5vql7v4g said:
When it's all said and done, Sherman's cap hit will only be like $6 million this year (and even that amount requires him to avoid injury). Then they can release in one year with just over $3 million in dead money.

Most likely, Sherman will be one and done in Santa Clara. What a stupid contract he agreed to.

Am I missing something? He gets a $5 million signing bonus and $39 Million for 3 years. What is the amount of money he gets for year 1? I figure an injured player just got a big raise for the one year.

The full base value of the deal is $21.15 million, with another $18 million tied to per-game roster bonuses, annual 90-percent playing-time incentives, an annual Pro Bowl incentive, and an annual All-Pro incentive.

To get the full $39.15 million, Sherman will need to play all 48 regular-season games over the next three years, be on the field for at least 90 percent of the snaps, make it to the Pro Bowl every year, and qualify for the All-Pro team every year. Yes the contract is very Niner friendly, but he has to prove himself somehow.

HansGruber

Reaction score
This cuts deep.

I don't understand how the Seahawks could let Sherman walk for essentially $7m/yr. He should have retired a Seahawk. Out of all the guys we've released or traded, Sherman hurts the most. It doesn't make sense to me. What? He isn't worth at least as much as SF was willing to pay him? Crazy.

I'm starting to doubt Carroll and Schneider. To remain loyal to Bevell as long as they did, and then let one of the greatest Seahawks of all time leave town for that little money, in his prime, is just nonsense.

It's inexcusable to allow him to play in a Whiners jersey, and will be extremely insulting if he retires in one. Not cool at all. I'm pissed.

Crizilla

Reaction score
HansGruber":2oof6syt said:
This cuts deep.

I don't understand how the Seahawks could let Sherman walk for essentially $7m/yr. He should have retired a Seahawk. Out of all the guys we've released or traded, Sherman hurts the most. It doesn't make sense to me. What? He isn't worth at least as much as SF was willing to pay him? Crazy.

I'm starting to doubt Carroll and Schneider. To remain loyal to Bevell as long as they did, and then let one of the greatest Seahawks of all time leave town for that little money, in his prime, is just nonsense.

It's inexcusable to allow him to play in a Whiners jersey, and will be extremely insulting if he retires in one. Not cool at all. I'm pissed.

Sherman wanted a good deal. Probably deserved it (if the team can make the deal, which SF did). Assuming he's healthy and plays well over the next 3 years, he'll average out a lot more than $7m/year. The deal has major incentives the Seahawks just can't afford. I think the signing benefits both teams. It's business. If Sherm misses time or doesn't play well in 2018 then he could potentially bottom out around $2m in 2018 (not counting the $5m signing bonus). The signing bonus was the meat of the deal, IMO. John Lynch came up with an overall nice deal honestly it allows them to be weary of Sherman's injury.

It's simply not worth it for Schneider to resign Sherman to a monster deal since he's coming off a season-ending injury and you only have so much cap space. That's one of the reasons why the cap exists. To prevent teams from just buying all the best players. Trust me, if there was no salary cap like MLB, Seahawks would still have the entire LoB on insane contracts, plus Russ, etc. Probably would have paid the Superbowl winning Offensive Line big time too. It looks like Schneider is entering a mini rebuild with Russ, Wagner, and Thomas as the base.... And if they were ever to sign a legit Offensive Lineman, well, they would need the cap space to do that.

Latest posts