The KJ Wright penalty: How was he supposed to tackle?

AgentDib

Reaction score
I'm glad it didn't affect the outcome but this was easily one of the worst calls of the season in my view.

If the focus really is on safety then the penalty should be on the receiver when they go low and attempt to head butt the linebacker. It's the same as when a RB lowers the crown of their helmet or a player dives headfirst at a first down marker. Penalizing the defensive player for trying to make a stop when they only have a single low angle is really dumb and worsens the game.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
AgentDib":1duy7uvu said:
I'm glad it didn't affect the outcome but this was easily one of the worst calls of the season in my view.

If the focus really is on safety then the penalty should be on the receiver when they go low and attempt to head butt the linebacker. It's the same as when a RB lowers the crown of their helmet or a player dives headfirst at a first down marker. Penalizing the defensive player for trying to make a stop when they only have a single low angle is really dumb and worsens the game.
Yeah, it was total BS. The NFL should be embarrassed about the quality of their officiating, but they won’t be.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Another example of why targeting penalties should be allowed to be challenged. That was not a penalty.

BubbaGump

Reaction score
I agree that was a crap call. There was a call against Dunlap also, roughing the passer I believe, that I though was BS also. They only showed one quick clip of it but it looked ridiculous to me. I believe that penalty against Dunlap kept their drive alive and the scored a TD. I could be mistaken but I think it was their last scoring drive.

Reaction score
BubbaGump":2sfzpo05 said:
I agree that was a crap call. There was a call against Dunlap also, roughing the passer I believe, that I though was BS also. They only showed one quick clip of it but it looked ridiculous to me. I believe that penalty against Dunlap kept their drive alive and the scored a TD. I could be mistaken but I think it was their last scoring drive.
On the Dunlap call, he basically caught the QB with a forearm shiver to the neck...watching the replay I thought it was legit after all.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

jammerhawk

Reaction score
He did not initiate the contact the offensive player did and he lowered his head. if he is fined for that play I think he and a player's assoc. should appeal the fine. I don't know what else he could have done on the play except to not tackle the offensive player.

I was outraged with that penalty which was pure rubbish, nonsense, or more accurately total BS.

LTH

Reaction score
AgentDib":gienb0he said:

Crappy call :pukeface:

LTH

Rat

Reaction score
That kind of thing gets called a lot. Sucks, but the league is under insane pressure to lower head injuries, and unfortunately, these things are just going to happen sometimes.

BubbaGump

Reaction score
Chrome_Seahawk":18ky5urf said:
BubbaGump":18ky5urf said:
On the Dunlap call, he basically caught the QB with a forearm shiver to the neck...watching the replay I thought it was legit after all.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
I thought he got him on the chest, but like I said the broadcast only showed like one quick clip. If he got him in the neck that yeah it was legit.

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
hawkfan68":brju8yl6 said:
Another example of why targeting penalties should be allowed to be challenged. That was not a penalty.

This. I can see why a ref might flag it in real time. But looking at it on replay, he was clearly leading low with his shoulder and the receiver ducked into it. Plus, as the announcers said, he could easily be considered past the defenseless part of the play. It's not fair at all to the defenders that no matter where they aim, if the offensive player matches them it's a flag on the D. I'm glad they are taking unnecessary headshots out of the game but some penalties are ridiculously unfair.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
It was a poor call. Shoulder to shoulder contact. The receiver went down to catch the ball. What was Wright supposed to do? Step aside?

rcaido

Reaction score
Yeah that was bad...Then i saw the spot in the Falcons vs Bucs. I just cannot believe they called that a first down. Even the measurement show it was short. The replay. New York even reviewed... They really want Brady in the playoffs.

bloodkingg

Reaction score
It absolutely blew my mind that was a penalty. Essentially he's not allowed to tackle. He led with his shoulder and had exact proper form. If they're not allowed to touch the receivers helmet at all - that's fine, just don't make up that rule on a 4th down late in the game. Create the rule before the season starts and let people know.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
rcaido":1w5oeu1g said:
Yeah that was bad...Then i saw the spot in the Falcons vs Bucs. I just cannot believe they called that a first down. Even the measurement show it was short. The replay. New York even reviewed... They really want Brady in the playoffs.
Yeah, I would love to hear the ref’s and NFL’s explanation on the Tampa spot. Even the announcers couldn’t believe it when the official moved the ball up a whole yard.
Definite steering there.

evergreen

Reaction score
rcaido":1sc9f544 said:
That was amazing. It wasn't even close. He was at least a half yard shy. Then there's an inch between the ball and the marker which was the Tom Brady special spot.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Ya, I hated that call; but it's probably called 80% of the time, even when it looks like the receiver initiates by lowering their head.

OrangeGravy

Reaction score
Rat":36y482d7 said:
That kind of thing gets called a lot. Sucks, but the league is under insane pressure to lower head injuries, and unfortunately, these things are just going to happen sometimes.
If they were under pressure from anyone for real, they would do more than just make it appear that they are reducing head injuries. Nothing they've done reduces anything. It's all window dressing.